Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times

Advertisements

How about personal pride people? There is an inner satisfaction from doing a job well that has nothing to do with pay.

I just retired but I was a teacher in a union state meaning I was tenured, so I wasn't going to get fired and my raises in pay had nothing to do with either my work ethic or outcome. But I worked my butt off and my kids always had one of the top three scores in the district in my subject, if not the top score. I worked that hard because 1) I took pride in my job and always wanted that top score, 2) I owed my employer the best I could give, 3) because of the nature of my job, I had a moral obligation to those kids to give them the best education possible and 4) I loved the satisfaction of knowing I had done what I was supposed to and done it well. Believe me, I ran into far too many teachers who felt differently but I also noticed they didn't seem as satisfied with their lives in general as I did either.

I believe you owe it to your own ego to do the best job possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock.teller View Post
Personal pride is not a form of money accepted by the oppressors.

Doing the best job possible and taking pride in your job are tools created by the oppressors to enslave the masses. To make money, the enslaved really need to work outside the system of rules created by the oppressors to bring the oppressors to their knees.
Post adolescent idealistic phase, party of one.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Dude...... I haven't ran into many oppressors in my time that I have felt the need to rebel against. But, at any rate, I was responding to this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
does an employee have an obligation to work to the best of his ability, or should he just work to what he feels his paycheck merits?

If he is on a low wage, does he have a right to do the bare minimum that he can get away with - in other words, what is the incentive for the floor sweeper on min wage at MacD's?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
does an employee have an obligation to work to the best of his ability, or should he just work to what he feels his paycheck merits?

If he is on a low wage, does he have a right to do the bare minimum that he can get away with - in other words, what is the incentive for the floor sweeper on min wage at MacD's?

if he gets fired, then so what.

but if we look at this the other way around, those on much higher salaries and profit earnings, say they must get these wages otherwise they would not work so hard and create jobs.

Anyone see the glaring double standard here

so what is it to be?
The reality is that most people will work harder if they believe it may lead to a positive outcome in the form of getting a better job or a bigger paycheck. We are, for the most part, driven by what is in our own best interests.

In general, the higher the salary is or the opportunity for advancement, the greater importance a worker will place on keeping the job and the harder they will work. Remove any incentive for betterment and a worker will do the bare minimum. Remove the fear of losing one's job and livelyhood and a worker won't even do the bare minimum (see the failure of Communism across the globe for examples).

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
When you walk into a bank you assume the role of a slave and beg for them to give you a few dimes, I walk in and take whatever I want. If I want your automobile I will not ask, I will just take it.
Oooooo.... Internet thuggery....so scary.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with being an employee, you have a responsibility to yourself to do the best you can. Otherwise, why bother?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
We are not living in some fairy land where hard work is rewarded. It is all about who you know and who you blow in this world.
Sounds like you have your excuses for laziness and ensuing lack of success all lined up, good for you! Enjoy your trailer home, and remember it ain't your fault you are living there.

Quote:
When you walk into a bank you assume the role of a slave and beg for them to give you a few dimes, I walk in and take whatever I want. If I want your automobile I will not ask, I will just take it.
I often doubt the eye-opening statistics that are thrown about on how many hours per day people watch day on average, then I see posts like this and they become a lot more believable.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM

981 posts, read 1,621,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Sounds like you have your excuses for laziness and ensuing lack of success all lined up, good for you! Enjoy your trailer home, and remember it ain't your fault you are living there.

I often doubt the eye-opening statistics that are thrown about on how many hours per day people watch day on average, then I see posts like this and they become a lot more believable.
Continue living in your delusional world where success and hard work are correlated. Amazingly, the American people, despite being more productive than ever, are becoming less and less prosperous by the year. The average American makes the equivalent of what a person made in 1978.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:

Let's face it. A lot of jobs suck! More and more companies poke and prod into the personal lives of their employees and what they are doing on their own time, instead of focusing on their credentials and whether or not they are qualified to do the job. Companies don't have the loyalty to their employees that they once had back in the day. I certainly don't like the way the job environment in this country is going, and someday would to be able to be my own boss. However; your philosophy is going to either get you on the the receiving end of a bullet one day, or prison.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
When you get your first job, or a new job, you do have choices. Do the minimum and hope you keep your job and never go anywhere (and don't count on seniority for getting those promotions either) or work over and above, look for opportunities to do other things, forge relationships with people in positions to help you, etc. It's not just "do this/earn that". That's not how it works. People who think things are unfair usually drop the ball on one of the points I made, usually the part about forming relationships or looking for other things to do. Those folks won't advance and it's absolutely fair since they don't show themselves as being particularly clever when it comes to things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies