Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
A handgun? Really? Good God, the more I read about people in that state, the less I want to go there.
Thank you for staying away. No need to add people to the state who don't want to defend their property rights.
Nothing to see here, fall in line and do what the powers that be tell you to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
A handgun? Really? Good God, the more I read about people in that state, the less I want to go there.
Right. Because I am sure you are super educated about the state of Texas.
So educated in general, in fact, that you think sensationalist dramatic ratings-driven journalism gives you a clear and unbiased view of many things... Let me take a wild guess at your political affiliation (trusts media, trusts government...hmmmm).

No smart meters, thanks. Not interested.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
The article did say that 87 percent of smart meters have been installed so far in Texas (me included). Hardly a state uprising.

The person with the gun? Yes, she has the right to protect her property. Yet, I don't see where her property was at risk of confiscation or such. I guess she would be most pleased if the electric company pulled her meter completely, and she would never have to worry about a meter reader coming on her property.

It just seems strange to me what some people like to protest about. Bulls looking for a China shop.

I will note that our weekend cabin still has the old meter. I wish they would install the smart meter, since on the days the meter reader is due we have to keep our dogs inside the house, and my wife and I must be more circumspect on how we dress for swimming.

I have noticed, by the by, that our electric bill for the smart-meter house has gone down. I guess the old meter was not very accurate.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Good for Texas. This is Step 1 of the government telling to when you can run your dishwasher or turn on your washing machine.
The primary reason the power distribution companies want these is so they can charge you different rates at different times of the day. What they are paying for power fluctuates throughout the day and they want to be able to do the same for their customers.

By charging more at peak demand this should lower demand during peak, e.g. the consumer will wait until the costs are lower to run their dishwasher for example. The demand gets spread more evenly, they need less generation and those generators left are running more efficiently.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The primary reason the power distribution companies want these is so they can charge you different rates at different times of the day. What they are paying for power fluctuates throughout the day and they want to be able to do the same for their customers.

By charging more at peak demand this should lower demand during peak, e.g. the consumer will wait until the costs are lower to run their dishwasher for example. The demand gets spread more evenly, they need less generation and those generators left are running more efficiently.
If government didnt always suffer from mission creep, youd have a point.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
I find it distrubing to say the least when people try to portray an entire state of tens of millions by the actions of a few.

And then we find out they've installed huge numbers of them.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:03 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Yes, we had a thread on that at least a month ago.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
Quote:
Texans are probably really broken up about not having another leftie inside the borders.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 AM

24,000 posts, read 15,096,054 times
My subdivision in Houston has had smart meters for 2 years. No one has suffered a problem. Electricity in Texas is unregulated. Individuals purchase electricity from a number of sellers who buy from producers and then resell and do the billing.

We don't need any coal in Texas. There is plenty of natural gas to produce to the demand. Last year, there was a distribution problem and the producers purchased electricity from Mexico.

If the producers want to charge me less for doing the dishes and laundry in non peak hours, it's OK by me.

Anybody in Texas with a problem can contact the PUC. The members are appointed by the governor. We have had a Republican governor since W defeated Ann Richardson.

The lady with the gun had a right get the man off of her property with a weapon. I've done it, myself. It will be interesting to see if the deregulated companies have to provided her with electricity.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
She wanted someone off of property she owned. You remember our nation is founded on property rights don't you? People who dont know that strike me as uninformed.
Unless they're trying to break in and harm you, you call the police and say there's someone on your property and have them hauled away. Chasing someone with a gun is unnessesary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Texans are probably really broken up about not having another leftie inside the borders.
Well, it's a good thing I don't give a damn, then, isn't it? I frankly don't want to live around a bunch of fundamentalist cowboys anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies