Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I've not make that mistake. I for one don't even believe in the concept of sin. I was just curious about why so many Christians vilify one particular "sin" - homosexuality - yet seem to embrace and even encourage another "sin" - gluttony.

When communities consider adding "sexual orientation" to their non-discrimination laws, we see Christians come out in droves to protest against the adoption of such laws. Yet when fat-activists lobby to change such laws so that you can't discrimination on the basis of being obese (which they've successfully done in several cities plus Michigan and nearly did in Nevada recently), you don't hear a peep from the same people. Why don't we see Christians showing up holding signs saying "God Hates Fats" and "No Special Rights for Gluttons"?
Welcome to our current society---no concept of sin. Secularism. Nothing is wrong so nothing is true or false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
TEACH

Not enforce

Differnce much?
Precisely. Chick-fil-A is a perfect teachable moment. Support traditional values and that is their right. No force, eat there or don't. No force involved.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Precisely. Chick-fil-A is a perfect teachable moment. Support traditional values and that is their right. No force, eat there or don't. No force involved.
The 'tolerant' left should learn that lesson.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Maybe they all confess? The Lord forgives your sins. Say a few rosaries and head for BK. Funny how the left gets all out of whack about this nonsense. Oh the hypocrisy. LOL
Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins that have long been part of Christian teachings. I think OP has a point, which is that most Christians seem to like to bang the bible and point the finger when it's "someone else", especially one of thems gays... but they conveniently overlook their own sins as defined in their own doctrine.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

We are talking about enforcement of Christian values through law, not teaching.

I never said Chik fil A was in the wrong. I disagree with them, but they have every right to say and do what they want.

Where that differs from main stream Christian conservatives, and anti-gay rights folks, is you'd like to enforce that with law.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins that have long been part of Christian teachings. I think OP has a point, which is that most Christians seem to like to bang the bible and point the finger when it's "someone else", especially one of thems gays... but they conveniently overlook their own sins as defined in their own doctrine.
Are you talking about Westbro Baptist Church?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 PM

119 posts, read 99,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Recent discussion surrounding Chick-fil-A and homosexuality got me thinking about another topic related to fast food and religion: gluttony. To some Christians, whether homosexuality is a sin is debatable, but I thought that it was universally agreed among Christians that gluttony is.

America's waistline is ballooning, and I think it's perhaps the biggest problem we face as a nation. It's especially a problem in the Christian community. I found a FoxNews article about this, and it was pretty startling:

The obesity epidemic in America's churches | Fox News

I'm a non-religious homosexual, so I'm curious about this, especially in light of how much anti-gay sentiment comes out of some churches these days. Do churches not preach about gluttony to the extent they do about sexual sins? Do churches not discuss physical well-being and its role in psychological, emotional, and spiritual health?

We've seen a rise in pro-gay groups over the last decade, but we've also seen a rise in pro-fat (or fat-pride) groups over the last decade too. Such groups have even successfully lobbied and gotten weight status added as a protected class to some anti-discrimination statutes. Over the same period, an awful lot of anti-gay groups have popped up and we hear a lot of anti-gay rhetoric coming from fundamentalist churches. In debates about homosexuality, I've heard many Christians say that all sins are equally sinful - personally I've never understood that. Isn't gluttony one of the 7 mortal sins? If anything, isn't gluttony a worse sin than homosexuality? Why haven't we see a corresponding rises in anti-glutton groups or hear similar anti-fat rhetoric coming out of fundamentalist churches?

Chick-fil-A purports to be a business that is dedicated to the teachings and principles of Christianity. Is that really possible for a business that thrives off of and stokes the gluttony of others? Is it really any more moral than a Christian strip club? Is an after services Church buffet supper of high-fat, hyper-salted mountains of food really any less sinful than an after services Church gay-sex orgy?
"Extreme Christians" seem to extract from the bible (one which they take quite literally) that , which suites their personal life styles.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:26 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times

Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times

Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM

410 posts, read 342,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I have no probable with people that are fat or religious but I do have a problem with people who pick and choose what to condemn from the bible, and all I can say about these lists is holy hypocrisy!!!

Fattest States ('x' denotes appearance on both lists)

1. Mississippi x
2. Alabama x
3. West Virginia x
4. Tennessee x
5. Louisiana x
6. Kentucky x
7. Oklahoma x
8. South Carolina x
9. Arkansas x
10. Michigan

Most Religious States

1. Mississippi
2. Utah
3. Alabama
4. Louisiana
5. Arkansas
6. South Carolina
7. Tennessee
8. North Carolina
9. Georgia
10. Oklahoma

Which US States Are Most Religious? : Discovery News

The 10 Fattest States In America - Business Insider
So what? This topic is LUDICROUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies