Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well thats why you dont put all your eggs into 1 basket and you never ever trust the Gov to do for you. Hell you never trust someone else to put your interests ahead of your own. If you do you sort of deserve what happens.
It would have been great if you had given me this advice 52 years ago when I started working. We were taught to trust the government in those days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,277 times
Couldn't the federal government just impose a tax on people that don't save for retirement. Same as they will for health insurance. Because we will all end up paying for people that don't save. Isn't that the rationale behind the tax for not having health insurance?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:34 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Couldn't the federal government just impose a tax on people that don't save for retirement. Same as they will for health insurance. Because we will all end up paying for people that don't save. Isn't that the rationale behind the tax for not having health insurance?
This government sissy nanny state crap is exactly the problem. It's not the governments job to save for their retirement, or their job to tax them for bad behaviors. If you want to punish them, just come out and do it instead of doing stupid piddly taxes. If you want to encourage savings, you let the people deal with their own retirement. When the younger generation is stuck dealing with their parents, who have nothing saved for retirement, maybe it will encourage them to start saving.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
How many of those below median income people have all the latest tech gadgets, cable TV,
eat at restaurants and spend money wastefully like most Americans do.

I was a single parent since my child was one year old and I managed to retire early.
It can be done with self-discipline and God's blessings.

I agree with you about the wasteful spending. My husband and I had no kids, but we never made much money...and were still able to retire at age 52---and with no pensions and with having to pay insurance out of pocket.

But while I agree with you about the self-discipline and don't want to get into a battle over religion, if it takes "God's blessings" to do it, then a good number of people are in trouble because God doesn't seem to bless everyone, or at least definitely not equally with things like health, decent and stable jobs, and yes, the intellect and wherewithal to make good decisions!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:43 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This government sissy nanny state crap is exactly the problem. It's not the governments job to save for their retirement, or their job to tax them for bad behaviors. If you want to punish them, just come out and do it instead of doing stupid piddly taxes. If you want to encourage savings, you let the people deal with their own retirement. When the younger generation is stuck dealing with their parents, who have nothing saved for retirement, maybe it will encourage them to start saving.
I agree.

I guess the point I was trying to make was missed.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It would have been great if you had given me this advice 52 years ago when I started working. We were taught to trust the government in those days...
LOL My Grandpa wasn't one to trust the Government. He trusted in himself. He taught us to be the same. If you dont work for it then you didnt earn it. You dont earn it then you dont deserve it. That means you have no right to demand it from someone else.
He was proud of his work on the WPA.. He often complained that we would be better suited doing the WPA again instead of welfare. I tend to agree. If people worked for it they could take pride in it.
Obama and company would love to get into private retirement accts. and divide the spoils. I was warned this could happen long before Obama made the scene. The hard left can't stand the idea of private retirements and people having more than those on social security. The fact that we actually worked for it and saved is less than relevant to those types.
I know 1 thing. I started working at 13 yearsold. I started saving for retirement at 17 and never stopped. Sometimes money was tight. I could only put a few dollars a week away. But I did it. I think what hurt the most was a divorce and she got half without ever having to work 1 minute of her life. The Irony of it is now she calls me and asks advice. She does what I do and she has built a nest egg of her own. LOL The shock for her was when she had to go get a job.
Good luck Bideshi I hope it all works out for you.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
How many of these people were "saving" the equity in their houses instead of at really low interest rates? The crash in housing prices both impoverished a high number of near retirement folks also produced bargains for young families.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
How is this country supposed to deal with these peoples mismanagement of their lives? This is going to have dramatic effects on a ton of things

Unfortunately, we have had a Nanny State for a few decades and people have been conditioned to let the government take care of them.

The solution is long term and includes the elimination of the Nanny State coupled with education about how to live responsibly beginning at an early age.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
So the proper behavior is to fear the government and Trust in ENRON or Mortgage Backed Secutities?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
We already do that. It's called social security and we all know how well that's working out. And yes, it's the same as Obamacare.... more big Nanny State. We need to eliminate the Nanny State, not expand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies