Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 02:32 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Wrong.

They singled out this business because they were the ones who discriminated them. That would be the "standing" part of a lawsuit.

standing legal definition of standing. standing synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

And once again, this couple didn't try to change anyone's beliefs, they simply enforced their right to not be discriminated against.
Wrong, they knew exactly what they were doing and it's BS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
these people singled out this business because they knew they didn't host Homosexual wedding parties
Which is illegal on the owner's part.

Quote:
and forced the issue when they could simply have went somewhere else and respect the owners beliefs
Do you respect people breaking the law?

Quote:
cost them their right to their belief. Now who is pushing beliefs on others?.
Nobody has the right to break the law.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Wrong, they knew exactly what they were doing and it's BS
Really? And how do you know that? I'm assuming you don't know this couple personally, so it would be a pretty big stretch to think you know their innermost thoughts, and as a result I'm sure you have some tangible evidence for believing that their motivation was to change beliefs.

Right?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Again, the "punishment" was a mutual, out of court settlement. Where did you see that they acted in good faith? I just went back and read the link in the OP and saw nothing.

And I don't think the hyperbole was over the top at all. Both instances are examples of blaming the victim rather than those breaking the law.
In the settlement agreement, the parties stipulated that the owners relied in good faith on a 2005 decision by the Vermont Human Rights Commission involving the Inn.

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/Wildfl...Settlement.pdf

IMO, VHRC policy changed after 2005. Though ignorance of the law is not generally an excuse, a $30 k fine is vindictive when a business owner has relied upon a prior ruling between it and the enforcement agency.

BTW, the Commission's executive director and legal counsel is also on the Vermont ACLU's Board of Directors. The ACLU filed the complaint. Conflict of interest anyone.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Which is illegal on the owner's part.

Do you respect people breaking the law?

Nobody has the right to break the law.

I have no issues with gay people being allowed to mary. The government needs to stay the Hell out of marriage, and out of the bedrooms of consenting adults. It is between those 2, and our Creator, and therefore it is not up to me to judge. Having said that, if it's that business owner's belief, then so be it. I mean, come on what are we the thought police here? Is this where political correctness has gone where peoples thoughts are not even their own? My thought is, go elsewhere! I certainly wouldn't patronize a business that doesn't want me! But I'm not going to sue them over it either! Let the market dictate. There is no need for all of these lawsuits. Chances are if he sees his business suffer, then he'll change his policy.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I mean, come on what are we the thought police here? Is this where political correctness has gone where peoples thoughts are not even their own?
You see, here's where you people are totally confused.

Nobody gets sued for their thoughts or beliefs. The settlement that the owners of the inn agreed to does not require them to modify their beliefs in any way.

What the law regulates is action, and in this case what it prohibits is discriminatory action. The inn has now agreed not to discriminate, or in other words, to follow the law. How is that not a good thing?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
In the settlement agreement, the parties stipulated that the owners relied in good faith on a 2005 decision by the Vermont Human Rights Commission involving the Inn.

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/Wildfl...Settlement.pdf

IMO, VHRC policy changed after 2005. Though ignorance of the law is not generally an excuse, a $30 k fine is vindictive when a business owner has relied upon a prior ruling between it and the enforcement agency.

BTW, the Commission's executive director and legal counsel is also on the Vermont ACLU's Board of Directors. The ACLU filed the complaint. Conflict of interest anyone.
Thanks for the link. I'm on an iPhone now so I don't really want to go through a PDF file, but I will take your word for it until then.

Calling this a "fine" is incorrect. The judge or other body would have to issue a fine. This was an out of court settlement agreed to by both parties. That's basically splitting hairs though.

I think it's a stretch to claim conflict of interest here, especially considering that both of the positions he held were openly disclosed.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But when those same people try to argue their side, a Catholic right-wing blog is somehow fair & objective evidence? This reference librarian is not impressed, LOL.
You have NO idea how much I hate it when people use blogs to support their argument. Or think a blog is fair and objective evidence of what they're arguing. Or refer people to a biased site to support their biased argument.

Or maybe you do.

It's right up there with revisionist history on "Things I Hate On The Internet".

Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
God did not intend for gays to have children, as their orientation shows us.

therefore they should not be allowed to adopt.
God did not intend for my wife and I to have children, so therefore we shouldn't have been allowed to adopt our daughter? Are you actually serious? If the ability to have biological children is the basis for parenthood, I have some disappointing news.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Here's the latest from the "normalizing homosexuality" files: Catholic innkeepers in Vermont are fined $30,000 and lose their wedding business for refusing to pretend that two women can marry each other.

"A Vermont resort that was sued last year for refusing to host a lesbian couple’s wedding reception and violating Vermont’s Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Act finalized an agreement to resolve the lawsuit today. As part of the settlement, the resort will pay $10,000 to the Vermont Human Rights Commission as a civil penalty and will place $20,000 in a charitable trust to be disbursed by the couple.

... As part of the settlement, the Wildflower Inn agreed to no longer host wedding receptions."

Good. They deserve to lose the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies