Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Also,I keep hearing how Asians share American values.
That can't be true,as I thought Christianity was a main component of American values?
(Most Asians are Hindu,Atheist,and buddhist.

Something isn't clicking.
The truth is that the ones saying this don't really believe it themselves. The whole purpose is to play one racial group against the other because as quiet as its kept most Whites don't like Asians either. They use the myth of the "model minority" as a backhanded compliment to Asians and as a means to insult Blacks. Nothing more, nothing less.

This adoration of all things Asian is phony. Whites do not truly applaud Asian success or their culture. I used to live in the San Gabriel Valley and had/have many friends in the area (Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, San Gabriel, Arcadia, etc) in California. This is a fairly wealthy area which is now heavily Asian but used to be predominantly White. And all one has to do is be in the company of the long time White residents (who have had a few glasses of merlot or whatever) and they will start spewing what they really think about Asians.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I have never seen a homeless Asian person.

i have

asian people excel in theirs academic pursues much more so than other racial groups , and they go into
the resturant business and self employ theirs community whereas other minority groups do not.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I've never seen a homeless Latino person either.

i have and i'm going to leave it at that.....

Old 08-06-2012, 06:46 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The truth is that the ones saying this don't really believe it themselves. The whole purpose is to play one racial group against the other because as quiet as its kept most Whites don't like Asians either. They use the myth of the "model minority" as a backhanded compliment to Asians and as a means to insult Blacks. Nothing more, nothing less.

This adoration of all things Asian is phony. Whites do not truly applaud Asian success or their culture. I used to live in the San Gabriel Valley and had/have many friends in the area (Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, San Gabriel, Arcadia, etc) in California. This is a fairly wealthy area which is now heavily Asian but used to be predominantly White. And all one has to do is be in the company of the long time White residents (who have had a few glasses of merlot or whatever) and they will start spewing what they really think about Asians
I can't believe that it took 23 pages of posts before someone finally got around to mentioning the "model minority myth." Several years ago, a couple of legal scholars "tested" it. Here's a link to a PDF of their findings...
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/laWr...en-McGowan.pdf

Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I can't believe that it took 23 pages of posts before someone finally got around to mentioning the "model minority myth." Several years ago, a couple of legal scholars "tested" it. Here's a link to a PDF of their findings...
Exactly this ^^^

....from the article/study

"Model minority status is a poisonous prize, because the stereotype will “only be wielded in defense of the racial status quo.
Whites will remain on top, African Americans on the bottom, with Asian Americans sandwiched in between.

Over the last two decades, affirmative action opponents and proponents have used the example of Asian Americans to support their arguments in a way that unmistakably pits Asian Americans’ interests against blacks’ and Latinos’.

Asian critical scholars argue that the successes that make Asian Americans a model minority also make Asian Americans threatening. Put simply, the “model minority myth . . . is twofaced. Every attractive trait matches up neatly to its repulsive complement, and the aspects are” easily reversed."

Old 08-06-2012, 09:04 PM

831 posts, read 680,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Exactly this ^^^

....from the article/study

"Model minority status is a poisonous prize, because the stereotype will “only be wielded in defense of the racial status quo.
Whites will remain on top, African Americans on the bottom, with Asian Americans sandwiched in between.

Over the last two decades, affirmative action opponents and proponents have used the example of Asian Americans to support their arguments in a way that unmistakably pits Asian Americans’ interests against blacks’ and Latinos’.

Asian critical scholars argue that the successes that make Asian Americans a model minority also make Asian Americans threatening. Put simply, the “model minority myth . . . is twofaced. Every attractive trait matches up neatly to its repulsive complement, and the aspects are” easily reversed."

Basically an oxymoron BS made up by those who continue to oppress everybody else in the minority bracket, it just continues to serve the purpose of control and have used every facet of the meaning to contain those collective of people.

Pitting one against the other to keep all other parties off balance. They have indeed mastered the art of divide and conquer and im sure millions of test subjects were tested on that, including their own before dwelling it onto others, ie blacks, asians, etc etc. which is why this cycle should stop.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
work ethic and calculus instead of hip hop and attitude
shirt and tie instead of pants down and 9mm
just guessing

Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Simply they were allowed to keep their culture as well as religion and language. Some people on this forum take these things for granted but it is a very important part of growth and self identity. This is why the first thing that the slavers did was strip the Africans of their original names as well as their culture, religion and language.
That might be partly it -- but also there is an advantage every immigrant has -- for one it's a select few that have the means and ambition to get here -- so we see a subset of the culture -- often the subset that is trying to escape their culture.

If all we saw was the most successful blacks or American Indians, there might be a whole different stereotype -- but it's just as true as the descendents of all the immigrant groups, impoverished whites would make whites look bad -- if whites saw themselves as some group.

But you're right -- while immigrant groups are encouraged to keep their cultures and their strong family values, blacks and native Americans were not.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Self-hating Asian?

You haven't posted anything to indicate your pride in your ethnic group.
I don't understand having "pride" in your race group -- nor shame. In fact if you say one individual should be proud that he's this or that race, then you imply someone else should be ashamed to be this or that race.

Instead of clinging to one's race for one's self-esteem, one should look at his/her self and what he or she has accomplished -- as an individual.

The racial superiority attitudes got Europe into big trouble a couple generations ago, the idea of some Master perfect race needs to be tossed out. It really doesn't matter if instead of Aryans, that Asians are declared to be the master race.

Last edited by malamute; 08-06-2012 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 PM

785 posts, read 619,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I didn't read it, but I am looking at the source and thinking its a tenured leftie doing anything to destroy the minority model. Anything to make more unsubstantiated racism claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies