Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Alan Berlow dissects the NRA's obstructionist history that helps to ensure that criminals have easy access to guns while eviscerating the gun lobby's paranoia over gun registration arguing:
1986, drastically reduced penalties for dealers who violate record-keeping laws, making violations misdemeanors rather than felonies.

2003, Congress, at the NRA’s urging, barred the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, the much-maligned agency responsible for enforcing federal gun laws, from forcing dealers to conduct inventory inspections that would detect lost and stolen guns.

2003 law forces the FBI to destroy Brady background checks for gun purchases within 24 hours, which makes it harder for law enforcement to identify dealers who falsify their records and makes it impossible to cross-check purchases made by gun traffickers from multiple dealers.

the NRA. It even opposes common sense local ordinances requiring that gun dealers and private citizens report lost or stolen firearms within 24 to 48 hours.
But the most scathing part of his article is when he points out the utter ridiculousness of the NRA position on the potential use of a gun registry to confiscate privately held firearms:
"In a world where U.S. intelligence agencies can pinpoint a person’s exact location using a cell phone’s GPS, where tens of thousands of video cameras are running 24/7 in public and private spaces, where a vast smorgasbord of computers contains the most intimate details of our lives, from the movies we watch to the brand of toilet paper we prefer, even LaPierre must realize that it is patently absurd to claim that figuring out who has a gun requires a national registry. Identifying the most strident gun rights true believers would be easiest of all, since they’re constantly advertising themselves."
NRA: A lobby for criminals - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM

390 posts, read 265,675 times
Perhaps you are not familiar with the definition of the word infringe.

Should I post it for you?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Is that how all your brothers and sisters in the ghettos get their guns to shoot each other?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Perhaps you are not familiar with the definition of the word infringe.

Should I post it for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Is that how all your brothers and sisters in the ghettos get their guns to shoot each other?
Since you posted your comments within 2 minutes after I initiated the thread, you could not have read the article upon which it was bases, as a result, I see not reason to make an intelligent response to comments written in ignorance.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
I don't fault the NRA for advocating laws and regulations or non-enforcement of those things ... because it's a lobby group. It's clear in its purpose. I fault the U.S. Congress and state legislatures ... because the blood is on their hands for taking money and support from the NRA for capitulating to its demands. Remember who supports the NRA when you walk into the voting booth next election.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Since you posted your comments within 2 minutes after I initiated the thread, you could not have read the article upon which it was bases, as a result, I see not reason to make an intelligent response to comments written in ignorance.
Didn't have to read it. What you posted was ignoramus enough. So is this how all your brothers and sisters in the ghettos get their guns to shoot each other up? Or do they obtain them illegally?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,713,608 times
IF the NRA is the Lobby for Criminals......then what do you call Obama and the lobbyists for ILLEGAL ALIENS? By DEFINITION, they are criminals as well.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
troll thread, nothing more

Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 AM

390 posts, read 265,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yet another anti gun article from a leftist rag.

I'm sure it was full of factual and well articulated data lol

Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM

There used to be a time when conservative would/could read a piece and craft a reasoned and cogent rebuttal. Now it appears that the even reading an article which disagrees with one's perspective is too threatening. How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies