Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,345,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's not so. It happened once in NC, mistakenly, but that is not the standard or the norm.
You are talking about last year and this year the strings attached to the federal money will cause a lot more of that stuff. Way out here in Kansas the law has been laid down by the state and the local schools and the food just isn't the same as it was last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,256,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I know what that woman said and I also remember the little girl who had most of her sack lunch taken away from her last spring. I bet you heard about that kid too.

My wife talked to one of our teachers who had been in meetings and school started last week and what she said indicated that the federal money will dry up once they see too much supplementary sack lunch used. I guess maybe more people will learn what is actually going on as more kids get started to school this year. Your kids have started school by now, haven't they?
My son has started school, and he takes his lunch. He has taken his lunch almost everyday since he started pre-k, 5 years now. We look at the school menu for the week, and he decides if there are any days he wants to eat in the cafeteria.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Okay. If you say so.

Although I know differently. I have been to the school. I worked in the school. There are no rules that say you can not bring a packed lunch.
You keep using past tense concerning have been in the school and worked at the school. I am talking about this year's rules and know what the state has passed down to the locals about keeping that strings attached federal money flowing.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have entire schools in S Cal that meet requirements for free meals.
Too many people don't realize what it takes for kids to get free and reduced charge lunches. They just think that they can afford to feed their kids and don't understand what you say. It will take some time for schools to get running this year but people will learn.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,256,515 times
Quote:
You keep using past tense concerning have been in the school and worked at the school. I am talking about this year's rules and know what the state has passed down to the locals about keeping that strings attached federal money flowing.
I worked in the schools last year. I have been to the school several times THIS year. I pack my sons lunch THIS year.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,504,812 times
Quote:
You were saying that packed lunches weren't allowed. The menu is different, but nothing prohibits parents from packing lunch.
School's food is the only option for some kids - chicagotribune.com

Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Unfortunately, I think you need to read up on the USDA rules about school meals. Schools must OFFER the healthy meals to students, and provide free meals to students under 130% of the poverty line....but they are not required to only serve school meals and outlaw home-packed meals.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/ab...PFactSheet.pdf

As long as that's the only school meal offered, they meet the requirments. Nothing in there states that they can't allow children to bring their own lunch. Basically this only stops schools from selling Dominos Pizza on Fridays and things like that.
Okay, I read yours and now it is your turn to read what the USDA has put out about what can be fed.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governan...10-2012r2a.pdf

High sounding words about subjects like this one don't affect me when I have truths like what I gave you. When you think that every junior high kid needs only those scant amounts of food you are kidding yourself.

Give some thought to the fact that paying for the school lunch and paying for your brown bag meal will begin costing a pile before it is over. I have even read that in one school kids could have seconds up to the same proportions as on the first but they had to pay for the whole meal, unlike last year when they could have seconds after everybody had been served.

You do understand that the free meals too many kids get are the only cooked meals they get in a day? You must see that there are many more people who can't afford to feed their kids than most of us think.

I think you will begin to see more and more of the Michelle rules being enforced as time goes along. States just have become too used to federal money to back off.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
You were saying that packed lunches weren't allowed. The menu is different, but nothing prohibits parents from packing lunch.
Now, have you been to the school this year? You may find that the rules are a bit different this year than even last year.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,089,737 times
Quote:
Okay, I read yours and now it is your turn to read what the USDA has put out about what can be fed.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governan...10-2012r2a.pdf

High sounding words about subjects like this one don't affect me when I have truths like what I gave you. When you think that every junior high kid needs only those scant amounts of food you are kidding yourself.

Give some thought to the fact that paying for the school lunch and paying for your brown bag meal will begin costing a pile before it is over. I have even read that in one school kids could have seconds up to the same proportions as on the first but they had to pay for the whole meal, unlike last year when they could have seconds after everybody had been served.

You do understand that the free meals too many kids get are the only cooked meals they get in a day? You must see that there are many more people who can't afford to feed their kids than most of us think.

I think you will begin to see more and more of the Michelle rules being enforced as time goes along. States just have become too used to federal money to back off.
But no where in any of the USDA program documents does it state that children are NOT allowed to bring their own lunch. The USDA is only regulating what the schools can serve as part of their school lunch.

I like how your argument has changed though. At first you were saying that everyone will be forced to eat these school lunches and won't have any energy because of the lack of food. Now...you're arguing that the people that only can afford the school lunches will suffer.

I've also read numerous local papers that say that schools are still allowed to serve non-USDA food items, they just can't be "rung up" as a school lunch and will be charged ala carte. Snacks are still sold throughout the day in high schools as well.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,089,737 times
Quote:
Now, have you been to the school this year? You may find that the rules are a bit different this year than even last year.
And...I'm sorry to play the age card here...but going solely off your posts on this board...you are at youngest 77 years old. Have you been to a school this year? Have you seen any of these new "rules" first hand? Or are you getting all your information from those articles you posted?

I'm a conservative just like you...and I've agreed with you in plenty of other threads on these boards...but I just can't let this one go.

Age calculation: you said you taught for 28 years and stopped in 1986. Basing that on the fact that you retired in 86 (And the youngest you could have been at that time would have been 51 - starting teaching at 23) you would be 77 now. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies