Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Lied to by whom? IBO itself? I posted their own mission statement.

Use critical thinking, man.
read with comprehension, my friend, dont just read.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Finn,

With all due respect, it sounds to me like you attended a PRIVATE IB school in Europe, correct? Apples and oranges. My beef is with IB in American public schools.
No, it was not in Europe, nor in US, although later I went to a university in Europe. I am assuming the IB program is the same no matter where the classes are taken. I believe the original intent of the program was to create a school mainly for kids of diplomats and expats who move from country to country, so that the kids can continue the same program even if they moved from china to africa to Europe etc. Later it was made it available in US as well. When I was in IB, the local kids from the host country were not allowed in, it was strictly for expat kids.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:55 AM

89,143 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
read with comprehension, my friend, dont just read.
I did. I see politically correct BS all over that mission statement. It's dripping with a political agenda prioritized over academic rigor.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM

89,143 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it was not in Europe, nor in US, although later I went to a university in Europe. I am assuming the IB program is the same no matter where the classes are taken. I believe the original intent of the program was to create a school mainly for kids of diplomats and expats who move from country to country, so that the kids can continue the same program even if they moved from china to africa to Europe etc. Later it was made it available in US as well. When I was in IB, the local kids from the host country were not allowed in, it was strictly for expat kids.
The IB program offered in the U.S. specifically states that its mission is "to create a better world," NOT to offer students a world class competitive education.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I did. I see politically correct BS all over that mission statement. It's dripping with a political agenda prioritized over academic rigor.
Not true, but then again a partisan mind sees politics even when browsing Applebees's desert menu.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The IB program offered in the U.S. specifically states that its mission is "to create a better world,"
Noooooooo, you can't have that Anything but a better world. How dare they

Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,052,600 times
Quote:
The IB program offered in the U.S. specifically states that its mission is "to create a better world," NOT to offer students a world class competitive education.
Y'know.

One way to create a better world is through better education.

Just saiyan.

However, I know, I know.

It's easier to see political conspiracy in everything around you rather than taking things at face value.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,170,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
There is a huge amount of pressure on parents to put their kids into IB programs. I feel it is pretty much about the money. There is a huge amount of corruption within our education system. There is just too much money floating around and many education "professionals" are grabbing as much as they can get from the parents or taxpayers.

... all the while squealing "It's for the children!"

Old 08-25-2012, 10:52 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,170,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Y'know.

One way to create a better world is through better education.

Just saiyan.

However, I know, I know.

It's easier to see political conspiracy in everything around you rather than taking things at face value.
Here's the problem with IB's empty platitudes and false promises - the Eurocrats behind IB do not believe a "better world" allows for American "exceptionalism" or national sovereignty. IB gives lip service with a sneer to any mention of "national" cultures or patriotism. Everyone, including an inanimate planet, has rights, according to IB and those rights are defined by the UDHR which does not recognize our inalienable rights (recognized by our Declaration of Independence) from our Creator.

*grin*

Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,052,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Here's the problem with IB's empty platitudes and false promises
Everyone I knew who went through the IB program are better people because of it.

I see no "empty platitudes and false promises".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies