Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Speaking of psych drugs--YOU sound like the one who needs a nice long inpatient visit at a local psych hospital to sort out meds.
When you can't debate the issue hurl insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 03:17 PM

When I was a child no one took any medicine for ADHD and I remember classrooms being well controlled.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You aren't.

One of my cousins and her husband were concerned about their son in school so they yanked him out and did homeschooling. Neither parent had ever gone to college. Homeschooling according to them took only about 2 hours every morning -- for 3 kids. They would read with the kids and do some math problems.

Then they would all work together, the father ran a farm and the kids would help.

At the time I thought it looked like a bad idea -- and how could two people with no college prepare kids for college? Well the kids didn't go to college but they all turned out fine, can get jobs, keep jobs. One has his own business and is fairly successful. They learned enough and they also learned a work ethic. They won't turn out to be Salk's Institute neuro-scientists like the guy in Colorado, but they are doing alright all the same.
How can you tell the difference between anti social behavior in a child that requires more attention, intense instruction facilitating the embrace of self discipline, and general behavioral modification vs those who legitimately need medication? I've already brought this up and you're ignoring it with a magic bullet mentality. Home schooling does not solve all things. Neither is it a deliverable plan for the masses even if they wanted to pursue it.

Big pharma overstepping it's bounds to the detriment of patient care creates junk science that the medical profession, the patient, parents, and public schools are at the mercy of and that is most needful of confrontation. Medical science is obliged to be truthful if it is to be effective and big pharma is not in the business of being truthful.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
So... this medication you're on as an adult is working? But the underlying cause of what you are currently medicating is irrelevant back in the day when it was manifesting itself in your early childhood and undermining your intellectual and emotional growth? And somehow, you got from point a to point z, all by your mavericky self?

It's great your kids take no medicine. They aren't manifesting troubles like your mother saw in you as a child? Or did you find a cure for ADHD? Please do share that information if you have found a way. ADHD is a tough nut for parents trying to cope with a disorder that has a very wide spectrum of manifestation.
I am not on meds for any mental problem or behavior problem. I take medicine for my stomach I can't handle spicy things and sometimes it acts up. Yes I got where I am by myself. Maybe if people had understood what I truly needed 15 years ago I wouldn't have quit school because I was so bored and learned more at home by myself.

My mother says my son acts like I did as a kid with the ADHD but I think he is just a normal child and a doctor has backed me up on that. Both my older kids went to a psychologist and she said they are normal kids. To smart for their own good but normal none the less.My daughter and son both start school here in about 2 weeks and I already got the gifted kids application printed off ready to turn in once my oldest shows she is doing the work to easy. She tested number 1 in her class of 30 in pre k,she knew everything she needed to know before she even started pre k, just a naturally curious child and even though she can't read well she devours books like nothing.Son is following in her foot steps but I think he is going to be a bit more hardheaded and into mischief.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:21 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
When I was a child no one took any medicine for ADHD and I remember classrooms being well controlled.
Of course. I am assuming you are older than 35? Back then a teacher could whip a kids butt and not have the parents climbing all over them for doing so,we actually had teachers that were allowed to teach and not have to be so pc about everything...things are getting worse as each passing year goes..

Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
How am I self medicating? My kids take no medicine and the medicine I take is prescribed by a doc.
The point is the mother took her child to someone who was qualified to treat her daughter and the government did not agree with the decision her and her doctor made. Ultimately leading to her arrest, trial and eventual acquittal.

The fact her doctor weaned her daughter off the medication over a six month period tells me there was no knee-jerk reaction to problems the drug was apparently causing. CPS should have left this case alone and they certainly cannot constitutionally rubber stamp a judges signature.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Speaking of psych drugs--YOU sound like the one who needs a nice long inpatient visit at a local psych hospital to sort out meds.
Yes, when elementary schools are being renamed fema camps by $$$$$ propagandists... the people believing it are beyond meaningful help because in their world, everyone else is crazy. Not them. The common sentiment of crazy people stuck in a closed loop in perpetuity. All self inflicted.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:24 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm not going to click on any stupid black helicopter conspiracy youtube video, been burnt a few times.

I'll repeat you cannot give a kid psych meds without parental consent.

Ask some of our many doctors on this forum. Any health care professional that tells you otherwise is either a liar or incompetent.
The story is she had been giving her daughter the drug, but stopped because it caused her daughter to become violent. Certain atypical anti-psychotics routinely prescribed off-label for mental retardation and autism such as Haldol and Geodon do cause patients to go into severe violent fits. If it was one of those, and unfortunately the crappy video in the OP doesn't say, it's perfectly reasonable for her mom to refuse to continue the medication if it made her daughter uncontrollably violent.

If you've never seen someone on those drugs, you have no idea how horrifying it is. But chances are if the girl was bad off enough they're prescribing the serous anti-psychotics, her mother likely isn't going to be able to meet all her needs anyway.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
The story is she had been giving her daughter the drug, but stopped because it caused her daughter to become violent. Certain atypical anti-psychotics routinely prescribed off-label for mental retardation and autism such as Haldol and Geodon do cause patients to go into severe violent fits. If it was one of those, and unfortunately the crappy video in the OP doesn't say, it's perfectly reasonable for her mom to refuse to continue the medication if it made her daughter uncontrollably violent.

If you've never seen someone on those drugs, you have no idea how horrifying it is. But chances are if the girl was bad off enough they're prescribing the serous anti-psychotics, her mother likely isn't going to be able to meet all her needs anyway.
Once again, the mother worked with a doctor, over a six month period, to wean her daughter from the medication.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Agree with that, but classrooms were also quite thin back in those days. Runaway kids, troubles at home that caused them to drop out in 6th grade... we didn't see those kids. We (society) didn't help them either. They often became street urchins picked up by whatever malevolence walked past them in those days and living a privileged life oblivious to what was going on back then didn't make it go away. It only meant you chose to hold onto rose colored glasses and forced beat cops to be social workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies