Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,208,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Can I ask the question "what if the government were required to follow the same rules of investment that private fund managers were required to follow based on common actuarial tables of life expectancy and invest ALL of the funds deducted in risk averse equities with say a conservative return of 4 or 5% from day one of the funds inception?"

Instead of spending the money on anything those politicians deemed necessary over it's lifetime.
The money is loaned to the general fund and is paid interest, about $140 billion last year, for the use of that money. But you knew that, didnt you?

Last edited by buzzards27; 08-15-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The media doesn't talk about Korea any more. I had a high school buddy who drove the lead truck in the dash to the China Sea after our President refused to let McArthur bomb the NKs and even chase them into China. Vernon said you better believe I had that truck going as fast as I could.

When I was in basic training in late 1954 we had a staff sergeant who had been a member of the 1st Armed Cavalry, the only American force up to then that had lost its combat flag. He was so goosy that when he heard a rifle fire and wasn't expecting it he hit the dirt and grabbed the nearest rifle from whoever had one in his hand. I wonder if he ever recovered from that. They didn't have any fancy names for what he was suffering from back then.

My brother was one of the Canadian 2PPCLI on Hill 677 at Kap'Yong that held them at the 38th by calling Kiwi support artillary onto themselves all of the night of April 23. His Lt-Col "big Jim" Stone had his WWII experience to fall back on and deployed them intelligently with overlapping fields of fire but it was still no cake walk. googling the "battle of Kap Yong" will glean what Ike felt about that one.

http://www.kvacanada.com/stories_rskap'yong.htm

Police action my butt!

Last edited by BruSan; 08-15-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,871,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Would you still be a Romney/Ryan supporter if their budget plan reduced your SS and Medicare benefits?

Would you take your parents in and take care of them if it did? If Obama wins you can count on that as it is set to go broke soon. Hope you develop some respect for your elders before then or I feel sorry for your parents.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The money is loaned to the general fund and is paid interest for the use of that money. But you knew that, didnt you?
Nope; I surely did not. As a retired Canadian who spends half of every year down there I only learn from my American friends. Much yet to learn and not enough remaining time to do it in.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM

27,189 posts, read 15,359,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"Texas A & M killer" there was no "Texas A & M killer"....I wont even try to explain it to you.......this whole thing sounds like something you made up.....

That's correct. there wasn't one.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Would you take your parents in and take care of them if it did? If Obama wins you can count on that as it is set to go broke soon. Hope you develop some respect for your elders before then or I feel sorry for your parents.
Spare me the respect for your elders crap. Respect is earned and since the majority of my elders have zero respect for the younger generations, they have a long way to go before they have earned anything.

I also know that my parents are not greedy bastards that would endorse a plan that protects every penny of their government handouts while gleefully screwing over their children and grandchildren. I guess that is what makes them different from the majority of the seniors that demand a lifetime of government handouts at current levels while backing plans to take them away from everyone else.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The money is loaned to the general fund and is paid interest, about $140 billion last year, for the use of that money. But you knew that, didnt you?
How about you telling us how the Congress will ever pay the SS fund that nearly $4 trillion that is in hat lock box in bonds. Since we are in debt to others about $16 trillion would you want to bet who gets paid first, the American taxpayers, or those others. I don't see how we get out $4 trillion first since GM money didn't go to taxpayers before it went to the UAW. You are spouting leaner talking points.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Spare me the respect for your elders crap. Respect is earned and since the majority of my elders have zero respect for the younger generations, they have a long way to go before they have earned anything.

I also know that my parents are not greedy bastards that would endorse a plan that protects every penny of their government handouts while gleefully screwing over their children and grandchildren. I guess that is what makes them different from the majority of the seniors that demand a lifetime of government handouts at current levels while backing plans to take them away from everyone else.
How long have your parents been drawing Social Security? I don't think they are there yet reading some of your leaner talk.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How long have your parents been drawing Social Security? I don't think they are there yet reading some of your leaner talk.
Long enough. I guess you thought wrong.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Nope; I surely did not. As a retired Canadian who spends half of every year down there I only learn from my American friends. Much yet to learn and not enough remaining time to do it in.
yep, trust fund "loans" out their funds just like a bank would, makes more sense then a stack of bills under your bed.

I'm a retired American that would like to spend 1/2 my time up there. Where you from? Any idea what Sparrow Lake is like now a days? my wife summered there every year as a kid. I'd also like to visit Lake Agnew, was there as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies