Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Of course they didn't talk about it back in the good ole days because beating your wife was accepted behavior, not only accepted but expected in some circles. Women talk about it more for the same reason that they talk about rape more, modern folks no longer consider a beating or rape to be the woman's fault...

Just as an example try producing today a romantic comedy like the "Quiet Man" where Maureen O'Hara is just filled with joy because John Wayne drags her across the countryside while another women offer him tree branches to whip her with, proving somehow that physical violence proves that he really love loves her.

Oh..please!

One day you folks cry about demasculinization and the next minute you're claiming that they are hypermasculine.

Demasculinization is a myth. Just look at pictures of young men from previous decades. Today's young men are the most hypermasculine since the cavemen. They are covered in tattoos and have huge muscular bodies, often due to steroid use. If we still had traditional family values I am confident young men wouldn't look like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Demasculinization is a myth. Just look at pictures of young men from previous decades. Today's young men are the most hypermasculine since the cavemen. They are covered in tattoos and have huge muscular bodies, often due to steroid use. If we still had traditional family values I am confident young men wouldn't look like this.

Most men I've seen aren't into tats, piercings, etc. Those guys get attention, because they are asking for it.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:00 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
You're definitely on to something.

De-masculinization is not a myth, however. There has been a war on traditional masculinity in this country for decades. Masculinity and traditional male expression is suppressed from kindergarten forward. Virtually every activity is feminized these days. Men being men, though, tend to rebel against this, some quietly, some loudly. Men are abandoning the feminized universities, for example. They have abandoned many feminized careers - such as teaching, residential real estate, and health care. Most have resigned themselves to being feminized, but not without a little quiet rebellion.

What about the "alpha males"? By and large, this feminized world is a playground for them. The super-high achievers in the business world still have a masculine environment for themselves - and plenty of women around too. The not-so-high achieving alphas have been shoved into gangs or sports. Hence, the rise of sports as a national religion, and the more extreme the better - it's the one activity left where it is still socially acceptable for ordinary men to exclude women. (Please note that sports is also a trivial, non-threatening activity that has little to do with real life.) This also explains the hyper-masculine behavior of many men in the now feminized work-a-day world. Men have a social need to stand apart from women in some way. They are gravitating toward whatever is left to them.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 07-28-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
what traditional, family values really are

With really traditional families, you don't have to ask - they have a motto which tells you everything you need to know:

Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube

Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
With really traditional families, you don't have to ask - they have a motto which tells you everything you need to know:

Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube
Interesting read. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
I've asked this question many a time to several posters on this forum and have yet to get a definitive answer on what traditional, family values really are. So with that in mind I'm going to open the floor for ALL of C-D to let people know what THEY hold as family values so we can finally dispel this air of myth surrounding it. Here's a possible answer key for you, all you have to do is copy and paste it:

Traditional, family values that I hold near and dear are as follow -

These are what I feel are family values and will defend them with all my being.

(Note that you can add more as need be)
What are family values? I presented this fascinating and thoughtful question to my family at lunch today, and the conversation it inspired was really insightful for all of us. Specifically, I asked my husband and children which values they consider most important to our success as a family. Coming to a consensus was surprisingly difficult, but we finally whittled our list down to five essential values that we believe have sustained and will continue to sustain both our immediate and extended family.

Before I get to our list, I think it's important to clarify that we define family values to be the essential principles that guide our behavior in a way that ensures our continuing relationship to one another. These values are not specifically cultural or personal, and neither are they religious in nature, although they can most certainly found in the tenets and practices of a variety of faith traditions.

My youngest wasn't quite sure how to contribute to the conversation, so we facilitated his participation by printing out a list of 417 values that can be found on the internet here. As the youngest of the crowd, he immediately glommed onto the word "fairness," and the other two followed suit, which led to a prolonged and somewhat testy conversation about whether or not fairness was all that important as a family value. Answer: not so much, but it took us awhile to get there.

I persisted and encouraged all to probe more deeply. After much debate, we determined that the following five values, without which we all agree our family wouldn't last long, belonged on our list:

1) Connection: This value drives us to set aside time for each other, which allows us to find common interests and to demonstrate our love and appreciation of one another both as individuals and as a family.

2) Cooperation: Life is not fair, a universal truth that sits uncomfortably with my youngest, but a commitment to sharing burdens and responsibilities ensures everyone's needs are met.

3) Fidelity: We show our loyalty to one another by portraying each other in a positive light to others, along with remaining true to our relationships with one another whether by choice or by birth.

4) Patience: Life is hard, and this value ensures that we give one another room to progress at his own pace.

5) Perseverence: We won't last long if we're not willing to stick with one other through the storms of life.

So that's it: our family's essential values, which are now printed and posted on the wall over our dining room table, hopefully to be pondered and discussed regularly. Thanks to the OP for a interesting conversation starter!

Last edited by randomparent; 07-28-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Demasculinization is a myth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
De-masculinization is not a myth,
Have fun.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Daddy gets first crack at the kids.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Daddy gets first crack at the kids.
In my circle it was mom who got the first crack. My friend's moms ran a tight ship. When they spoke, you listened. If you didn't mom punished you right then and there and dad punished you again when he got home.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:17 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
I've asked this question many a time to several posters on this forum and have yet to get a definitive answer on what traditional, family values really are. So with that in mind I'm going to open the floor for ALL of C-D to let people know what THEY hold as family values so we can finally dispel this air of myth surrounding it. Here's a possible answer key for you, all you have to do is copy and paste it:

Traditional, family values that I hold near and dear are as follow -

These are what I feel are family values and will defend them with all my being.

(Note that you can add more as need be)

You already posted your results...."""have yet to get a definitive answer"""....and you won't.

It was a made up phrase for politicians who also had no idea what it meant but it sounded good to dopes who cheered for it even though they had no idea what it meant.

As you can see from the response here it's just a good way to vent bigotry, hatred and stupidity .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies