Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't think jealousy had anything to do with either, only questions about the unknown.
For such a generic unknown, google is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Why does Romney's religion come into play when Obama's anti-white radical church and beliefs were given a pass?
I've heard people ***** about Obama's church and its beliefs for several years now. But they must be the insane few that should be ignored, right?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,214 times
So is this a religious or political question about the separation of church and state, Mitt Romney or just another Obama-bashing session? If it is about the separation of church and state, then I agree about the metaphorical meaning. That of the church staying out of the state's business and the state staying out of the church's business. Most people incorrectly think the phrase is in the constitution. The phrase "wall of separation between the church and the state" was originally coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to the Danbury Baptists on January 1, 1802. His purpose in this letter was to address the fears of the Danbury, Connecticut Baptists, and so he told them that this wall had been erected to protect them. The metaphor was used exclusively to keep the state out of the church's business, not to keep the church out of the state's business.

However, if this were a religious question, then biblically speaking, Jesus states to his followers: “If the world hates you, it has hated me before it hated you. If YOU were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you. Bear in mind that a slave is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you also..."
~John 15: 17

Jesus was cautioning his followers to avoid the world, the political and secular infrastructure and those who align themselves with it. To separate but not hate,* as they watch their association.

*those two are not synonymous.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,931 times
Quote:
Why does Romney's religion come into play

Probably because for Christians the Nicene Creed, and the adherence to it of the nation's head of state, is a matter of some importance.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,815 times
Quote:
Why does Romney's religion come into play when Obama's anti-white radical church and beliefs were given a pass?
Tape any of Romney's places of worship proclaiming God D' America like the ones Obama sat his precious butt in?

I am not Mormon, but I can tell you I've met only Mormons who are nice people.
I think all religious people have a brain though and can lead all of the people without turning their leadership into a theocracy like Islamic countries.
I vaguely recall the two loose statements Obama's ex pastor making while Obama was not present being scrutinized ad nauseum and for good measure even being considered recently by Willard's supporters and campaign. I think discussing a potential Presidents belief system to include their religious fantasy to be fair game.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
For such a generic unknown, google is your friend.
We've all heard of various cases where practice differed from the 'official' position, I'd rather hear from participants.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I will not vote for Romney for several reasons including his lack of any sign of integrety. Being a member of the First Church of Mammon on Earth just seals my opinion.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Since it seems possible Romney's religion may be an issue with some I have a question perhaps a Mormon or someone familiar with the religion can answer:

It occured to me any LDS missionary I've ever encountered has been a young man. Is that always the case? Where do women fit in the LDS view of spreading their religion?
No, that's not always the case, but there are far more young men serving missions than there are young women. The young men are strongly encouraged to serve; this is not the case with the women. Also, retired couples often serve missions. I could be wrong about this, but my guess is that about 80% of the 52,000 LDS missionaries serving throughout the world at any given time are young men between the ages of 19 and 25. (Source: I'm LDS.)

Old 07-28-2012, 08:24 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,510 times
I talked to two LDS girl missionaries about six months ago by a lake.

One pointed at a blue heron, and asked me what kind of bird it was.

I asked them what Mormon history thing happened up around Kansas City.

They didn't know.

Quote:
Since it seems possible Romney's religion may be an issue with some I have a question perhaps a Mormon or someone familiar with the religion can answer:

It occured to me any LDS missionary I've ever encountered has been a young man. Is that always the case? Where do women fit in the LDS view of spreading their religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies