Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro-life people, is abortion okay is the child is a result of rape?
I'm pro-choice so this is irrelevant to me 38 55.88%
I'm pro-life and even in the case of rape and incest, all life is precious 27 39.71%
I'm pro-life but I think in this case, the baby isn't worthy of being born 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,182,049 times

Advertisements

Would you support abortion being legal in the case of rape? I've heard many pro-life people say that in the case of rape, it's different. Essentially it comes down to the life not being 'honorable', right, since in any other case it's considered murder? How is that fundamentally any different from an 'honor killing'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
There is no honour in a pregnancy caused by a brutal rape. And yes I would support abortion in cases of rape, would any female like to be forcibly inseminated and have to live with result of that, namely the child.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
There is no honour in a pregnancy caused by a brutal rape. And yes I would support abortion in cases of rape, would any female like to be forcibly inseminated and have to live with result of that, namely the child.
Are you pro-life or pro-choice?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:51 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Would you support abortion being legal in the case of rape? I've heard many pro-life people say that in the case of rape, it's different. Essentially it comes down to the life not being 'honorable', right, since in any other case it's considered murder? How is that fundamentally any different from an 'honor killing'?

It's not.

The child raped no one and shouldn't be punished for someone else's deed.

Having said that, no one wants a victim of rape to be forced to carry a child to term when the child is the result of a violent rape.

Not permitting an abortion in such cases effectively allows the rape to continue for nine months.

I'm not saying it's right.

I'm just saying what is right cannot be because the rapist has taken that option off the table.

In the case of pregnancy from rape, the options are effectively continuing the rape or killing an innocent child.

I believe a woman should be held accountable for her actions in the same way a man is.

Copulating leads to pregnancy, and just because the female voting majority has discovered they can vote themselves rights which violate the fundamental rights of politically vulnerable groups doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to the same standard of accountability as others.

The time to be pro-choice is before an innocent life begins.

Everyone should have the right to choose to not copulate.

Those who do voluntarily copulate should not be given the right to kill because they were careless.

Those who have been forced to copulate would seem to be an exception to the accountability rule as no one wants a rape victim to suffer even more for an action they never voluntarily took.

Last edited by momonkey; 07-24-2012 at 01:24 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Rape is the sticking point that makes everyone prochoice, even if they would rather die than use that term to describe themselves.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Rape is the sticking point that makes everyone prochoice, even if they would rather die than use that term to describe themselves.
I just find it hypocritical, like they are against abortion, unless the baby wasn't conceived in a loving way which in that case it's fine. I think it proves many pro-life people are not pro-life out of a love for life but rather out of ideas of preserving sexual honour and purity.

With that said though, there are some people who truly are pro-life. I don't think abortion would make a rape victim feel better, maybe some of them but I think for the most part, having the baby is more of a victory over the rapist, since they can be proud of doing such an unselfish thing after having such a selfish thing done to them. Some women certainly wouldn't be able to love such a baby but many if not most would. Maternal love is unconditional isn't it? I'm pro-choice anyways though, I mean I am against abortion but I still think it should be legal just because I think criminalizing things is generally the wrong way to discourage behavior.

It's kind of sad how people find a child to be so precious unless they are unwanted, in which case they are worthless trash.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,648 times

Once any exception is made to allow the murder of an innocent baby, it's a slippery slope to allow more and more exceptions.
Under the exception, "mental health of the mother", basically all abortions can be legalized.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:18 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I just find it hypocritical, like they are against abortion, unless the baby wasn't conceived in a loving way which in that case it's fine. I think it proves many pro-life people are not pro-life out of a love for life but rather out of ideas of preserving sexual honour and purity.

With that said though, there are some people who truly are pro-life. I don't think abortion would make a rape victim feel better, maybe some of them but I think for the most part, having the baby is more of a victory over the rapist, since they can be proud of doing such an unselfish thing after having such a selfish thing done to them. Some women certainly wouldn't be able to love such a baby but many if not most would. Maternal love is unconditional isn't it? I'm pro-choice anyways though, I mean I am against abortion but I still think it should be legal just because I think criminalizing things is generally the wrong way to discourage behavior.

It's kind of sad how people find a child to be so precious unless they are unwanted, in which case they are worthless trash.

It's not hypocritical because forcing a woman to carry a child created by the act of forcible rape continues the rape until the child is born.

This is also wrong.

Both options are horrible and there is no correct answer.

Last edited by momonkey; 07-24-2012 at 01:27 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's not.

The child raped no one and shouldn't be punished for someone else's deed.

Having said that, no one wants a victim of rape to be forced to carry a child to term when the child is the result of a violent rape.

Not permitting an abortion in such cases effectively allows the rape to continue for nine months.

I'm not saying it's right.

I'm just saying what is right cannot be because the rapist has taken that option off the table.

In the case of pregnancy from rape, the options are effectively continuing the rape or killing an innocent child.

I believe a woman should be held accountable for her actions in the same way a man is.

Copulating leads to pregnancy, and just because the female voting majority has discovered they can vote themselves rights which violate the fundamental rights of politically vulnerable groups doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to the same standard of accountability as others.

The time to be pro-choice is before an innocent life begins.

Everyone should have the right to choose to not copulate.

Those who do voluntarily copulate should not be given the right to kill because they were careless.

Those who have been forced to copulate would seem to be an exception to the accountability rule as no one wants a rape victim to suffer even more for an action they never voluntarily took.
So , for you, it's NOT "murdering a baby" if the abortion is because of rape....

But if the woman enjoyed the sex it's *** FLIP FLOP*** "murdering a baby"....

Now, describe how one abortion is different from another....you can't, they're the same thing.

YOU, just like the rapist, take away the woman's right to choose. YOU want impose YOUR morals on others...

You want to simply punish the woman for having enjoyable sex...a totally human,unchangeable, and unstoppable bit of human behaviour...

Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's not hypocritical because forcing a woman to carry a child created by the act of forcible rape continues the rape until the child is born.""""

No, the child is there forever.... Children usually outlive their parents...

""This is also wrong.

Both options are horrible and there is no correct answer.
Yes, we have the correct answer....women's right to CHOICE...unwanted children are unwanted children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies