Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

A number of different kinds of animals were at one time accommodated under the original ADA laws ... that has changed. ONLY specially trained dogs now ... and exceptions made for miniature horses in special petition cases. There has to be a reason why a dog is not acceptable and a mini-horse would be the option. I was familiar with the horses being used for mobility issues on behalf of people who could not stand and walk without support. I recall hearing about them being trained for the blind but I have never run across certified uses. Good to see the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
A number of different kinds of animals were at one time accommodated under the original ADA laws ... that has changed. ONLY specially trained dogs now ... and exceptions made for miniature horses in special petition cases. There has to be a reason why a dog is not acceptable and a mini-horse would be the option. I was familiar with the horses being used for mobility issues on behalf of people who could not stand and walk without support. I recall hearing about them being trained for the blind but I have never run across certified uses. Good to see the site.
Right. I think their main clients are people who are allergic or have a phobia of dogs, which seems like a completely valid reason to have a horse instead of a dog. A friend of mine told me that she saw a blind person using a guiding horse one time in a diner, so I know they must be out there somewhere, lol.

This thread reminds me why I don't want a guide dog--one of the many reasons being way too many politics surrounding the whole service animal issue. I love dogs and my pet dog helps me so much with my PTSD, even without being trained. I think dogs are natural helpers. When I take him for a walk, he also lets me know when I'm about to run into a pole by pulling on the leash to alert me to "walk around". It's the cutest thing ever. Unfortunately my dog is going blind himself, though, so he won't be able to "guide" me much longer.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
There is nothing new about it. If you had read my link I put from the ADA you would know that. Of course you know everything so you don't need to read anything right?

As a matter of fact the first thing mentioned is for people who are blind.

"Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. "

Now go tell the mirror how smart you are.
Go back and read your own link ... the paragraph you quote refers to dogs, not horses ... here is the full section:
Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties.

The provision for guide horses is since 2010:
In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies