Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,941,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Filing a suit now days ios like post on a form;means nothing.I could file a suit on anyone only knowing facts about their name and addresss claimig anyhting zi want.
1. "nowadays" is no different than in the past
2. what would a person accomplish by filing a suit without merit?
3. you could file -- but that doesn't mean the suit would be heard seriously. Without merit it will be thrown out like a piece of trash.

It costs money to file a suit. It takes a lot of time and expense to pursue. So what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,598,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
My answer to all the posters that are down on the handicap is Your time is coming or your parents as well. When you have to struggle or see a friend or family member struggle ti just do the basics in life; then hopefully you will change your hateful attitude.Very often i have seen people like this become disabled and then they are the ones that are an embarrassment to us other disabled people with their actions in public.
Tis you that seems to be embaressed to ask for assistance, we would be more than happy to help you accomplish your task. Seems to me, most of the truly disabled that we are talking about in wheelchairs, have someone with them. They generally need some assistance to fold the chair and put it in the vehicle, yes? If not, you could be denying someone a job that would benefit both of you.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I see both sides of the issue. If there is an alternative available such as going to a clerk vs self check line then I think this is baseless. However, if there is no way to do anything without giving someone you PIN number it's a problem. Like it or not we are dependent on the electronic banking now so this has to be available for everyone to use. Even among the handicapped and wheelchair bound there are different levels of flexability that can't be accounted for. While accommodations need to be made to allow for as much independence as possible it's never going to be possible for everything to be accessible, but it doesn't seem to be that difficult to design something NEW (like a self check lane or ATM) to be as flexible as possible from the get-go does it?

I feel the same way about new homes, why not just set a standard that make all doorways and openings wide enough for an average wheelchair. It's a simple tweak and even non handicapped people are more comfortable.
We don't all like ramps or require an extra-large bathroom. What about midgets, don't know the pc word for them. Just because you are handicapped, doesn't mean you get to design all our houses for us as a collective thing. Get over it, we are all different and everybody can't demand accomadation. Accept your challange and get on the best you can. Every lawsuit of this type just gets passed on to us consumers, so it's almost like you are seeking revenge upon society for your ills.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
This isn't about handicaps.

They can go through the cashier line.

This thread is about California being anti-business.
No it's not, it's about Walmart not surrendering to the pressure of unions.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,343,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Tis you that seems to be embaressed to ask for assistance, we would be more than happy to help you accomplish your task. Seems to me, most of the truly disabled that we are talking about in wheelchairs, have someone with them. They generally need some assistance to fold the chair and put it in the vehicle, yes? If not, you could be denying someone a job that would benefit both of you.
Not, necessarily true. Lots of people in wheelchairs---especially the younger vets---can drive specially outfitted vans that will lift their chairs automatically inside (or they can drive their chair right up to where a driver's seat would usually go) without the assistance of another person.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Hahahahaha.........permanent disabling injuries that required a wheelchair twice and crutches a few times. Oh my heart bleeds for you
You just made a complete fool of yourself, you have no idea the challanges Darkatt has. He has shared them many times on this forum, but he serves to inspire instead of complain, feel sorry for himself, or blame others.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I think a lot of this thread is about the attitude towards the handicapped etc. I inquired about a business for sale once years ago. Unknown to me the owner had told people that he would finance the sale of the business. I had no desire for any type of financing from him at all and knew nothing of it. Very quickly after i went and talked to the owner i got a call from one of his employees. The caller told me the guy was badmouthing me something terrible. He said he didn't know who i thought i was but he sure as hell wasn't going to help out any GODDAMN CRIPPLE! I hadn't asked or implied anything at all. I worked at an auto parts store at the time and the business was a radiator repair shop adjacent to his auto repair shop( i had the cash to pay for it). From then on he got his stuff delivered last and every one of the counter men threw his spark plugs on the floor before delivery.

You don't always get satisfaction in this world but when you do. Priceless!
Sounds like a childish was to handle it, especially when you got the info second hand. You should have spoken to him like a man. What you did is akin to spitting in his food. Stupid. He's got customers too.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Too bad you don't want to hear about the disabled person I know because I'm going to tell you anyway. My husband spent 12 years in a wheelchair because he was right side paralyzed. He enjoyed going shopping and out to lunch with me and I took him out three times a week. Thanks goodness for ADA laws because in the pre-ADA era people in chairs were stuck at home 24/7---they couldn't park and unload safely, find zero step entryways to public buildings, or find accessible bathrooms, etc. ADA laws are not "horrible" and one day you might learn that up close and personal. Then you'll be glad they are in place. A disabled person can figure out "work-arounds" for a lot of situations but with access to public buildings and bathrooms they shouldn't have to and as our population ages, it's even more important than it used to be. That is unless you want the baby boomers all shoved into costly nursing homes years before they really need to be there just because they can't go to stores to buy toilet paper, bread and other necessities of life.
We can assume you went with him to pick up the toilet paper, right? If he's paralyzed, he probably wouldn't be driving himself.
I just had a case of tp shipped to me. You'd be amazed what you can order online these days.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
Because it's rational to assume everyone that's handycapped is an abusive leach to society.

Would you have the audacity or the courage to say these words to a member of the Armed Forces who'd been disabled in the line of duty?
Yes, they volunteered. That doesn't mean they get to come back and take out their revenge upon us.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
One has make a determinate of the issue...y'know, the ol' "each thing in and of itself".

There are plenty of frivolous lawsuits and atrocious misuses of the ADA...

...but is it really unreasonable to assume that a multinational corporation with yearly profits in the billions could've used a swivelling joint on a fixture to protect everyone's right of privacy?

Do you just hand out your debit card information indescriminately?
If it came to that, I'd just write a check or use a credit card and sign for it. This is about deep pockets and frivolous lawsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies