Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Saddam's death toll was in the millions, between his own people, including Kurds he murdered, the casualties of the Iran-Iraq wars, and of couse those slaughtered in Kuwait. Just the same, not our problem to fix. A JDAM on his head would have done the trick. Once he was dead, there was no reason to stay in Iraq; leave and let them sort it out. We don't need to spend a trillion dollars building a stone-age country into a modern democracy.
Get real. No one withing the high administration actually cared if Saddam killed ten people or ten million people. You have to realize that the grand and ruthless elite who sit in high positions in America and other nations...don't give a damn about anyone...BUT they love to pull the heart strings of decent people with things like woman's rights in Islamic countries and crap like "bringing democracy to the region" - What democracy--They don't have it here so how and why would you want to install it there?

You have one thing wrong...Iraq was not in the stone age..It was a fairly sophisticated state with pretty good infrastructure. Now with western intrusion is has become more stone age. When a trillion dollars is spent- someone pays for that- and someone turns a tidy profit on the expenditure...and it was not the common person.

From my personal experience...Knowing an old guy from my original area..who used to build himself multi-million dollar homes...usually hiring the local bad boys to do the building...This guy was an arms dealer during the Iraq - Iran conflict..that was a bloody mess and a huge waste of human life...I commented to the arms dealer that his house was built with blood money...He found that remark offensive and here is what his retort was..

"I saved lives" - I asked him how could that be? He replied "I armed both sides"....There you go in a nut shell what this garbage is all about. This man was allowed to operate in Canada unimpeded. I am sure if we had this type of person here- then you surely had a few hundred of these weasels in America.

War almost has nothing to do with ideology. They pump ideological propaganda into the minds of the pubic...and most go for this ruse and fraud...The tax payer forks out the money...a few individuals utilize those funds and generate billions in profits...Who do you think makes a few bucks every time they fire a cruise missile? Certainly not the average person.. These adventures would be fine if those who plunder had a profit sharing system with the American public...but know- They lie to everyone...chant the mantra of democracy and freedom and laugh all the way too a Swiss bank.

War and killing for profit is as old as time itself. That's the inherent flaw in American foreign policy. Everything is based on "what's in it for me?" ...The Roman empire operated on the same principle...feeding off every other surrounding nation...The whole concept is parasitic and simplistic - This bickering concerning Iran is in it's early stages- They are gearing up to find the best way to maximize profits...Even a nation with a few nukes if that was to happen - would not dare use them- With a nation looking on like a vulture who has thousands of very accurate nukes....It's absurd that Iran should be invade because of a weapon of mass destruction-

Common sense dictates that Iran would be turned into a sea of molten glass if they used or threatened with a nuke....so who are they kidding...Iran is as much of a threat as Iraq...No one with a 22 bolt action single shot rifle is going to point it or use it against multiple forces with a thousand 50 caliber machine guns ready to too fire- just using an analogy. That's the way I see it...People are getting tired of being treated like children and sending their children off to die and be maimed all for the sake of some arrogant lying parasites who should get real jobs that actually contribute to the real prosperity and stability of the nation and the world at large. We are ruled by idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
We all know Iraq had nothing to do with 911 or terrorism now.

So how the Iraq war is seen now, 10 years after? I wonder how the American see this.
One of the biggest mistakes in US history.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,737,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Get real. No one withing the high administration actually cared if Saddam killed ten people or ten million people. You have to realize that the grand and ruthless elite who sit in high positions in America and other nations...don't give a damn about anyone...BUT they love to pull the heart strings of decent people with things like woman's rights in Islamic countries and crap like "bringing democracy to the region" - What democracy--They don't have it here so how and why would you want to install it there?

exactly
What kind of stupidity would lead people to believe the US went to war with Iraq because the administration cared about the freedom of the Iraqi people? It is nothing but the media's story in trying to justify a pure military invasion. I can't believe some people are brainwashed enough to buy that kind of crap. How many people were killed by Saddam is by no way a motive for attack but definitely served as a nice excuse as if the US government cares about humanities worldwide.Guess what, if Iraq were not in the middle east, the US would not care if its entire population is killed.

What the US wants is keep controlling the middle east and hope everyone serves the US like Saudi Arabia.

Speaking of freedom, how come the US is not interested in giving Saudi Arabians just that? It is one of the most authoritarian regime in the world, where general elections and political parties are not allowed. I only see the US continuously preaching China about that but it never seems to have a problem with the lack of freedom and democracy in Saudi Arabia. Speaking of hypocrisy.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
I see it as the same asinine, ill-advised, no benefit to the US war of choice as I did in 2003. Another failed attempt at building a nation we have no business building.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,156,239 times
Quote:
So how the Iraq war is seen now, 10 years after?
10 years after what exactly? I was last there in 2007.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
We all know Iraq had nothing to do with 911 or terrorism now.

So how the Iraq war is seen now, 10 years after? I wonder how the American see this.
We knew Iraq had nothing to do with the attacks on 09/11/2001 from the very beginning. Iraq, however, was very much involved in terrorism, and had been since 1977. At the time S. 23 was enacted into Public Law 107-40 (the "War on Terrorism") there were four nations actively sponsoring international terrorism: Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, and Syria. That made Iraq a legitimate military target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Once Sadam Hussain was gone we should have been gone too.
I agree. Overthrowing Saddam and removing the Baath Party from power in Iraq was our primary objective. Not Nation Building. We should have left Iraq by 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I wish the USSR would have taken over Afghanistan. The U.S basically created the Taliban to fight the USSR. Once again, for whatever reason, we always take the Islamists side over the secularists. It was true then. It is true today (Egypt, Libya, Syria, etc.).
Actually, the US had nothing to do with the creation of the Taliban. The Taliban were created by the Pakistani ISI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
UN leaders, who voted for it and represent those respective countries...
At no time in US history has the US had the support of so many different nations in a military action.

Countries publicly committed to the Coalition involved in Operation Iraqi Freedom: Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Rwanda, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Tonga, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Uzbekistan.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:06 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,481,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We removed a dictator who murdered his own people, went to war repeatedly with his neighbors, was not abiding by the cease fire or UN Resolutions, it's good that he is gone.

Now, why did we go to war with Moammar Gadhafi and invade Libya?
So we invaded Iraq in 2003 because Saddam killed people in 19882 and 1988? Try again.
Israel doesn`t abide by UN resolutions so I guess they`re next.
We invaded Libya? How many brigades were sent to Libya?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,587,648 times
Lightbulb How do we see the Iraq War now?

The Winners:

Iran
Saudi Arabia
Halliburton
Blackwater

The Losers:

Thousands of American families
More thousands of Iraqi families
The American taxpayer

In short, it was the dumbest, least justified, most bone-headed international act ever by an American president.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We knew Iraq had nothing to do with the attacks on 09/11/2001 from the very beginning. Iraq, however, was very much involved in terrorism, and had been since 1977. At the time S. 23 was enacted into Public Law 107-40 (the "War on Terrorism") there were four nations actively sponsoring international terrorism: Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, and Syria. That made Iraq a legitimate military target.

But WHAT made it a priority target after the US was attacked by an organization known to have operations in more than 40 countries yet few/none in Iraq?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times
Well how about invading those double crossing guys in Pakistan- that took American money and used it to finance terrorists in Afghanistan? Of course you can't invade them- they have nukes....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies