Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times

Advertisements

This war is lost ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:55 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Gun laws don't seem to have much of an effect on levels of urban violence in the US. There's little if any apparent correlation between laws and the murder rate, for example. We have cities in states with unrestrictive firearms laws which have extremely high murder rates, as well as some with much lower murder rates - sometimes in the same state. We also have examples of the opposite.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Right -- no one's covering them at all.

19 people wounded in Chicago shooting attacks overnight, including 13 within 30 minutes, police say - Crimesider - CBS News

Chicago Shootings: At Least 19 Wounded By Gun Violence Thursday, 13 Over 30 Minutes

19 people wounded in shootings across Chicago on Thursday and Friday* - NY Daily News

8 wounded in shooting on Chicago street - SFGate

AFP: Bloody Chicago night: 19 wounded in eight shootings

Chicago's violent year continues as city sees 13 shootings in 30 minutes | Mail Online

19 hurt in 7 overnight shootings in Chicago - U.S. News

BBC News - Nineteen shot in Chicago night of mayhem

Chicago's Violent Summer Continues: 19 People Shot Overnight - National - The Atlantic Wire

13 shot in 30 minutes in rising Chicago violence | Nation & World | The Seattle Times
But where were all these stories placed, as compared with the placement of the stories about the NY shooting? For example, earlier today I checked the Seattle Times site, as I do almost every day, and I didn't notice the story you list. No doubt it is there, but it's buried. I did notice a story about the NY shooting, prominently positioned on the home page.

And how many cycles will they keep talking about these two stories, how many op-eds, eds, cartoons, letters to the editor will reference them. Congrats on getting all those links, but just getting a bunch of links can be a misleading metric of coverage.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:52 PM

502 posts, read 717,839 times
Deadliest global city in the world.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
But where were all these stories placed, as compared with the placement of the stories about the NY shooting? For example, earlier today I checked the Seattle Times site, as I do almost every day, and I didn't notice the story you list. No doubt it is there, but it's buried. I did notice a story about the NY shooting, prominently positioned on the home page.
Thats because a shooting in Chicago isn't really news, it's just the day to day grind... or so it would seem.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:21 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Mexican drug cartels fight turf battles in Chicago

Mexican drug cartels fight turf battles in Chicago - CBS News

"Let's take the gloves off on that," he said. "We know that the majority of the drugs here in Chicago, cartels are responsible for. We know that the majority of the murders are gang related. So it is very clear to see the connection and the role."

As it stands now, at least three major Mexican cartels are battling over control of billions of dollars of marijuana, cocaine and -- increasingly -- heroin in this city. That includes the ultra-violent Zetas and the powerful Sinaloa cartel, run by its shadowy leader Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with you that the number is shocking. I lived in Detroit for a small amount of time and I have family who still live there. I visit Chicago regularly and my husband wants us to move there as he misses him hometown. FWIW, Chicago is a decent city. Most of the crime takes place in specific areas and other neighborhoods rarely see any sort of murders at all.

Even though I am bothered by the numbers, I can also admit that over the last 40 years crime in Chicago has improved. I feel more should be done to combat the violence all over this country, but the focus on this city in particular on these boards, this city and Detroit is pretty ridiculous IMO.

I currently live in Atlanta and we have about 200-300 murders a year usually.
Chicago has about 300-400 usually or a little more than 400 even though their population is MUCH greater than Atlanta so in that respect you would be more likely to be murdered in Atlanta, which has less than 1 million residents, than Chicago which has about 5 million residents.

Even many national crime statistics do not rate Chicago to be among the most dangerous cities in the country (Source)

11 most dangerous cities shown on the source above were

1. St. Louis
2. Atlanta
3. Birmingham (tie)
4. Orlando (tie)
5. Detroit
6. Memphis
7. Miami
8. Baltimore
9. Kansas City, MO
10. Minneapolis (tie)
11. Cleveland (tie)

BS...Atlanta's murder rate was down (again) in 2011 | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Atlanta murders….

87 murders in 2011
93 murders in 2010
80 murders in 2009

Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Chicago Shootings: Garry McCarthy Defends Police Strategies As Weekend Gun Violence Continues

Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Question:

Why do all the articles you read about shooting in Chicago say things like "x amount of people shot in Chicago this weekend" or "more shootings in Chicago this weekend" or like the one above my post "as weekend gun violence continues"...

What?? Do the gang bangers and thugs take the weekdays off or something? Perhaps in Chicago the thugs work cushy little office jobs during the week, and resume their gang-bangery during the weekends... LOL. Sorry for the dark humor, but when you can't laugh anymore, there is nothing left to live for.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Ahhhh Chicago, gotta love that shining progressive liberal stronghold..... obama must be proud.....

Quote:
While some 2,000 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, more than 5,000 people have been killed by gun fire in Chicago during that time, based on Department of Defense and FBI data.

Chicago's murder rate is also currently quadruple that of New York and double Los Angeles' rate. Gun violence Friday evening into Saturday took the lives of at least one person -- Antonio Buck, of the 5400 block of South Aberdeen -- and wounded at least seven others, including a 16-year-old boy shot in the lower back around 11 p.m. Friday.

Chicago Homicides Outnumber U.S. Troop Killings In Afghanistan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies