Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Sorry. worst ever goes to the baby boomers.

those of us who followed have a mess to clean up....

The good news about GenY is they will likely rebell against those who came before.... the ones who have been messing the country up. go genY!
Then it will be Gen Y's turn to mess up and, in 30 years time, their kids will be whining about how it isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,411,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Then it will be Gen Y's turn to mess up and, in 30 years time, their kids will be whining about how it isn't fair.

actually I am hopeful for GenY. I think they have some bottom to them! (im genX and we were just totally messed up by our Baby Boomer parents).

Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,956,570 times
I'm an older generation y (1986) and am very grateful to have grown up in a household with no cable or other unnecessary luxuries. That said, our current state of affairs can be blamed on all generations alive and well today. Most see injustice and corruption but make the choice to ignore it.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 07-16-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,346,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm an older generation y (1986) and am very grateful to have grown up in a household with no cable or other unnecessary luxuries. That said, our current state of affairs can be blamed on all generations alive and well today. Most see injustice and corruption but make the choice to ignore it.
I'm on the older side too (1987). I'm going to go to the bat for our generation here. I don't think we are responsible for ANY of the bad things going on in the world's economies today. The majority of Yers are still children for goodness sakes. At the time of the recession in 2007 even the oldest of us were only 23 years old. How exactly did we contribute to the mess that our economy is in today?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,427,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I'm on the older side too (1987). I'm going to go to the bat for our generation here. I don't think we are responsible for ANY of the bad things going on in the world's economies today. The majority of Yers are still children for goodness sakes. At the time of the recession in 2007 even the oldest of us were only 23 years old. How exactly did we contribute to the mess that our economy is in today?
We're also the generation with the most hours of volunteer/charity work.

Baby boomers are just looking for excuses for their own screw ups without taking responsibility.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,346,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
We're also the generation with the most hours of volunteer/charity work.

Baby boomers are just looking for excuses for their own screw ups without taking responsibility.
I wish I could say I volunteered as much as my peers. lol. I'll work on that.

I can't help but feel you are right about the boomers blaming others though. A lot of the things that are today viewed as having negative effects on our economy didn't start popping up until they took the reigns of our economy.

Take outsourcing jobs for instance. Outsourcing didn't happen on such a large scale until the boomers took the reigns of the economy in the late 70s. Do you ever here them take the blame for this though? Nope!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,964,297 times
Just a product of their upbringing. Taught to look down their nose at honest work for the most part. Not always taught the value of honestly, but instead, seeking the best possible outcome for yourself as an individual. Collective gains are irrelevant. Laziness was tolerated. Heck, if it meant JR was safe at home, it was sometimes rewarded. Helicopter parents have largely left their children incapable of fending for themselves in the real world. The transition can often be slow and grueling to watch. Problem solving skills? That's what parents are for. And when it comes to supporting themselves financially, that is also the parent's job for many. I forget what the statistic was, but a scary percentage of young adults require financial support from their parents to make ends meet, even after college. These type of traits will not serve them well in the workforce.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,956,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I agree, but there are still many in our generation that are willing to let those in power continue in their destructive and greedy ways. Occupy Wall Street was a pretty big divider when it should have been a HUGE unifier. Now, it has been effectively splintered and taken down, much like the original Tea Party was.
Don't know who said it but, "There are two kinds of evil people in this world: those who commit evil acts and those who see evil but do nothing to stop it."

I don't mean to sound so negative though, I honestly do believe in our generation's ability to flip the system on it's head and start a new, more transparent, peaceful and democratic chapter in America, and thus the World.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Ovcatto and chielgirl have hit it out the park, nothing else needs to be said.
Ditto

Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,144,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
You mean generation Y work?
If they can find work. In 2010, 54% of Americans under 25 were either unemployed or underemployed.

Who outsourced all the jobs?? The 23 year old CEO's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies