Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:36 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times

Advertisements

Obesity may push U.S. health costs above Europe: study - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Many reasons for the outcome of the study:

- prevention is part of the health care system
- many of the countries have easier access to health care
- people eat more fresh food
- fewer foods are chemically treated
- smaller portions are offered at all meals
- less snacking occurs
- most Europeans are more active and rely on walking, public transportation rather than the automobile

And I am certain I missed many. Unfortunately, fast food is growing around the world, and it will begin to show its effect overtime.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Many reasons for the outcome of the study:

- prevention is part of the health care system
- many of the countries have easier access to health care
- people eat more fresh food
- fewer foods are chemically treated
- smaller portions are offered at all meals
- less snacking occurs
- most Europeans are more active and rely on walking, public transportation rather than the automobile

And I am certain I missed many. Unfortunately, fast food is growing around the world, and it will begin to show its effect overtime.

Prevention?? The only preventative measure in place is that, food are generally expensive and so you make sure that whatever to take home, you finish - meaning little or no waste.

Many countries have easier access to health care??.. Uhhmm not really, does anybody consider waiting 6-8hrs in the ER room after reporting your symptoms and waiting to be seem by a doctor, normal??

People cannot always eat fresh food. They too are expensive.

Smaller portions, Agreed, but its because food is expensive to produce and so they have to make a profit in anyway they can.

Fewer foods chemically treated?? Ohh trust me, preservatives and pestacides are normal practice.

Less snacking occurs??.. That could be due to food being expensive, bland, low quality but then again. The English are some of the biggest chocolate consumers in europe and like to eat Fish & Chips (chips = big fat oversized french fries, english version).

With regards the Public transportation, yes!! to some degree you are right BUT have cheaper cost of fuel - add 2/3 more lanes to highways in either direction - less expensive cost of owning & maintaining of an automobile. And you could pretty much have the same standard as what Americans have, 2-4 cars per household. Over in europe, you're lucky if you have one, you're rich if you can afford two cars.. See the difference?

What im saying is that, people really do not have the choice. If europeans can have it any other way, trust me, they would. I have lived on the other side of the fence and they do live with envy from folks on this side. They have it too lean over there whilst over here its either rich or too rich. lol..

Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 AM

GracieJJ, always good to hear dissenting POVs.

I lived in the Netherlands, France and for a wee sojourn in London.

Most of my comments are a reflection of my years in the Netherlands. But, I certainly didn't find food bad, bland or expensive in Paris (circa 1960s), and I only found bland-ish food in Britain.

In France I was a student; in the Netherlands I worked for a large medical foundation and my partner for the Government. I believe we were considered middle to upper middle class, and ate well, often and with friends. In Britain, London to be specific, I lived with friends and we pooled our funds and ate a lavish Sunday mid-day meal.

So, either we lived in different countries, at different points in history, and eat differently or we just see it at odds with one another. No problem there. I only can speak from my personal observations and lifestyle.

And, frankly among my friends and acquaintances, only one ever left Europe or Britain to live abroad, and that was a work-related issue. Although several other friends and acquaintances made long-term visits to either Canada or the States. I can't recall a single friend wishing they lived in the States (but then I was traveling with a rather left wing crowd).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Prevention?? The only preventative measure in place is that, food are generally expensive and so you make sure that whatever to take home, you finish - meaning little or no waste.

Many countries have easier access to health care??.. Uhhmm not really, does anybody consider waiting 6-8hrs in the ER room after reporting your symptoms and waiting to be seem by a doctor, normal??

People cannot always eat fresh food. They too are expensive.

Smaller portions, Agreed, but its because food is expensive to produce and so they have to make a profit in anyway they can.

Fewer foods chemically treated?? Ohh trust me, preservatives and pestacides are normal practice.

Less snacking occurs??.. That could be due to food being expensive, bland, low quality but then again. The English are some of the biggest chocolate consumers in europe and like to eat Fish & Chips (chips = big fat oversized french fries, english version).

With regards the Public transportation, yes!! to some degree you are right BUT have cheaper cost of fuel - add 2/3 more lanes to highways in either direction - less expensive cost of owning & maintaining of an automobile. And you could pretty much have the same standard as what Americans have, 2-4 cars per household. Over in europe, you're lucky if you have one, you're rich if you can afford two cars.. See the difference?

What im saying is that, people really do not have the choice. If europeans can have it any other way, trust me, they would. I have lived on the other side of the fence and they do live with envy from folks on this side. They have it too lean over there whilst over here its either rich or too rich. lol..

Old 10-02-2007, 09:29 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Well, I do not know what country "Gracie" is talking about, but in Germany I can go to a farmers market or grocery store and find fresh veggies and produce for half the price I pay here. In fact I did it this summer. Even with the crappy $ rate the food was cheaper. What I pay for a kilo of apples there, I pay for an american pound (which is even less than half a kilo). I can buy pretty much any fruit or vegetable for half the price than what it would cost me here. The bread is also much cheaper and cheese - forget it! I don't eat meat, so maybe meat is more expensive there, but eating lots of meat certainly won't contribute to health.
European food is low quality, LOL :-)....that's why the gourmet stores here carry european cheese, swiss or belgian chocolate, greek olives, french wine, etc.
American food certainly does not have the image of "gourmet fare", it stands for cheap, processed junk food, such as hamburgers, hot dogs etc. And THAT is the main reason for obesity, the number one health problem in this country.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Well, your experience is current, and sounds like mine. When I was in Sicily last year I also found food better, fresher, less expensive and plentiful...and it's an Island.

We ate like Royalty in and out of our lodgings across the entire Island and I now miss all those markets: especially the choices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Well, I do not know what country "Gracie" is talking about, but in Germany I can go to a farmers market or grocery store and find fresh veggies and produce for half the price I pay here. In fact I did it this summer. Even with the crappy $ rate the food was cheaper. What I pay for a kilo of apples there, I pay for an american pound (which is even less than half a kilo). I can buy pretty much any fruit or vegetable for half the price than what it would cost me here. The bread is also much cheaper and cheese - forget it! I don't eat meat, so maybe meat is more expensive there, but eating lots of meat certainly won't contribute to health.
European food is low quality, LOL :-)....that's why the gourmet stores here carry european cheese, swiss or belgian chocolate, greek olives, french wine, etc.
American food certainly does not have the image of "gourmet fare", it stands for cheap, processed junk food, such as hamburgers, hot dogs etc. And THAT is the main reason for obesity, the number one health problem in this country.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, your experience is current, and sounds like mine. When I was in Sicily last year I also found food better, fresher, less expensive and plentiful...and it's an Island.

We ate like Royalty in and out of our lodgings across the entire Island and I now miss all those markets: especially the choices!
I have never had bad food in Italy either! I really miss those nice farmers markets they have in Europe. Even the smaller towns have them and the variety is amazing and you get to buy local food that hasn't been traveling thousands of miles to get to you. You can certainly taste the difference

Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 AM

Oh, we recently moved and I was excited to see a farmers market advertised in the paper, about 7 miles from here. So off I went with my big basket, hoping to find lots of veggies and fruits (this was in August).... come to find out the farmers market consisted of 4 tables, LOL. But it was better than nothing and I did get some nice tomatoes and blueberries!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
They're catching up.....

Europe Is Getting Fatter - UKMedix Health News

Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 AM

I don't know where in NE you live but the three markets that offered much in the way of fresh produce this summer: Brattleboro VT, Greenfield MA, Northampton MA -- that's where I spent my summer.

I found the market here where I just moved very good, and when visiting a nearby town (about 30-odd miles away) I found some of the freshest produce I've seen in ages. They had the best leeks--something you infrequently find in the States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Oh, we recently moved and I was excited to see a farmers market advertised in the paper, about 7 miles from here. So off I went with my big basket, hoping to find lots of veggies and fruits (this was in August).... come to find out the farmers market consisted of 4 tables, LOL. But it was better than nothing and I did get some nice tomatoes and blueberries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies