Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:59 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times

Advertisements

The following was posted in another thread(now closed) as an argument as to why President Obama is not required to make his college transcripts public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
A job can't request my transcripts. Only I can and then to do so I have to sign a release to the school for each individual transcript I order. If I use them to apply for a job, the employer is no more free to make that information public than the university.
The problem with that reasoning is that being POTUS is quite unlike any other job. When a president is elected - that person is hired to do a job - and the hiring personnel are you and I.

It is true that only an individual can release their own transcripts - but an employer can require them as a hiring precondition. As the people who make the hiring decision - we as voters can request that a candidate release their records if they wish to get our vote.

Also - since he voters are the public - as well as those who hire the president - releasing the transcripts to the public would not be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
I consider transcripts, tax returns, and health records to be private information. I'm a lot more interested in their political philosophies and current positions on the issues.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The following was posted in another thread(now closed) as an argument as to why President Obama is not required to make his college transcripts public.

The problem with that reasoning is that being POTUS is quite unlike any other job. When a president is elected - that person is hired to do a job - and the hiring personnel are you and I.

It is true that only an individual can release their own transcripts - but an employer can require them as a hiring precondition. As the people who make the hiring decision - we as voters can request that a candidate release their records if they wish to get our vote.

Also - since he voters are the public - as well as those who hire the president - releasing the transcripts to the public would not be an issue.
Hate to burst your bubble but I have never been, and I do not know anyone that has, asked for their college transcripts, all I have even been asked for where I got my degree, they can check whether or not it is real and that is all they need. Never been asked what my GPA was either, guess they don;t really care what I did 30 years ago but are very interested in what I have done lately.

Now if you are going to be someone that can raise taxes on ALL Americans I would say releasing your own tax records, as is custom, would be something that would be of great interest to all voters.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:12 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
The Constitution specifically creates the qualifications for being eligible to be President of the United States. College transcripts is not one of the qualifications. Nor are income tax records.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but I have never been, and I do not know anyone that has, asked for their college transcripts, all I have even been asked for where I got my degree, they can check whether or not it is real and that is all they need. Never been asked what my GPA was either, guess they don;t really care what I did 30 years ago but are very interested in what I have done lately.

Now if you are going to be someone that can raise taxes on ALL Americans I would say releasing your own tax records, as is custom, would be something that would be of great interest to all voters.
I've been asked for my transcripts.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The Constitution specifically creates the qualifications for being eligible to be President of the United States. College transcripts is not one of the qualifications. Nor are income tax records.
True - but voters can express their wishes as to what they would like to see - and there is nothing unconstitutional about such a request.

If a candidate refuses to follow through - they only run the risk of not being elected.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
True - but voters can express their wishes as to what they would like to see - and there is nothing unconstitutional about such a request.

If a candidate refuses to follow through - they only run the risk of not being elected.
Okay, then Romney is at great risk since polls have shown over 60% of Americans want to see more of his tax returns.

Can't wait for your response.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 PM

What is the president hiding?

Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
I've been asked for my transcripts.
By whom? I have worked for most of the major Telecom and Defense Manufacturers and not one has ever asked for my transcripts, heck even getting my Top Secret Clearance required me to provide them.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times
Quote:

I hate to break this to you but you are living a fantasy.
The President does not serve the people; he serves the elite class and world banking interests who control the White House along with the rest of government.
In reality, there is no accountability to the people by government; because the people are simply peasants who are deceived into thinking they have some say in their lives.
Do you really think your vote matters? Do you also believe in the tooth fairy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies