Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I believe Australia has always had very severe requirements on whom they would allow to stay in the country. You need a pile of money and/or a trade that they cannot fill internally.
Like Canada they have a preferred list of occupations and requirements you have to meet to get in. If you go there for school it isn't really an issue. They also have a program for lower tier workers, but I don't think those people can gain residency easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The biggest issue facing the younger generation(s) is the fact that we have to pay for the boomers retirement and health insurance while paying for our own and our own education. We can still move. We can still emigrate. If I was in a bad position and had no way out I would go to Australia and go to trade school. Their tradies make $$$$$, the country has almost no debt, they just found a huge oil reserve, etc. I might end up moving there anyway, but the cost of living even if you make $100K is still very high..
Why is that an issue ? That's been done since SS/medicare started.
Every generation has paid for the one before it.

Why are you special ? Do you want an exemption because "it's too hard" ?
Is this the typical "Mommy's special snowflake" who doesn't have to do anything they don't want to ?

Suck it up my friend. You're NOT special so quit your whining. The generation behind you will be doing the same one day.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why is that an issue ? That's been done since SS/medicare started.
Every generation has paid for the one before it.

Why are you special ? Do you want an exemption because "it's too hard" ?
Is this the typical "Mommy's special snowflake" who doesn't have to do anything they don't want to ?

Suck it up my friend. You're NOT special so quit your whining. The generation behind you will be doing the same one day.
When SS was started it was solely an insurance program AND there were more workers for every retiree. Now there are less workers and people treat it as a retirement plan.

It doesn't matter what the gen behind me is going to do because I don't plan to stay in a sinking ship.

Notice a disconnect here?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
I don't believe those stats....

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
That's not true. The fast food companies offer the benefits to employees not just managers. I also know for a fact that WMT offers benefits to full and part time employees.
Maybe WallMart, due to all the bad press, has opened up to some of its employees, but even then, they pay so low that many people working for them actually are on government food stamp programs, so how much could they possibly have to save for their futures?

When you think of people working so hard there, for such a pittance, no wonder some reach a low place in their souls and become despondent and just want to give up. Of course, they should not, as there is always hope, but they are not usually people who have come from upper middle class homes and viewing their misery as a temporary setback.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Maybe WallMart, due to all the bad press, has opened up to some of its employees, but even then, they pay so low that many people working for them actually are on government food stamp programs, so how much could they possibly have to save for their futures?

When you think of people working so hard there, for such a pittance, no wonder some reach a low place in their souls and become despondent and just want to give up. Of course, they should not, as there is always hope, but they are not usually people who have come from upper middle class homes and viewing their misery as a temporary setback.
Until the government regulates who can and cannot have kids that will always be the case. Having kids is expensive and some people don't wait to have kids.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've done that, it works short-term, then those financial speed bumps of life (car repair, medical bill, etc) wipe it out.
Some people are in worse shape then others. Mostly by their own choices in life. If you made bad choices it will take you longer to get out of the hole.

You say you have student loans. Did you go to school full time? Did you go to a Community College or a regular college?

What was your major?

What are you doing to rectify your situation?

Do you work 2 jobs? (You seem to spend alot of time on here so I assume you have a lot of free time.)

Are you taking courses on line? etc.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I had never heard of any benefits offered with menial (literal) burger-flipping jobs, so I had always assumed benefits were nonexistent. It was always start at minimum wage, nothing to negotiate. Is that why older applicants don't get hhired for these jobs?
"so I had always assumed" This is 1 of your biggest hangups. Instead of taking good advice you THINK you know everything by "assuming" rather then checking it out.

You asked for a source on IRA contribution by those on minimum wage.

Tell you what.

Give US your budget, down to the penny, and I'll bet amongst us, we can find money for you to save.

This your chance to prove you aren't just whining and feeling sorry for yourself and really want to do something.

Don't waste the opportunity.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"so I had always assumed" This is 1 of your biggest hangups. Instead of taking good advice you THINK you know everything by "assuming" rather then checking it out.

You asked for a source on IRA contribution by those on minimum wage.

Tell you what.

Give US your budget, down to the penny, and I'll bet amongst us, we can find money for you to save.

This your chance to prove you aren't just whining and feeling sorry for yourself and really want to do something.

Don't waste the opportunity.
Exactly what you just posted happens in the Personal Finance sub forum all the time.
People there actually looking for help to trim debt, get out of debt or save more.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
The biggest issue facing the younger generation(s) is the fact that we have to pay for the boomers retirement and health insurance while paying for our own and our own education. We can still move. We can still emigrate. If I was in a bad position and had no way out I would go to Australia and go to trade school. Their tradies make $$$$$, the country has almost no debt, they just found a huge oil reserve, etc. I might end up moving there anyway, but the cost of living even if you make $100K is still very high.

Somebody that has $100K school loan debt and is only working fast food should look into moving to Australia. Many won't though. I'm not in that position.

I'm not ignoring the growth of inequality in the US. I don't think it is a good thing nor do I benefit from it. Inequality growth is occurring worldwide though, so it isn't really an American thing. However. to say or to imply that the working poor are victims of someone else's actions is just not accurate.

A fast food worker is someone I think of when I hear the term "working poor". Have you ever been to fast food joints? The workers are not premium quality. IMO they get paid too much for their qualifications and service quality, but that is why I don't go there. If I want a burger I go to a restaurant because I know for a fact that I can get fast quality service and good food.
"is the fact that we have to pay for the boomers retirement and health insurance while paying for our own"

For all those 30, 40, 45 years we worked, who do you think we were paying for?

THAT is the way the system is SUPPOSED to work. Today's workers pay for the previous workers.

"and our own education". Boo-Hoo. IF you are paying for your own education I'd bet you are part of a very small segment of college student.

Even if you have to, which I think you should, why is that something the rest of us should care about?

It is YOUR choice to go to college. YOU pay for it.

3 of my siblings WORKED their way through college. It took 6 years but, the made it.

Go to Community college. Take courses on-line, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies