Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

A recent article posted on gawker.com included the story of a 61-year-old woman who has been through hell and back during this economic downturn....

'I sent out close to 500 resumes. Most never were even acknowledged and those that were I was told I was over qualified.'

At one point she was so desperate she took a job where she was making the decision about what dogs to slaughter at an animal shelter. Approximately 85 percent of the dogs at the shelter ended up being killed, and she was working about 80 hours a week doing this. The really sad part is that she really loves dogs....

'I was the one that would be the decision maker on who lives and dies of over 10,000 animals per year and the toll mentally was hard. Being salary I was working nearly 80 hours a week due to shorthanded staff.'

After she was fired for not being aggressive enough in killing off dogs, she started endlessly sending out resumes once again. Nobody wants to hire her, and she essentially feels like an old lady begging for a job....

Personally Training Their Replacements

If you knew that your company was going to tear down your factory and send your job to China, would you personally train your replacement?

That is what a whole bunch of workers in Illinois are doing.

The following is from a recent article that appeared in the Guardian....

The shock of losing a precious job in a town afflicted by high unemployment is always hard. A foundation for a stable family life and secure home instantly disappears, replaced with a future filled with fears over health insurance, missed mortgage payments and the potential for a slip below the breadline.

But for Bonnie Borman – and 170 other men and women in Freeport, Illinois – there is a brutal twist to the torture. Borman, 52, and the other workers of a soon-to-be-shuttered car parts plant are personally training the Chinese workers who will replace them.

It's a surreal experience, they say. For months they have watched their plant being dismantled and shipped to China, piece by piece, as they show teams of Chinese workers how to do the jobs they have dedicated their lives to.

You Will Not Believe What Some People Are Willing To Do For A Paycheck These Days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
I don't know why according to this there are jobs everywhere...........

3.8 million job openings right now: Most in 4 years!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
A recent article posted on gawker.com included the story of a 61-year-old woman who has been through hell and back during this economic downturn....

'I sent out close to 500 resumes. Most never were even acknowledged and those that were I was told I was over qualified.'

At one point she was so desperate she took a job where she was making the decision about what dogs to slaughter at an animal shelter. Approximately 85 percent of the dogs at the shelter ended up being killed, and she was working about 80 hours a week doing this. The really sad part is that she really loves dogs....

'I was the one that would be the decision maker on who lives and dies of over 10,000 animals per year and the toll mentally was hard. Being salary I was working nearly 80 hours a week due to shorthanded staff.'

After she was fired for not being aggressive enough in killing off dogs, she started endlessly sending out resumes once again. Nobody wants to hire her, and she essentially feels like an old lady begging for a job....

Personally Training Their Replacements

If you knew that your company was going to tear down your factory and send your job to China, would you personally train your replacement?

That is what a whole bunch of workers in Illinois are doing.

The following is from a recent article that appeared in the Guardian....

The shock of losing a precious job in a town afflicted by high unemployment is always hard. A foundation for a stable family life and secure home instantly disappears, replaced with a future filled with fears over health insurance, missed mortgage payments and the potential for a slip below the breadline.

But for Bonnie Borman – and 170 other men and women in Freeport, Illinois – there is a brutal twist to the torture. Borman, 52, and the other workers of a soon-to-be-shuttered car parts plant are personally training the Chinese workers who will replace them.

It's a surreal experience, they say. For months they have watched their plant being dismantled and shipped to China, piece by piece, as they show teams of Chinese workers how to do the jobs they have dedicated their lives to.

You Will Not Believe What Some People Are Willing To Do For A Paycheck These Days
Well, you gotta love that spinning wheel don't you? We, up here in Canada, started experiencing that chit way back when your country insisted on Free Trade being implemented.

Our Prime Minister even sang a duet (Irish Eyes Are Smiling) with Reagan at it's signing. It's first result was us training Americans and watching our factories going to the right-to-work states back then. Next step was Mexico now it's China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malasia, India, Pakistan and any other chit hole country that can put up a cardboard shack and run wiring across the floor to machines you probably built for them.

What goes around, comes around!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
So why isn't obama doing anything about this? Outsourcing? Closing factories?

Yeah, that's the idea.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So why isn't obama doing anything about this? Outsourcing? Closing factories?

Yeah, that's the idea.
Obama hasn't done much, but then again, Mitt wouldn't have either. He enjoys firing people.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, you gotta love that spinning wheel don't you? We, up here in Canada, started experiencing that chit way back when your country insisted on Free Trade being implemented.

Our Prime Minister even sang a duet (Irish Eyes Are Smiling) with Reagan at it's signing. It's first result was us training Americans and watching our factories going to the right-to-work states back then. Next step was Mexico now it's China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malasia, India, Pakistan and any other chit hole country that can put up a cardboard shack and run wiring across the floor to machines you probably built for them.

What goes around, comes around!
Yes, and ironically, Canada is the biggest 'chit hole' country of them all.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
thats one reason why i was pissed off at people going after vick.

they put these dogs down, its big business that nobody knows about and throw em in dumpsters.

vick dogfights and the world is coming to an end.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Well she can kiss her chances goodbye now. ManyIllegals are no longer illegal as of today.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
thats one reason why i was pissed off at people going after vick.

they put these dogs down, its big business that nobody knows about and throw em in dumpsters.

vick dogfights and the world is coming to an end.
I wish she could get a job putting down idiots like Vick.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
meh, he's wrong in blaming the US when Canada just as willingly signed on for free trade, but I'd much rather live in Canada than any of those other places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies