Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
huh???

what exact right time??

most companies (to include mccdonalds) offer 401k's and/or profit sharing
most companies will match up to a certain percentage (usually 5% or 10%)

let's say you make 40k

you contribute 10% to you 401k weekly....thats only 76 a week..the price of going out to Red Lobster

a recession hits (the stock market falls from 14k to 6k)...you INCREASE your contibution by BUYing more at 6k...which will have an increased value once the stockmarket goes back to 13k

its not rocket science...its not luck..its common sense
Common sense isn't so common.

401K is only the tip of the iceberg. I'l make a giant leap and say let's assume that most people have a 401K if it's available at their work. I'm talking about the big time investments in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc. If you have two kids in college, there's not disposable income to invest.

Invest 10% of a 40K income? Good lord, you're the one who's always saying that $250K is barely middle class on Long Island, and you're suggesting someone invest 10% of a 40K income? Here's a little story I found yesterday on "Planet Money" that tells how people at different income levels spend their money. Despite what you guys think, lower income people are not spending it all on i-pads, smart phones and the like.

How The Poor, The Middle Class And The Rich Spend Their Money : Planet Money : NPR

"Both the similarities and the differences are striking.

Everyone devotes a huge chunk of their budget to housing, for example. Poor, middle class and rich families spend similar shares of their budgets on clothing and shoes, and on food outside the home.

But poor families spend a much larger share of their budget on basic necessities such as food at home, utilities and health care. Rich families are able to devote a much bigger chunk of their spending to education, and a much, much bigger share to saving for retirement. (The retirement line includes contributions to Social Security and to private retirement plans, by the way.)"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The market DOES have to do with timing - our own lifespan. There comes a specific point at which we will need our investments no matter what the market is doing then.
It is similar to the real estate market. How many people thought of their homes as a major investment and thought they would just downsize upon retirement? Now the house has lost value and probably they have to stay put or just rent it out in the hopes that the market will recover.
No one said investing in stock markets did not involve time or timing. I said you cannot rely on timing the market and you should not try to. This statement is still true.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/op...etirement.html

How is this country supposed to deal with these peoples mismanagement of their lives? This is going to have dramatic effects on a ton of things
How many of these people had huge 401k's that tanked after Enron went up? How many lost large life savings in the past few years?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Invest 10% of a 40K income? Good lord, you're the one who's always saying that $250K is barely middle class on Long Island, and you're suggesting someone invest 10% of a 40K income? Here's a little story I found yesterday on "Planet Money" that tells how people at different income levels spend their money. Despite what you guys think, lower income people are not spending it all on i-pads, smart phones and the like.
I used 40K as an example..because I figured if I said 60k or 90k you would sit there and say "most people dont make that"...there is no pleasing some people

I make 60k a year....I used (prior to 2008) put 10% into my 401k....since 2009, I put 20% (pre-tax) into my 401k..my company matches up to 5%

the fact is that no-one who is working should have lost much in the 09 recession..especially since the stockmarket (which 401ks are mostly based on) has made back nearly all the losses

Quote:
and you're suggesting someone invest 10% of a 40K income?
uhm..that is the standard the people invest

Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
How many of these people had huge 401k's that tanked after Enron went up? ?
most of those made everything back and then some

Quote:
How many lost large life savings in the past few years
all have made back nearly everypenny

stock market jan 2007........12,400

stock market jan 2007........12,400

stock market oct 2007........14,000

stock market jan 2008........13,000

stock market nov 2008........9,600

stock market mar 2009........6,500

stock market jul 2012........13,000

anyone with a 401k shouyld have made everypenny back...and If they were smart/savvy they would have increased their investment when it dropped, since it was destined to bounce back (the only questions were, what was bottom?, and how fast/slow the bounce back would be?)

Last edited by workingclasshero; 08-02-2012 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
most of those made everything back and then some
As they say in NY, "Ged oudda he-ah!" Not if you had to retire before now. Not if a lot of things.

Quote:
I used 40K as an example..because I figured if I said 60k or 90k you would sit there and say "most people dont make that"...there is no pleasing some people

I make 60k a year....I used (prior to 2008) put 10% into my 401k....since 2009, I put 20% (pre-tax) into my 401k..my company matches up to 5%

the fact is that no-one who is working should have lost much in the 09 recession..especially since the stockmarket (which 401ks are mostly based on) has made back nearly all the losses

uhm..that is the standard the people invest
You didn't have kids in college then, did you? Isn't your oldest just now 18? You're going to learn a lot if s/he is going to college.

Re: the bold, see my link. It has a chart that shows how much people at different income levels invest. At 40K, unless you're single and living with a roommate or in Mom and Dad's home, you don't have 10% left over to invest.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As they say in NY, "Ged oudda he-ah!" Not if you had to retire before now. Not if a lot of things.

You didn't have kids in college then, did you? Isn't your oldest just now 18? You're going to learn a lot if s/he is going to college.

Re: the bold, see my link. It has a chart that shows how much people at different income levels invest. At 40K, unless you're single and living with a roommate or in Mom and Dad's home, you don't have 10% left over to invest.
Quote:
Not if you had to retire before now
uhm..for DECADES it has been told to 'investors' near retirment to use less risky avenues

Quote:
Not if you had to retire before now
HAD?? to retire..in the last 3 years???

sorry but your EXCUSE is LAME

Quote:
Isn't your oldest just now 18? You're going to learn a lot if s/he is going to college.
actually he has been in the "early college" program for the last 3 years..he graduated HS this year with not only a HS diploma, but also an assoiciates degree...he WORKS HIS BUT OFF,

Quote:
At 40K, unless you're single and living with a roommate or in Mom and Dad's home, you don't have 10% left over to invest
I call shenanigans......I was a single dad, renting an apartment making 30k and still put 10% away......

Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
uhm..for DECADES it has been told to 'investors' near retirment to use less risky avenues

HAD?? to retire..in the last 3 years???

sorry but your EXCUSE is LAME

actually he has been in the "early college" program for the last 3 years..he graduated HS this year with not only a HS diploma, but also an assoiciates degree...he WORKS HIS BUT OFF,

I call shenanigans......I was a single dad, renting an apartment making 30k and still put 10% away......
While there are no more "mandatory" retirements, have you heard of this thing in the rest of the US anyway (for all I know not on Long Island) called "the recession"? Lots of people's jobs just sorted of ended. Or, they got laid off and couldn't find another job. I know quite a few "consultants", meaning unemployed, in their 60s. Then there are those who have to retire for health reasons.

Glad your son has his associate's. That's not what I was referring to. You get a kid, or worse yet, two, at residential colleges, and THERE'S NOT MUCH LEFT!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
The bottom line is this: Excuse makers will always make excuses for why they weren't successful, why they didn't save, why they couldn't do this, why they couldn't do that.

People who believe in personal responsibility find a way to make it happen. Which is why these people will always be the "ruling class" over the unsuccessful types who make excuses and whine endlessly about how there's a "ruling class" that's just so evil because they have more.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The bottom line is this: Excuse makers will always make excuses for why they weren't successful, why they didn't save, why they couldn't do this, why they couldn't do that.

People who believe in personal responsibility find a way to make it happen. Which is why these people will always be the "ruling class" over the unsuccessful types who make excuses and whine endlessly about how there's a "ruling class" that's just so evil because they have more.
I agree. Too many people make excuses for why they don't save and invest.
They don't believe in "pay yourself first" even if it's just $20/week.
One can have as little as 5% taken from their paychecks for 401K investment.
Or enroll in DRIP with various companies and build up that portfolio over time.
Use that IRS refund to invest for your future, not buy the latest techno gadget.

Yes it takes restraint in this consumer oriented society so focused on "bling".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies