Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL I would laugh at them just like i am laughing at you.... My wife and son would laugh at them too. if my Dad was alive WW-2 vet he would laugh at them too.

What authority? How would they enforce anything? Go ahead and admit it you are so frustrated right now you want to bear a cow....

Dream on...

If I was away and your authorities stole my possessions, in a court of Law I would sue them, and then buy more. If i could not buy more, then I would make more.

Once this was sort of tested.

A work mate of mine during the Volvo years, and I went target shooting. He was a x Marine. Well I forgot a loaded pistol in his vehicle and went to Mass for the weekend. Knowing he had kids I called him. He was cool, but when i got back he had been busted for speeding which he did... The cops made an illegal search and seized my gun. In court I told the Judge that the gun was mine and i had paper, so the Judge ordered the gun returned.

The cops had already lied telling me the gun was lost and then again had been crushed. 2 lies.. The cops saw it wasn't well advised to lie the same 2 lies to the judge and so my gun was returned later that day.

They brought it back with no bullets.... I sent them to fetch them as well.....

There is no way to disarm me, unless of course you kill me first.
So, in other words, your reaction would be the same as this guy in College Station? Gotcha. This is why you shouldn't have a firearm.

Given the "discrepancies" in what you have written in this thread and other comments you've made, you'll forgive me if I'm skeptical of any of your tales. Heck, for all I know, you're a liberal creating a caricature to mock the stereotypical Soldier of Fortune-reading, "I fondle my gun named Lucy" NRA member. Is this a put-on or is this for real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A psychological examination before being allowed to purchase, own and carry a gun? As swagger has mentioned that is setting up for favoritism or prejudice depending who is giving the test and approving the outcome.

A woman clearly distraught goes to take the test as she is wanting to buy a handgun. She explains that her ex has been threatening her and has said "if I can't have you nobody will and you'll never take my kids away".

The person asks her a series of questions...

doc~"I see you have mentioned that you are fearful of your husband"?
her~ "yes I have been fearing for my life and for my children, I have lost much sleep lately and I am scared"
doc~"I see, you haven't been sleeping much?, loss of sleep can effect judgment". You mentioned your children, that means you want a gun in the house with your children?"
her~ "yes I am fearful for their lives as well as mine"
doc~ "*statistically a gun in the house with children is more dangerous for them than without one according to *research*".
doc~" are you on any medication?".
her~ "yes for social anxiety"
doc~ "oh you take meds for anxiety, do you think that maybe you are over reacting to your husband?"
her~ "no"
doc~ "well........., I will evaluate these questions and I will submit these results to the authorities. Pending approval it may take 4 to 6 weeks, please pay at the desk on your way out thank you"

A week later police responded to a murder at her residence, despite a restraining order her husband came to the house and strangled her , 5 weeks later her approval for a purchase of a gun was received in the mail, the office in charge of approvals didn't get the word that she didn't need one anymore so it seems.
It isn't particularly difficult to weed out paranoid schizophrenics like Mark David Chapman if we get a trained professional to evaluate them. I think it's more difficult to identify sociopaths, but I would really want an exhaustive analysis done before allowing anyone to carry concealed weapons in public spaces.

One of the amusing things is this idea of "law abiding" citizens. The character in Denver was "law-abiding" until he snapped. Had a few circumstances been different at school, he very well may have gone through the rest of his life without a gun crime to his name. Then, as your neighbor, you might have cited him as a responsible gun owner.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
It isn't particularly difficult to weed out paranoid schizophrenics like Mark David Chapman if we get a trained professional to evaluate them. I think it's more difficult to identify sociopaths, but I would really want an exhaustive analysis done before allowing anyone to carry concealed weapons in public spaces.

One of the amusing things is this idea of "law abiding" citizens. The character in Denver was "law-abiding" until he snapped. Had a few circumstances been different at school, he very well may have gone through the rest of his life without a gun crime to his name. Then, as your neighbor, you might have cited him as a responsible gun owner.
If it comes out in court that he was an abuser of prescription drugs (as indicated as a possibility in some articles revealing his psychiatric treatment) then he had to have lied on his BATFE form 4473. Thus, not a law abiding citizen but a liar committing a felony.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Let's get this straight....................................
The REFUSAL to realize that the complete lack of gun control in the USA is abhorrent, ignorant and the cause of the loss of many, many, many, many innocent lives is INSANE..
The excuse that to have gun laws means that we are easy prey to criminals or lunatics with guns is obviously STUPID as we are now easy prey and this is a indisputable FACT.
To get rid of guns in the USA will not be easy but to complete ignore the problem will mean nothing more than many many empty chairs every year at thanksgiving.
Keep listening to the NRA and the loony tunes amongst us who want guns to rule our lives and keep burying more of our loved ones...................... INSANITY GONE CRAZY!
What a load of ignorant BS. Maybe you should keep to topics about the UK where you might have some understanding of what is going on because you clearly know squat about gun control or gun laws in the US.

Why don't you tell us about the increasing gun crime in the UK where you banned guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I am now a US Citizen and have every right to want a Country that is NO LONGER ruled by the gun.
You don't like that............. then TOUGH!
No you don't. In this country we have a RIGHT to bear arms. If you don't like it go back to the UK.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Libs should be very happy about this, they hate the filthy red state of Texassippi.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
People who like weapons tend to be people who have less regard for "life." You'll notice that Gandhi, MLK, Jesus and the like had little use for weapons.
I suggest you read Luke 22:36. Jesus's disciples were armed on His orders. Peter cut the ear off a temple guard with his sword when they came to arrest Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Last edited by Bideshi; 08-14-2012 at 01:04 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
according to the 6p.m. local news the shooting in TEXAS was near the TX A&M campus...
It was a constable serving an eviction notice who was shot and killed, as well as the gunmen(person being served)
and another person...NO STUDENTS involved but the university did send text messages to all students near that area
to remain inside until the situation was resolved...end of story...
The real core of the story here is probably the eviction and what led up to it. This won't be the last violent resistance to evictions. This guy was not a mass murderer who decided to go out and kill as many people as he could. He was most likely reacting (irrationaly for sure) to what he perceived as injustices inflicted on him as he was being forceably evicted from his home.

What really irritates me about media coverage is the repeated claims of an "automatic" weapon being used. It was a semi-automatic rifle.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
For mass killings guns, particularly assault weapons and semi auto hand guns are the weapon of choice in the US, which is what this thread is about...It is not about clogging your arteries from eating at choke and puke establishments.
Would it make you feel better if they used fertilizer and diesel fuel instead of guns? Would that make you happy? People who go to great lengths to plan out these crimes aren't going to be stopped by making it harder to get guns, they'll just use something else. Did banning guns from being on airplanes stop 9/11?

Quote:
Can you cite any times in history that someone used a knife, sticks or stones to instantly kill dozens of people?
Knives have been used to injure or kill more people in a single attack than died in this latest tragedy. Just because the media doesn't dance in their blood doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Can you cite any time in history when guns have been used to instantly kill dozens of people? No, because it can't be done. You can do it with home made bombs.

Quote:
More brilliance. Yes, explosives are an easy weapon to create for your average nutcase, right? How about, "If we ban guns, the wackos will just start using nuclear weapons."
Yes actually they are easy to create, don't assume everyone else is as ignorant as you are.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
"Those who would trade essential liberty for a little security deserve neither liberty nor security".
- Benjamin Franklin
You can hardly claim you have liberty when you're afraid to walk around without a gun can you?

How many other countries have liberty while not having the plethroa of guns?

Simply because some guy in the 1700's made a statement after a war to gain Liberty makes that bit of reasoning valid well over 200 years later. Was he gifted with future sight? Thank god they didn't have nukes in his day eh?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Yeah well if they were in a state where people can carry their guns openly or concealed this wouldn't have happened.

/s
/s ? what is that? like *end sarcasm*?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies