Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,562 times

Advertisements

This article makes me proud of my fellow Americans doing something to combat poverty in our country, and proud of our president.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/ma...verty.html?hpw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
This article makes me proud of my fellow Americans doing something to combat poverty in our country, and proud of our president.

Great article...thanks

There is a reason that Obama has a very high likeability rating.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Yes, while many privileged Americans are spending their hard earned dollars in resting from jobs that pay them enough to enjoy this Labor Day weekend, there are many that will see it as just another day of struggle.

While the article is a good one, it is likely to be dismissed by our Conservative Americans as biased reporting from a "Right-wing Liberal" publication. Sadly, our nation's poor hang between a number of rocks (in Congress), and the hard truths of a growing poverty class.

Last night we listened to an audio clip of a speech given in the RNC, and mention was made of the current administration's failure to get jobs for the 23 million unemployed, and wondered just how that could've been accomplished with the current Congress quagmire the Administration faces. While looking into sources less biased, I found this statement in Politifact.com: "a president's ability to influence the economy is severely limited."

While our nation's politicians fight over the scrap of power between them, millions of American's lives are at stake, as your cited article describes. More than 45 million Americans live in poverty, according to current statistics, but it is likely to be worse, according to another article found, because: "That method of calculating who is poor and who is not has been under fire by researchers for years because it doesn’t calculate the benefits of anti-poverty programs — such as food stamps and housing subsidies — into its formula."

Furthermore, with not enough jobs to satisfy the existing demand, the poor have a continually increased threat of dropping off grid -- as millions of current homeless have already.

It is REALLY time for Americans to wake up and pull together. To stop seeing the poor as deserving of their situation, and get people working so they can improve their lives. It is going to take a lot of compromise, ingenuity, and stepping out of comfort zones if we are going to overcome this situation.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Obama's fight AGAINST poverty? He's CAUSING more poverty so more people end up on the government dole and dependent on the Dependency ... oops I mean Democratic Party.

More poor people = more Democratic voters
Keep them poor and they will keep on voting Democratic

Old 09-01-2012, 08:15 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:

Really? Why does the number of poor people in the US keep climbing???
Number of poor hit record 46 million in 2010 | Reuters
Poorest poor in US hits new record: 1 in 15 people - Yahoo! News

Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Well, write an article declaring what another person believes and you should lose most thinking people.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:

there are quite a few more millions of people that are poor now. thanks president Obama. because when you depend on the government you are truly poor and not just in monetary but in pride as well. president Obama wants to take away your pride so that you can depend on a centralize government, because they know best what is good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies