Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

Let the free market handle it. If people don't like this business then it won't stay in business. Case closed. Simple really.

Last edited by janelle144; 08-01-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I challenge the claim that gay marriage should not be allowed. Would you blame "God" or some unverifiable/false claim about homosexuals for this view? Because the bible doesn't say you shouldn't allow gays to get married (In fact, considering the whole "free will" concept, he seems to be about letting "sinners" go ahead and "sin" more than anything else). He only says it's wrong. But if you would blame it on him, where is your opposition to giving all the other "sinners" the same rights as you enjoy? Personal prejudice revealed.

Or maybe you don't blame it on "God". Maybe you think it would harm society to let gays marry or adopt. But the evidence contradicts that kind of thinking as well. Here is evidence that might suggest gays are just as good (better, actually) at making a marriage work than heterosexuals:

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

"LOL. WTH when gay marriage is only how old in what states? 2 years in 13 states---really intelligent study."

Here is evidence that being raised by gay parents is not harmful to children in any way:

APA Policy Statement: Sexual Orientation, Parents, & Children
Studies of same-sex parenting

"It doesn't take a genius to know children do better with their mother and father living together in the same house and married to each other. DUH."

And here is evidence that children of same-sex couples may even fare better, generally speaking:

A child's life in a "gay" household
"Generally speaking. Who is speaking anyway? " May even fare better"----from a general study done by who? People with an agenda to prove it? We are expected to accept silly studies done by silly people being paid for it in where---universities, that get money to do the study? OOOKKKAAAYYYYYY"

Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Let the free market handle it. If people doesn't like this business then it won't stay in business. Case closed. Simple really.
Apparently the OP has some big issues with that.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 AM

228 posts, read 507,563 times
Ultimately in the end, it's his business. I don't agree with his decision and I think his judgment and business sense stinks.

If it were my business, I'll serve anyone and everyone as long as they have the cash.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
Ultimately in the end, it's his business. I don't agree with his decision and I think his judgment and business sense stinks.

If it were my business, I'll serve anyone and everyone as long as they have the cash.
That my friend is Communism, at least that's what nutjobs say

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
That my friend is Communism, at least that's what nutjobs say
I think it's more accurately called capitalism, but both communism and capitalism have the inherent flaws of being amoral and Godless.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
All very interesting information, but it has absolutely nothing to do with gay marriages... as I'm sure plenty of gay couples use "traditional" designs, which look no different from any other wedding cakes. Does this particular bakery only make stock cakes, and refuse ALL customers who request a unique design? For that matter, do you think any couples (gay or straight) DON'T come up with their own?? I've been a bridesmaid/MOH four times now, and every one of these couples had a unique/custom cake. So again, how is this specific to gay vs straight weddings?

You have it backwards ...its a specialty shop. No cake would be the same. These cakes are ornaments. He does not do cakes for non traditional weddings and has no interest. No one can force another to produce an inspired unique wholly artistic item for the sole purpose of enhancing a single setting. Can't force an interior decorator or painter to do your portrait. Can't force an independent photographer for the ceremony.Can't force a specific Church for the ceremony. If it was a local grocer that just belted them out on assembly I can see the argument...but the the shop is specific ...its called .."Masterpiece Cake Shop" its a done deal except for the squawking...He has more argument as well.

Last edited by stargazzer; 08-01-2012 at 04:29 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Would any just married man and women levy a law suite in efforts to destroy a family business right after getting married......for not making them a cake ?

More evidence showing that a gay couple cannot be anything but a destructive menace to society. Threatening even more unemployment, effecting tax dollars in litigation, wasting the valuable time of the people, for a cake.
Pretty interesting stretch.
I'd probably say that they're creating more jobs and giving someone the opportunity to start a new cake making business that doesn't discriminate.

I can boycott anyone I choose, for any reason I choose.
I haven't used Exxon petrol since the Valdez.

It seems that you have a problem with the free market and choose to blame others (that you apparently dislike or hate) for a free market issue.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I can boycott anyone I choose, for any reason I choose.
I haven't used Exxon petrol since the Valdez.
I haven't watched pro football since 1982 when the NFL players went on strike for more money.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Masterpiece Cake Shop Faces Boycott Call After Refusal to Make Gay Wedding Cakes | Video | TheBlaze.com

Wow...these people hate anything that doesn't accept their lifestyle...amazing.

"Homosexual hate on the rampage'? LOL!
What a drama queen!

And I'm not referring to the gay couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies