Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The DJI closed just over 13,000 today. How are they finally "starting" to see some of that come back? Unless they were retards and sold at the bottom, they're completely back above board.
I would not call these people retards, just conservative. There was no guarantee that we would not see a major crash as per the Great Depression. 'Experts' were shaky concerning the market at that time. Maybe you just threw caution to the wind and gambled the farm and it payed off. Many have been burned by that mindset. Don't be so quick to judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have seen the same thing. people depending on the company retirement plan. It is a good plan, but only a fool puts all his eggs into 1 basket.... Such a fool invites his own disaster.
No, these are people who thought they would actually be able to work through any problems, and many had their jobs outsourced. But your point is well taken.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I would not call these people retards, just conservative. There was no guarantee that we would not see a major crash as per the Great Depression. 'Experts' were shaky concerning the market at that time. Maybe you just threw caution to the wind and gambled the farm and it payed off. Many have been burned by that mindset. Don't be so quick to judge.
And how much lower than Dow 6,000 could it have gone? Sorry, but your argument holds no water, because a large chunk of the companies in the Dow were financially fit, they were just getting beaten up by the spineless who didn't know how to manage their portfolios. At Dow 6000 from Dow 11,000, you're already at a point to where you should just ride it out if you have any sense about you. It clearly wasn't going to go to Dow 3000 and sit there.

So yes, anybody who sold at the bottom was retarded with their money. And yes, I was a buyer starting at Dow 7000 and bought all the way to the bottom, and didn't start taking profits until Dow 11,000. It wasn't throwing caution to the wind - it was having a solid understanding of market fundamentals and economic reality.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
And how much lower than Dow 6,000 could it have gone? Sorry, but your argument holds no water, because a large chunk of the companies in the Dow were financially fit, they were just getting beaten up by the spineless who didn't know how to manage their portfolios. At Dow 6000 from Dow 11,000, you're already at a point to where you should just ride it out if you have any sense about you. It clearly wasn't going to go to Dow 3000 and sit there.

So yes, anybody who sold at the bottom was retarded with their money. And yes, I was a buyer starting at Dow 7000 and bought all the way to the bottom, and didn't start taking profits until Dow 11,000. It wasn't throwing caution to the wind - it was having a solid understanding of market fundamentals and economic reality.
And I am certain that those who invested during the Great Depression before the second crash came thought the same thing - and many ended up jumping out of windows. You were lucky.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
And I am certain that those who invested during the Great Depression before the second crash came thought the same thing - and many ended up jumping out of windows. You were lucky.
The 1930's != the late 2000's.

There are simply too many other sectors for the Dow to completely fail. The economy is too globalized for it to completely fail. Completely different scenarios, and anybody who was thinking 1930's in 2007 was too stupid for their own good, and needed to hire someone to manage their money. Luck had nothing to do with it. The ability to understand that there were companies that were trading at less than 1x forward earnings did.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Stock market "unpredictable"? Truer words were never spoken! But rising interest rates will make fixed-income paper more attractive for investors. That's why a diversified portfolio -- either self-managed or through a reputable financial service -- is a must. Include stocks AND bonds/fixed income instruments. It's a lot like owning parts of two horses in a two-horse race. Of course, you have to be in the game for the long run, and resist the temptation to cash in your chips when you're losing...

Buy low, sell high. I have that tattooed on my forehead in reverse.
x 2 for diversification, buying low/selling high, and all the bolded

Some other key concepts people should focus on are:
-dollar cost averaging see buy low/sell high
(just start saving ... NOW! and keep saving regardless of what the market is doing at any one instant)
-proper asset allocation
(consider your risk tolerance, your time horizon, and don't forget to think globally)
-regularly scheduled re-balancing see buy low/sell high
(regardless of what the market is doing at any one instant)
-you cannot 'time' the market, so don't even try to
-don't act or decide based on your emotions, especially fear or greed

Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,482 times
Many states now have laws requiring adult children to pay for their elderly parents expenses. Some states put these laws on the books recently, foreseeing a time when the cuts in Medicare/Medicaid would result in tight times for state budgets.

Most people I talk to do not know of the existence of these laws, mostly because states haven't been enforcing them nor have others been suing under those laws to collect. However, that is changing rapidly. See the 2nd link for a guy who was successfully sued for $93K when his mother's Medicaid application didn't kick in fast enough after a car crash - the nursing home where his mother stayed briefly post crash decided it made more sense to come after him than wait on the Medicaid possibility. His mother had left the country after being discharged from the nursing home, and so I'm not even sure exactly how "destitute" she was. This was in Pennsylvania, and has been through the trial court and appellate levels there, thus so far, the son is on the hook for this.

In a nutshell, in a majority of states children may now be held legally responsible for the debts of their elderly parents, ie a judgment can be obtained and their assets potentially liquidated to pay their elderly parents bills - whether their parents were the victims of bad circumstances beyond their control, or whether they are have always been irresponsible. Once the children are stripped of their assets, then I guess you have another group of people who will be potentially destitute and need assistance.

However one feels about these laws, this whole deal really isn't going to end well - the only question is for whom will it not end well? Many believe kids should be the ones to help their elderly parents but aren't as comfortable now that it isn't just a nice theory but a reality where they can be forced do so whether it makes sense to do so or not (if their parents are spendthrifts or gamblers, if their limited resources were to be used for their own ailing child or their own illness, to name just a few scenarios).

Requiring Adult Children to Pay for Aging Parents - ElderLawAnswers Articles

Son Hit With Aging Parent's $93K Nursing Home Bill - Forbes

Here is a list of states with filial responsibility laws (but I read that CT may have rescinded theirs):

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...A/30states.pdf

**I'm only up to page 4 on dialup, so sorry if this has already been mentioned.**

Last edited by sugarsugar; 08-01-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The most I've ever made in a year is $17K, how much did you expect me to have to show for it?
and yet you say you are in your 50's

17k is the MOST you EVER made????

17k is 8.17 an hour

straight out of high school I was making $9 an hour as a new car prep for a chevy dealership...and that was 30 years ago

you are at fault for never having the initiative to make your self better

read a book
take a course....even just a lecture
have someone teach you

heck even ditchdiggers make more money than that

Last edited by workingclasshero; 08-01-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
how can people have less than 30k

the stock market was up around 14k in late 2007...by 2009 it dropped down to 6k...time to invest..I doubled my contribution to my 401k at 6k...have made back EVERY PENNY and then some since the drop..and I came into the 401k investing late in the ball game

if you invested in the stock market when it was 1500...the drop to 6000 was still a 400% increase

Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how can people have less than 30k

the stock market was up around 14k in late 2007...by 2009 it dropped down to 6k...time to invest..I doubled my contribution to my 401k at 6k...have made back EVERY PENNY and then some since the drop..and I came into the 401k investing late in the ball game

if you invested in the stock market when it was 1500...the drop to 6000 was still a 400% increase
Please give me the name of your crystal ball dealer. I want one just like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies