Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,943,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So you are OK with criminals and mantally insane being able to purchase firearms?
We already have an FBI background check prohibiting felons from purchasing a firearm. What more needs done there? How do you impliment a system to determine the sanity of someone? It's a little unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,216,339 times
Don't patronize places that do not allow guns & you will be safe!!!

The Colorado Movie Theater had a no guns allowed policy & sign posted. Gee I wonder why the citizens were not safe there???? There were many highly trained military weapons personnel at the theater & 4 of them were shot because of the stupid weapons ban in that municipality & at that theater. They were prevented from defending themselves & all the others as they had been trained to do because of the ******* anti-gun policy.

Does anyone see a pattern here??????????????

Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
How would any background check prevent the sort of craziness exhbited by the shooter in Colorado? Would an extensive phyic exam catch a mental breakdown years after the check?

I agree with a criminal check for a record of assault or robbery but that is about it.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
We already have an FBI background check prohibiting felons from purchasing a firearm. What more needs done there? How do you impliment a system to determine the sanity of someone? It's a little unrealistic.
I was asking the poster who said there is a constitutional problem preventing ANYONE, including criminals 10 yr old kids, from purchasing guns. I think the criminal check we have now is sufficient for criminals, but something should be done about the mentally insane., and I already proposed a solution earlier in this thread.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,742,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A background check would have done nothing to stop the guy. He had no record. Obother is also blathering about banning "assault weapons."

anybody buying assault rifles and 6 thousand rounds of amo should be thoroughly cheched

Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,520,591 times
Quote:
I am simply saying that the mentally insane should not be allowed to own guns. It is not a left/right issue to me. More of a common sense issue.
People officially declared insane are already prohibited from having guns and the info. is reported to the FBI for the background checks. Not every mental illness makes a person dangerous either. In fact, most don't.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Unfortunately, this is one of those instances that we can't "law" into complete safety. There are very few things we can do that to and even then the cost is usually way more than the risk.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,943,934 times
Quote:
I was asking the poster who said there is a constitutional problem preventing ANYONE, including criminals 10 yr old kids, from purchasing guns. I think the criminal check we have now is sufficient for criminals, but something should be done about the mentally insane., and I already proposed a solution earlier in this thread.
And I addressed your solution. Look around.. Mentally disturbed individuals are not in hospitals... They are all around you, and have never recieved any treatment. If a person has a bout with depression at one time in their life they could be restricted from ever being able to obtain a firearm. Who decides and on what criteria? How much do you allow the government to intervene in people lives? If a lunatic wants to purchase a firearm, there are plenty of avenues to purchase one without ever going through any of it. At this point, I cannot legally own a fully automatic weapon, but if I wanted one, I could easily obtain one, without the government even knowing I had it. More regulations won't stop the violence. You can't stop a determined madman.

18,359 posts, read 26,520,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
anybody buying assault rifles and 6 thousand rounds of amo should be thoroughly cheched
He didn't buy an assault rifle and if you go to some big gun matches or training sessions you can shoot up a thousand rounds in no time. 6,000 rounds is what, only 12 bulk packs of .22 rimfire.

7,541 posts, read 6,277,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post

Does anyone see a pattern here??????????????

you're post wreaks of utter nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies