Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Or she wanted her kid to be able to swim in a way that any reasonable person would allow.

If we are so down on the teenage lifeguard's judgment abilities, why allow a teenager to be a lifeguard in the first place? Sounds like they're pretty useless.
And how many pools will remain open and available to the public if the lifeguards were adults fully educated and in legal issues making $80,000 a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That was uncalled for. The kids are there to make sure everyone is safe, to make sure that people follow safety rules, and to jump in to rescue someone who's drowning if need be. They need to watch the pool constantly without distraction, and they aren't allowed to have discussions of more than a word or two with visitors while they're on duty. Again, the concern is that the kids will make snap judgements without questions. I'm not sure why it's a problem to have the individual requesting an accommodation to check in with the pool manager.
I was mostly being sarcastic. People keep saying that the teenage lifeguard can't be expected to make a judgement call on making accommodations as required by the ADA - how can you say that when they are expected to make dozens of calls a day in keeping a pool safe?

I don't think I've ever been to a pool with a pool manager on site outside of places like the YMCA. The pool I grew up going to had a 16 year old lifeguard and... that was it.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
In this case the mother was wrong.

This has nothing to do with advocacy. If it had been me I would have known the rules beforehand. And if floaties are not allowed than having her child wear them is not having him participate the same as other kids; its making an exception for her child. Floaties are not toys. If the child had been using a life jacket, a noodle or even a swim ring I could see the mother having a case here but she didn't. She wanted to use what she wanted to use period. That is not advocacy.
What if the floatie worked to help her child balance in the pool better than a different device? Then it's perfectly appropriate. What works for an able bodied kid isn't the same as what works for a kid with disabilities. She wasn't dumping the kid in water up to her neck with a floatie on--according to the article she was right there in the water with her and the floaties helped her balance. A submerged life jacket would raise you up out of the water vs. letting you walk in the pool.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
What if the floatie worked to help her child balance in the pool better than a different device? Then it's perfectly appropriate. What works for an able bodied kid isn't the same as what works for a kid with disabilities. She wasn't dumping the kid in water up to her neck with a floatie on--according to the article she was right there in the water with her and the floaties helped her balance. A submerged life jacket would raise you up out of the water vs. letting you walk in the pool.
You can "what if" this all day long I will STILL find fault with the parent.

Anytime I take my son somewhere, I check the rules first. If I think he will need something special I call about it before I get there and try to make arrangements. I do this for my son; not for me. I can't imagine how being thrown out a pool especially by the police would affect him. Aside from that I find it hard to believe that with all the special needs equipment available the floaties were the ONLY thing that worked for her child. Nothing else on the list of acceptable devices would have worked?

Even if I did feel I was in the wrong; I would have left quietly and took the issue up with someone in charge.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Two of my kids work as lifeguards at our local pool. They have the teenage lifeguards refer the request for accommodations to the adult pool manager (who is ALWAYS onsite) because they don't want to put the kids in the situation of making judgement calls on that issue--the city wants them to handle it that way for liability purposes. They also want the kids watching the pool vs. having a lengthy discussion with a visitor. I think the concern is that if someone doesn't look like they have a disability, a teenager might get a little too rigid about the rules without asking reasonable questions. Referring visitors to the adult pool manager to approve accommodations is a "cover your backside from a lawsuit" policy.
This makes sense.

I would just hope the manager had the common sense to accommodate people with disabilities.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
The disabled kid did not buy the Floaties at Walmart.

They don't allow disabled kids to buy things at self check out.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Disabled Child Kicked Out of Pool by Police for Wearing Floaties [Video] « WiLD 94.1

Most of the articles are video only (work blocks them) so while this is not a mainstream site there are other, video links below.

I am a rules are the rules person so I have to say that while the rules are the rules the cops? Really?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Disabled Boy Kicked Out of Pool Over Floaties | FOX8.com
oh well! If you don't think they should have called the police, perhaps she shouldn't have called the media either. I don't see this as a national news story. She should comply with the rules, and complain to her local city council or something. I don't have a problem with the way they handled it.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I am with the pool place on this one. Guess who is the first one who gets sued if that same disabled child slips out of the water wings and gets hurt or dies?
It also sets a bad president for other kids to see that and do the same.

What would I do? Require a life jacket in the pool for such a severely disabled person or child in these litigious days.
I would have the mother support him, which she did for awhile, but she got tired. That's her problem.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Lifeguard was my high school job (and did some at my college pool too). Anytime I saw a kid with arm floats inch away from where he could stand (or god forbid on the diving board) "oh crap" started to go through my mind and s/he definitely received heightened attention (or if on the diving board me screaming "stop"). Water wings generally meant overconfident kid who nonetheless couldn't swim and was often times left unsupervised. I had to go in the water 4 times as a lifeguard, and 3 of them were for kids with arm floats.

I side with the pool on this one.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
I just wish the story would have concluded with the cop saying to the lifeguard "What are you doing on the phone calling me when you should have been keeping an eye on that boy swimming".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies