Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Recent discussion surrounding Chick-fil-A and homosexuality got me thinking about another topic related to fast food and religion: gluttony. To some Christians, whether homosexuality is a sin is debatable, but I thought that it was universally agreed among Christians that gluttony is.

America's waistline is ballooning, and I think it's perhaps the biggest problem we face as a nation. It's especially a problem in the Christian community. I found a FoxNews article about this, and it was pretty startling:

The obesity epidemic in America's churches | Fox News

I'm a non-religious homosexual, so I'm curious about this, especially in light of how much anti-gay sentiment comes out of some churches these days. Do churches not preach about gluttony to the extent they do about sexual sins? Do churches not discuss physical well-being and its role in psychological, emotional, and spiritual health?

We've seen a rise in pro-gay groups over the last decade, but we've also seen a rise in pro-fat (or fat-pride) groups over the last decade too. Such groups have even successfully lobbied and gotten weight status added as a protected class to some anti-discrimination statutes. Over the same period, an awful lot of anti-gay groups have popped up and we hear a lot of anti-gay rhetoric coming from fundamentalist churches. In debates about homosexuality, I've heard many Christians say that all sins are equally sinful - personally I've never understood that. Isn't gluttony one of the 7 mortal sins? If anything, isn't gluttony a worse sin than homosexuality? Why haven't we see a corresponding rises in anti-glutton groups or hear similar anti-fat rhetoric coming out of fundamentalist churches?

Chick-fil-A purports to be a business that is dedicated to the teachings and principles of Christianity. Is that really possible for a business that thrives off of and stokes the gluttony of others? Is it really any more moral than a Christian strip club? Is an after services Church buffet supper of high-fat, hyper-salted mountains of food really any less sinful than an after services Church gay-sex orgy?
That's because christians are in the business of "Point and Hate".....that's what they do best...you won't find any of these evil hypocrites looking in a mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,747,923 times
Quote:
Absolutely that's where I'm coming from. Again, what got me thinking about this was the Chick-fil-A thread. I was asking myself how can a business that makes millions in profits off exploiting and stoking the gluttony of others really consider itself a business dedicated to the teachings and principles of Christianity.
Chick-fil-a sells chicken sandwiches, fries, soda, and a few other things. Not the kind of food you would eat on a daily basis. If, however, you are wise enough to eat healthy as the rule and enjoy fast food on occasion, there is no problem.

It is called personal responsibility. No-one is forcing you to eat fried chicken every day, unless maybe you are a kid with a stupid parent, but that is not chick-fil-a's doing.

Chick-fil-a isn't selling gluttony and isn't exploiting anyone.

You must be a fan of Bloomberg...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:39 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,035,742 times
The Lord forgives you for your sins. Once you get that figured out and take care of it with your priest you can do whatever the hell you want. Why is that so hard for the God haters to figure out?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,672,179 times
I don't think anyone would argue there was no hypocrisy in church or any organization for that matter but your gonna have a hard time convincing Christians or anyone for that matter that eating a chicken sandwich is akin to homosexuality. Besides, if I were to take a hard line stance against your argument I would say that NOT everyone who eats at Chick-Fil-A is obese and therefore NOT committing a sin but everyone that is gay is committing a sin... FWIW, i don't think either is a sin but I find it a bit of a stretch to argue that because CFA sells chicken sandwiches it makes their stance against homosexual marriage hypocritical. Wait for the owner of CFA to get caught in a scandalous affair with a manager of one of his stores and then come out with your argument, you will have much more ground to stand on.. as it is now, your skating on thin ice...

Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 AM

272 posts, read 229,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The Lord forgives you for your sins. Once you get that figured out and take care of it with your priest you can do whatever the hell you want. Why is that so hard for the God haters to figure out?
1. It is possible to dislike Christians, but not dislike God. I posted a quote in the Christian forum about this not too long ago by Gandhi, it goes something like: "I like your Christ, but I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

2. I could be reading the implications of your post wrong, but what I gather from your post is that it is better to continuously repent for your sins instead of trying to completely stop committing those sins? Did I get that wrong?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,035,742 times
Everybody is gonna sin. Man is not perfect. God forgives your sins if you ask. All ya gotta do is ask.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,123 times
I agree that gluttony, and its effects, are disgusting. If you want to tie it to religion, yes, it's a sin. More importantly, though, it's a sin against oneself. People who are religious- any religion- aren't perfect. It's normal to make mistakes and start over.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,596,020 times
[quote=hammertime33;25357847]Recent discussion surrounding Chick-fil-A and homosexuality got me thinking about another topic related to fast food and religion: gluttony. To some Christians, whether homosexuality is a sin is debatable, but I thought that it was universally agreed among Christians that gluttony is.

America's waistline is ballooning, and I think it's perhaps the biggest problem we face as a nation. It's especially a problem in the Christian community. I found a FoxNews article about this, and it was pretty startling:

I'm a non-religious homosexual, so I'm curious about this, especially in light of how much anti-gay sentiment comes out of some churches these days. Do churches not preach about gluttony to the extent they do about sexual sins? Do churches not discuss physical well-being and its role in psychological, emotional, and spiritual health?

We've seen a rise in pro-gay groups over the last decade, but we've also seen a rise in pro-fat (or fat-pride) groups over the last decade too. Such groups have even successfully lobbied and gotten weight status added as a protected class to some anti-discrimination statutes. Over the same period, an awful lot of anti-gay groups have popped up and we hear a lot of anti-gay rhetoric coming from fundamentalist churches. In debates about homosexuality, I've heard many Christians say that all sins are equally sinful - personally I've never understood that. Isn't gluttony one of the 7 mortal sins? If anything, isn't gluttony a worse sin than homosexuality? Why haven't we see a corresponding rises in anti-glutton groups or hear similar anti-fat rhetoric coming out of fundamentalist churches?

Chick-fil-A purports to be a business that is dedicated to the teachings and principles of Christianity. Is that really possible for a business that thrives off of and stokes the gluttony of others? Is it really any more moral than a Christian strip club? Is an after services Church buffet supper of high-fat, hyper-salted mountains of food really any less sinful than an after services Church gay-sex orgy?[

1% of Jews overweight? Sure.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM

33,589 posts, read 18,205,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
1. It is possible to dislike Christians, but not dislike God. I posted a quote in the Christian forum about this not too long ago by Gandhi, it goes something like: "I like your Christ, but I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

2. I could be reading the implications of your post wrong, but what I gather from your post is that it is better to continuously repent for your sins instead of trying to completely stop committing those sins? Did I get that wrong?
Jesus also said, If they hate me they will hate you.. the true Christians of course.

<< Matthew 10:22 >>

New International Version (©1984)
All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
New Living Translation (©2007)
And all nations will hate you because you are my followers. But everyone who endures to the end will be saved.

English Standard Version (©2001)
and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,123 times
[quote=Electric Blue;25362290]
Quote:
Recent discussion surrounding Chick-fil-A and homosexuality got me thinking about another topic related to fast food and religion: gluttony. To some Christians, whether homosexuality is a sin is debatable, but I thought that it was universally agreed among Christians that gluttony is.

Chick-fil-A purports to be a business that is dedicated to the teachings and principles of Christianity. Is that really possible for a business that thrives off of and stokes the gluttony of others? Is it really any more moral than a Christian strip club? Is an after services Church buffet supper of high-fat, hyper-salted mountains of food really any less sinful than an after services Church gay-sex orgy?[

1% of Jews overweight? Sure.
Why do you care what church people are doing? Who cares? Tangentially, who cares if they hate you? I'm sure that there are plenty of religious people who hate ME (Episcopal). They're free to do so, doesn't matter a bit to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies