Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The mayor doesn't control those streets. He knows that. You've heard me mention many times before that if Chicago's black youth had joined the Occupy protest, there wouldn't have been mass beatings by the police. I'm sick and tired of the double standards and flat out bullsh*t that goes on in this country. Nancy Grace will jump from kidnapping, to kidnapping, but won't talk about anything of relevance when it comes to saving our inner cities and impoverished minority communities. We have billions for wars, but not millions to help clean up these communities and give the people there some dignity.
The bolded above is absolutely hilarious!!!! LOL!!!

It is funny to me because my husband, who is a native Chicagoan, discussed when the Occupy movement first started that there wouldn't be too many black people in it. That if some sort of violence takes place against the protesters that "they" (he always says "they" lol, it is a Chicago thing I think) will use it as an opportunity to beat down every black person in the crowd and then have an excuse of the criminally minded black person as a reason for that beat down and the Occupiers would then get mad at the blacks for starting all that ruckus and blame everything on black people.

Even though my husband is known in our family for having some far out ideas in regards to race relations (I also think this is a Chicago thing) I actually agree with him. Black people are routine harrassed and abused by police and we are commonly, even in this thread and every day on these boards, referred to as overtly criminal. Any sort of riot that takes place, that involves a black protestor will undoubtedly be blamed on the black people even if they didn't do anything. They will be trouble starters and police would not hesitate to put the beat down on a crowd of black people protesting. It has happened over and over again in the history of our country - blacks getting beat down at protests. Also police brutality is a major concern for many black people, myself included as I have been harrassed by police and have seen people beaten up by police for no reason at all. So for you to think that police wouldn't extremely hurt a black Occupier protest, you would be wrong. Also look at Oakland. There were black people in those Occupier protest and they had a lot of police backlash much more than most other Occupier groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I have delivered in some of those neighborhoods.. Some of them are alright, and some of them are frightening.. Every major city in america has some of the same. Chicagos just seems to be getting more and more violent.
Chicago is not geting more violent than other cities and their crime rates have fallen dramatically since the 70s and 80s when violent crime was out of control. I have a friend who is from Chicago, an old friend of my husband's whose father and brother were murdered in their business by robbers in the 70s and so are included in the horrible statistics for the city of that era where nearly 900 people were killed per year for a good stretch of 2-5 years. That number has been more than cut in half today.

Also I don't see why so many of you keep complaining that Chicago and Detroit need CCWs. You do realize that both of these cities have laws that do allow them to be legal gun owners right? I have said this before and another poster mentioned it before. Also there are many cities with violent crime and murder rates that are greater than that of Chicago in southern states that have very loose gun laws, yet you are not speaking of these cities. I guess they aren't "liberal" enough to complain about so you don't care about all the murders happening there.

Also wanted to note that the OP article is from June. It is no longer a "current event" for you to complain about. You should look up new murders that happened in Chicago in order to make your false claims that they are not being reported (even though you always seem to find out about them) and that they occur because people don't have CCWs even though people do have them there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bolded above is absolutely hilarious!!!! LOL!!!

It is funny to me because my husband, who is a native Chicagoan, discussed when the Occupy movement first started that there wouldn't be too many black people in it. That if some sort of violence takes place against the protesters that "they" (he always says "they" lol, it is a Chicago thing I think) will use it as an opportunity to beat down every black person in the crowd and then have an excuse of the criminally minded black person as a reason for that beat down and the Occupiers would then get mad at the blacks for starting all that ruckus and blame everything on black people.

Even though my husband is known in our family for having some far out ideas in regards to race relations (I also think this is a Chicago thing) I actually agree with him. Black people are routine harrassed and abused by police and we are commonly, even in this thread and every day on these boards, referred to as overtly criminal. Any sort of riot that takes place, that involves a black protestor will undoubtedly be blamed on the black people even if they didn't do anything. They will be trouble starters and police would not hesitate to put the beat down on a crowd of black people protesting. It has happened over and over again in the history of our country - blacks getting beat down at protests. Also police brutality is a major concern for many black people, myself included as I have been harrassed by police and have seen people beaten up by police for no reason at all. So for you to think that police wouldn't extremely hurt a black Occupier protest, you would be wrong. Also look at Oakland. There were black people in those Occupier protest and they had a lot of police backlash much more than most other Occupier groups.

Chicago is not geting more violent than other cities and their crime rates have fallen dramatically since the 70s and 80s when violent crime was out of control. I have a friend who is from Chicago, an old friend of my husband's whose father and brother were murdered in their business by robbers in the 70s and so are included in the horrible statistics for the city of that era where nearly 900 people were killed per year for a good stretch of 2-5 years. That number has been more than cut in half today.

Also I don't see why so many of you keep complaining that Chicago and Detroit need CCWs. You do realize that both of these cities have laws that do allow them to be legal gun owners right? I have said this before and another poster mentioned it before. Also there are many cities with violent crime and murder rates that are greater than that of Chicago in southern states that have very loose gun laws, yet you are not speaking of these cities. I guess they aren't "liberal" enough to complain about so you don't care about all the murders happening there.

Also wanted to note that the OP article is from June. It is no longer a "current event" for you to complain about. You should look up new murders that happened in Chicago in order to make your false claims that they are not being reported (even though you always seem to find out about them) and that they occur because people don't have CCWs even though people do have them there.....
Perhaps it's because I am from a city where the crime rate is substantially lower that I see 450 murders a year as outrageous. Maybe that is the new norm for the Chicago area. I know what I see when I deliver there, and there are some neighborhoods that all I want is out!!! Chicago and Detroit aren't the only cities with problems, but their numbers in my mind are substantial.... If we have 24 murders a year where I'm from, it's outrageous, and I don't live in a small community....

Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,656 times
Quote:
Perhaps it's because I am from a city where the crime rate is substantially lower that I see 450 murders a year as outrageous. Maybe that is the new norm for the Chicago area. I know what I see when I deliver there, and there are some neighborhoods that all I want is out!!! Chicago and Detroit aren't the only cities with problems, but their numbers in my mind are substantial.... If we have 24 murders a year where I'm from, it's outrageous, and I don't live in a small community....
People don't understand what an outlier is.

Where do you live then?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
This isn't the Wild West, people don't go walking around having showdowns.
Really? Maybe they should. Judging by the amount of people who get shot, you could have fooled me.

Quote:
You also probably haven't been there, what a surprise!
You are correct, nor do I have any desire to visit the "murder capital of the world" Judging by how bad it sounds, might be best to just build a fence around the place and let the gang bangers have at it.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
People don't understand what an outlier is.

Where do you live then?
El Paso, Tx... About 850,000 population.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:

I agree with you that the number is shocking. I lived in Detroit for a small amount of time and I have family who still live there. I visit Chicago regularly and my husband wants us to move there as he misses him hometown. FWIW, Chicago is a decent city. Most of the crime takes place in specific areas and other neighborhoods rarely see any sort of murders at all.

Even though I am bothered by the numbers, I can also admit that over the last 40 years crime in Chicago has improved. I feel more should be done to combat the violence all over this country, but the focus on this city in particular on these boards, this city and Detroit is pretty ridiculous IMO.

I currently live in Atlanta and we have about 200-300 murders a year usually. Chicago has about 300-400 usually or a little more than 400 even though their population is MUCH greater than Atlanta so in that respect you would be more likely to be murdered in Atlanta, which has less than 1 million residents, than Chicago which has about 5 million residents.

Even many national crime statistics do not rate Chicago to be among the most dangerous cities in the country (Source)

11 most dangerous cities shown on the source above were

1. St. Louis
2. Atlanta
3. Birmingham (tie)
4. Orlando (tie)
5. Detroit
6. Memphis
7. Miami
8. Baltimore
9. Kansas City, MO
10. Minneapolis (tie)
11. Cleveland (tie)

Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with you that the number is shocking. I lived in Detroit for a small amount of time and I have family who still live there. I visit Chicago regularly and my husband wants us to move there as he misses him hometown. FWIW, Chicago is a decent city. Most of the crime takes place in specific areas and other neighborhoods rarely see any sort of murders at all.

Even though I am bothered by the numbers, I can also admit that over the last 40 years crime in Chicago has improved. I feel more should be done to combat the violence all over this country, but the focus on this city in particular on these boards, this city and Detroit is pretty ridiculous IMO.

I currently live in Atlanta and we have about 200-300 murders a year usually. Chicago has about 300-400 usually or a little more than 400 even though their population is MUCH greater than Atlanta so in that respect you would be more likely to be murdered in Atlanta, which has less than 1 million residents, than Chicago which has about 5 million residents.

Even many national crime statistics do not rate Chicago to be among the most dangerous cities in the country (Source)

11 most dangerous cities shown on the source above were

1. St. Louis
2. Atlanta
3. Birmingham (tie)
4. Orlando (tie)
5. Detroit
6. Memphis
7. Miami
8. Baltimore
9. Kansas City, MO
10. Minneapolis (tie)
11. Cleveland (tie)
I have been in the same types of neighborhoods in every city on this list and they don't change much from one city to the other... They all are very similar in nature.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Really? Maybe they should. Judging by the amount of people who get shot, you could have fooled me.

You are correct, nor do I have any desire to visit the "murder capital of the world" Judging by how bad it sounds, might be best to just build a fence around the place and let the gang bangers have at it.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. You must be really sheltered to make such ignorant comments. Maybe if you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't sound so pathetically lost. To keep from looking even more foolish it's best that you just stop.

Quote:
El Paso, Tx... About 850,000 population.
Yeah, El Paso is surprisingly low for being across the border from Juarez.

What people don't understand about Chicago is that the crime happens mainly in a few small areas. There may be a few areas that you don't want to go to but the vast majority of the city is fine. Chicago's crime rate had been dropping fast. It is not completely known why there is this jump in crime this year, but part of it would have to be the mild Winter.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. You must be really sheltered to make such ignorant comments. Maybe if you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't sound so pathetically lost. To keep from looking even more foolish it's best that you just stop.

Yeah, El Paso is surprisingly low for being across the border from Juarez.

What people don't understand about Chicago is that the crime happens mainly in a few small areas. There may be a few areas that you don't want to go to but the vast majority of the city is fine. Chicago's crime rate had been dropping fast. It is not completely known why there is this jump in crime this year, but part of it would have to be the mild Winter.
That doesn't change from one city to the next. Each one has a certain area that you just don't go into after the sun sets. Chicago has some really nice low crime areas, in fact the majority of the city is. Even my home has some areas that you are well advised to stay away from after dark.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
That doesn't change from one city to the next. Each one has a certain area that you just don't go into after the sun sets. Chicago has some really nice low crime areas, in fact the majority of the city is. Even my home has some areas that you are well advised to stay away from after dark.
Of course, but you would think that by the way some people post that Chicago is dangerous no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies