Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just a point of clarity.

The letter that Obama wrote about the policies of the Harvard Law Review was not published in the Review. It was a letter to the Harvard Law Record, which is the newspaper of the Harvard Law School. The Harvard Law Review is a scholarly publication, and such a letter would be inappropriate. The letter to the newspaper was not subjected to any editorial review before publication, as such letters to any newspaper's editorial staff generally are not (except to remove profanity). A letter to an editor, especially to a paper with such small circulation, would employ casual grammar, not the formal grammar that is required in more scholarly writing.
Does he have any of these "scholarly writings" to back up your claim? No, he didn't even write his own bio's, and he has even admitted those writings are part fiction. In other words, he lied in his own books about himself. Liars lie and cannot be trusted because you can't believe anything they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I learned about runon sentences in grammar school, about the same time I learned about commas and periods. There is a proper way to write and speak, that may or may not matter when one is an affirmative action recipient. It is extremely important when one is representing a populace that supposedly values education.
You're confusing a run-on sentence with a LONG sentence. Just because a sentence is long, or it's hard for you personally to understand, doesn't mean that it's grammatically incorrect or even badly written. A run-on sentence is when two or more independent clauses (complete sentences) are joined without a conjunction or the appropriate punctuation. There isn't more than one independent clause, or complete sentence, in either of the sentences below, so they are NOT run-on sentences.

Here's the sentence:

"I must say, however, that as someone who has undoubtedly benefited from affirmative action programs during my academic career, and as someone who may have benefited from the Law Review’s affirmative action policy when I was selected to join the Review last year, I have not personally felt stigmatized either within the broader law school community or as a staff member of the Review. Indeed, my election last year as President of the Review would seem to indicate that at least among Review staff, and hopefully for the majority of professors at Harvard, affirmative action in no way tarnishes the accomplishments of those who are members of historically underrepresented groups."

Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,438,823 times
Quote:
So you want Harry Reid to prove his accusation against Romney,.....
yes, or show us the evidence that his claim is based on. same for trump.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,438,823 times
Quote:
..... and you are willing to assume Mitt is innocent until then? I doubt it.
imagine if romney showed his tax returns and they were confirmed directly by the IRS and multiple independent sources but a small group of people ( lets call them "taxers" ) kept claiming they were fraudulent and it was all part of some elaborate 50+ year conspiracy.

that would be a pretty silly scenario, huh claud?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I think all presidential candidates should provide their transcripts for public review. As voters, we have the responsibility of vetting the candidates in the same manner as an employer vets a job applicant.

Would it make some of them look stupid? Probably. Wouldn't you want to know if a candidate either struggled academically (not very bright) or wasn't responsible and diligent (poor work ethic) before you go to the polls?
Hell, this crowd doesn't think we have the right to question where he was born. You are clearly asking too much as far as academics, for liberals anyway. These days an A doesn't mean squat anyway, it just means they agreed with their trainer on all subjects. They were a good little robot.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
So he's guilty of poor proof reading in a letter to the editor he submitted to a student newspaper? His intent was clear.
good intentions? that's your excuse

Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
...and multiple oral stumbles when his teleprompter breaks down.

...and sometimes even not.

Dangers of TOTUS: Obama Reads Word "Corpsman" as "Corpse Man" Twice - YouTube

Obama's Health Insurance Lie: 3,000% Reduction In Premiums - YouTube

A 3,000% reduction? Someone's more than a little math-challenged.
This idiot needs to wear an earpiece that says, "repeat after me". lol

Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times
Quote:
I learned about runon sentences in grammar school, about the same time I learned about commas and periods.
And yet... your posts are still often riven with incompetent construction, misspellings, fractured syntax... all in the employ of irrational prejudice and blinding illogic.

And by the way, "run on" is two words.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Notice how you had to rewrite the sentence with a completely unnecessary redundancy to make it make sense under your theory?
"The editors were not given the criteria, by which they were selected."
keep it simple, stupid!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,263 times
Has Romney released his returns yet??? Nope.

Carry on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies