Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409
For someone that is considered by many as the 'Great Communicator' - you think he would damned well best be making speeches IN CONTEXT to get his message across perfectly.
He did make the speech in context and anyone who saw or read the whole thing knows it.

Where it breaks down is when certain 'news' channels who are shills for Romney, edit the video to dishonestly distort what the President actually said.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
He did make the speech in context and anyone who saw or read the whole thing knows it.

Where it breaks down is when certain 'news' channels who are shills for Romney, edit the video to dishonestly distort what the President actually said.
Nothing was taken "out of context." He values the government over individual initiative. He simply let the mask slip and let his ideology out of the closet for a rare moment of truth. Us conservatives are going to hammer him with it because he has really defined the election: Do you want a government-centric society or an individual-centric society? The liberals want government to be involved in everything. That's fine, but conservatives disagree. Obama did everyone a real favor with his honesty: we're now going to have a "big election" about competing visions for society. Now that the debate has been framed, I'm pretty sure the statists, represented by Oblama, are going to lose. There are still enough Americans who believe in individualism and American exceptionalism. If the malignant twit wins a second term, that calculus might change because his sole goal is to make as many Americans dependent on government as possible.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Bill Gates, Sr., testified before the Senate in 2001 when they were debating the Estate Tax, and asked, if given the choice, how much would a newborn be willing to pay at the time of death for the opportunity to be born in America instead of Ethiopia? He presumed it would be quite a bit.

I am actually getting tired of all the whining from the right-wing that because Obama believes that because some businesses pay little taxes and others behave badly enough that they should be regulated, Obama is "anti-business." It's just crazy talk. In just about every speech, Obama praises private enterprise.

What's even more unnerving is Romney whining that because Mr. Obama questions low taxes on the rich and believes that financial companies should be regulated, that amounts to the president "attacking success." That's crazy talk too.

F. Scott Fitzgerald was right, "The very rich are different from you and me," -- they're thin-skinned whiners.
It's always nice when Bill Gates can avoid estate taxes by giving most of his money to charity. He ensures his immortal legacy, can push his agenda, and avoids taxes at the same time. Kind of ironic that Buffett agrees with Gates yet does the same exact thing to skirt their tax obligation. Win-win.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:14 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Nothing was taken "out of context." He values the government over individual initiative.
Seriously? You want to pretend that?

Do you have any idea what the sentence was immediately before the sound bite?

Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Seriously? You want to pretend that?

Do you have any idea what the sentence was immediately before the sound bite?
I've asked what the subject of the word "that" was a couple of times now. The LIARS don't wanta touch that question becuz they'd have to admit they're lying.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:23 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So why are business owners ridiculed and told they didn't do anything if they in fact built the very roads obama is crying about?
Oh my goodness., Now business owners are being ridiculed!1!!1!! Oh the mock outrage! Hey KUChief please link to where businesses owners are being ridiculed? Come on do it ya nancy man.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Nothing was taken "out of context." He values the government over individual initiative. He simply let the mask slip and let his ideology out of the closet for a rare moment of truth. Us conservatives are going to hammer him with it because he has really defined the election: Do you want a government-centric society or an individual-centric society? The liberals want government to be involved in everything. That's fine, but conservatives disagree. Obama did everyone a real favor with his honesty: we're now going to have a "big election" about competing visions for society. Now that the debate has been framed, I'm pretty sure the statists, represented by Oblama, are going to lose. There are still enough Americans who believe in individualism and American exceptionalism. If the malignant twit wins a second term, that calculus might change because his sole goal is to make as many Americans dependent on government as possible.
Oh really, keep telling yourself that.

Conservatives Selectively Edit President Obama’s Speech To Claim He Hates Small Businesses

Slate: How partisans gave special meaning to Obama’s words, “you didn't build that.”

Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I've asked what the subject of the word "that" was a couple of times now. The LIARS don't wanta touch that question becuz they'd have to admit they're lying.
From the speech (with my comments included in BOLD):
Quote:
Cr*p loads of stupid platitudes not worth repeating blah blah blah America is great...
THE PRESIDENT: Well, first of all, like I said, the only way you can pay for that -- if you’re actually saying you’re bringing down the deficit -- is to cut transportation, cut education, cut basic research, voucherize Medicare, and you’re still going to end up having to raise taxes on middle-class families to pay for this $5 trillion tax cut. YEAH BECAUSE OF OBAMA/PELOSI/REIDs stupid stimulus and giveaways for the last four years That’s not a deficit reduction plan. That’s a deficit expansion plan.
I’ve got a different idea. I do believe we can cut -- we’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make some more cuts in programs that don’t work, and make government work more efficiently. (Applause.) Not every government program works the way it’s supposed to. And frankly, government can’t solve every problem. If somebody doesn’t want to be helped, government can’t always help them. Parents -- we can put more money into schools, but if your kids don’t want to learn it’s hard to teach them. You had FOUR years to reduce the size of government. Last time I checked we STILL have the dept of energy and education, et al. (Applause.)
But you know what, I’m not going to see us gut the investments that grow our economy to give tax breaks to me or Mr. Romney or folks who don’t need them. So I’m going to reduce the deficit in a balanced way. We’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make another trillion or trillion-two, and what we then do is ask for the wealthy to pay a little bit more. (Applause.) And, by the way, we’ve tried that before -- a guy named Bill Clinton did it. We created 23 million new jobs, turned a deficit into a surplus, and rich people did just fine. We created a lot of millionaires. OMG Not this again. Yeah, conveniently forget this was built on a bubble where many of these same people lost everything shortly afterwards. Clinton was just lucky he got out when he did.

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.) So people who made it are not supposed to feel good about it? That is the ever so important context we're supposedly missing?

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. (Obama says you need more government) There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. (Obama says you need more government) Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. (Obama says you need more government) Somebody invested in roads and bridges. (Obama says you need more government)

If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. (Obama says you need more government) Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. (Obama says you need more government)

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. (Obama says you need more government) I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires. (Uh we already paid our taxes for that, quit giving out huge pensions nobody can pay for, or better yet get the extra taxes you need from the bankers you gave trillions of dollars to)

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. (Obama says you need more government) That’s how we created the middle class. (Uh really) That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. (Obama says you need more government) That’s how we invented the Internet. (Obama says you need more government) That’s how we sent a man to the moon. (Obama says you need more government) We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together. So no individual effort anymore, all of you need the government to help you, <sarcasm> very inspirational </sarcasm> (Applause.)
So all these issues go back to that first campaign that I talked about, because everything has to do with how do we help middle-class families, working people, strivers, doers -- how do we help them succeed? How about this, let the business owners create businesses to hire the middle class? How do we make sure that their hard work pays off? That’s what I've been thinking about the entire time I've been President. Yeah you had four years, not much to show for

Now, over the next four months, the other side is going to spend more money than we've even seen in history. And they don’t really have a good argument for how they would do better, but they're thinking they can win the election if they just remind people that a lot of people are still out of work, and the economy is not growing as fast as it needs to, and it's all Obama's fault. That’s basically their pitch. Look you had four years and put the country in reverse.
So there's your precious context everyone was bawling for.

Pretty much supports his main theme (of which this thread talks about) of business owners cannot take credit for their success, they owe it to the government.

Don't just say "look at the context", point out specifically what the President says which makes me think otherwise, else you're just full of it.

Last edited by jkbatca; 07-20-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's always nice when Bill Gates can avoid estate taxes by giving most of his money to charity. He ensures his immortal legacy, can push his agenda, and avoids taxes at the same time. Kind of ironic that Buffett agrees with Gates yet does the same exact thing to skirt their tax obligation. Win-win.
Umm, you do realize that the quote was from Bill Gates, Sr., the father of the Microsoft founder, right? Dad doesn't give away his most of his money to charity.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Let’s be honest. Mr. Obama was not making some new argument. What he was doing is regurgitating the same tired argument made by the most extreme members of the progressive movement for the purpose of justifying the taking of extreme portions of the wealth successful people have earned.

We have seen this argument many times from the hard left. It is extreme and it is designed to punish success is really exploitation of workers. This is what Obama meant.

“If you own a business, you didn’t build that somebody else made that happen”
Barak Hussein Obama
July 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies