Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I have tried a variation on that in my car. My rule is: "a**, gas, or grass; no one rides for free." After all it is MY car. It never has gone over too well and I find I've had to relax the rule with the vast majority of passengers.

I like those rules!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
BTW, now that it has been established that CCW holders can carry in Colorado college classrooms....

If you wanted to pull a Virginia Tech and shoot up some classrooms full of students, which would you pick?

A Colorado college classroom where somebody might shoot back at you (and you'll never know who is carrying until the bullet hits you)?

Or a classroom in, say, California where the government has guaranteed for you, that the law-abiding students will be unable to shoot back, thus leaving you free to rack up the truly impressive body count you want, before the cops finally show up and take care of you?

Kudoes to the Colorado legislature and/or courts who made this decision. They just reduced the chances of another Virginia Tech-style massacre... at least, in Colorado.

The only strange thing, is that some people object to this.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
I don't see how legally qualified students with concealed weapons would cause a problem. If someone is going to kill someone or everyone in his classroom, they would carry illegally anyways and not follow any rule or law.

If anything the crazies will seek out to kill where they know people aren't carrying weapons potentially.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I like those rules!
I'd just make it "grass, grass, or grass."

Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
His classroom, his rules.

My dad is a retired commercial airline pilot. After 9-11 and they started allowing armed marshals and some armed pilots on planes my dad made it clear he wouldn't allow a gun his plane and would throw any armed marshal or first officer off. He's the captain - his plane, his rules.

Hahahaha!
Sounds good on paper though, doesn't it......

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
Just blowing hot air, until confronted....

He would have lost his job, had he actually beat his chest. He doesn't own the airline.
The deal is, even the pilots didn't know who was the sky marshal on the plane.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I don't see how legally qualified students with concealed weapons would cause a problem. If someone is going to kill someone or everyone in his classroom, they would carry illegally anyways and not follow any rule or law.

If anything the crazies will seek out to kill where they know people aren't carrying weapons potentially.
My point exactly.

The crazies who commit mass murders, usually aren't afraid to die. They know they probably will, when the cops show up. Their goal is to create a huge nationwide splash, complete with lurid headlines and videos of sobbing victims and relatives, that go on for weeks as the bodies are bagged and the funerals go on.

And a law-abiding citizen with a concealed gun in the room, can deny the nutcase what he wants: a long massacre with dozens of bodies to show, long after he's gone.

The murderers are clearly insane... but not insane enough that they fail to plan their murders and carry them out successfully. And they know that doing it in a class where CCW is legal, gives them less chance of racking up their desired body count before an armed student gets them, than doing it in a class where CCW is forbidden and they can freely continue to blaze away for many minutes or even hours as the Virginia Tech shooter did, before the cops finally show up (OUTSIDE the classroom).

The greatest result of allowing lawful Concealed Carry in classrooms, is that the nutcases are less likely to try their little escapade there in the first place. Because they know they are less likely to make all the headlines after they die, as they want to.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:02 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And a law-abiding citizen with a concealed gun in the room, can deny the nutcase what he wants: a long massacre with dozens of bodies to show, long after he's gone
I've said it many times before; I don't believe that theory is as valid as many claim. Part of me believes that an armed civilian (many of which have no training for such a situation) could potentially be dangerous as well to other bystanders.

We all like to think we're cowboys.

But few of us come close.

I plan on getting my concealed carry permit... at some point... and I haven't really looked into the requirements. But given the requirements to own guns, I don't imagine concealed carry being that high.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:02 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
Not in my classroom, either. If I found any of my students with CCW, I would refuse to teach, or have the student removed from class. Fortunately, Ohio bans CCW on public campuses, so I'm not too worried about it.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'd just make it "grass, grass, or grass."

Being that I'm married, I couldn't ask for a**! On the other hand, asking for gas or grass is reasonable.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Let him cancel, if he doesn't like the law he will be out of a job soon.
Tenure will keep the panty-wetting gun banner in Progressive Boulder employed. Remember, this is the same university where Ward Churchill was on the faculty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies