Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times

Advertisements

and making matters much, much worse.

Administration missteps hamper Mideast efforts

Quote:
President Obama came into office insisting that his administration would press hard and fast to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. But after nine months, analysts and diplomats say, the administration's efforts have faltered in part because of its own missteps.

Daniel Levy, a veteran Israeli peace negotiator now at the Century Foundation in Washington, summed up the administration's efforts in recent days as "amateur night at the Apollo Theater." He said the administration did not game out the consequences of its demands on the parties -- and then flinched. "They just dug deeper and deeper their own grave," he said. "All of this talk of negotiations doesn't cut the mustard in the region."
Smart power indeed. They must be laughing their a**es off at this bumbling, naive fool of a president. They can join Russia, China, NK and Iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:41 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
If I recall correctly, many pre-election observers called Obama's "sit down and let's chat about this" policy toward foreign governments as naive and indicative of his lack of experience. I know that John McCain thought as much. I recall him smirking everytime Obama mentioned it.

I've yet to see anything that would prove that those observers were wrong in their assessment.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:44 PM

Count me as one of those. Many millions were bamboozled by his flowery rhetoric.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:12 PM

Forgot the link in the OP.

washingtonpost.com

Old 11-05-2009, 05:37 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If I recall correctly, many pre-election observers called Obama's "sit down and let's chat about this" policy toward foreign governments as naive and indicative of his lack of experience. I know that John McCain thought as much. I recall him smirking everytime Obama mentioned it.

I've yet to see anything that would prove that those observers were wrong in their assessment.
During the election we had many threads that involved this concern. The foreign policy issue was of primary concern to me, and I thought that Obama hadn't shown an ability to make the tough decisions needed in dealing with foreign countries.

So far, I'm still concerned in this area. His inconsistent positions on the issues are sending mixed signals.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,332,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
During the election we had many threads that involved this concern. The foreign policy issue was of primary concern to me, and I thought that Obama hadn't shown an ability to make the tough decisions needed in dealing with foreign countries.

So far, I'm still concerned in this area. His inconsistent positions on the issues are sending mixed signals.
Yes. He's completely screwed up chances of a resumption of Israel-Palestinian negotiations.
And I'm afraid his approach to the Iranian regime may lead to disaster. They're defying him. They're blowing smoke right down his nostrils. He has no reaction. Nothing. Even the French are calling him an appeaser.
It's an extremely dangerous situation. He's the wrong president for these times.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Yes. He's completely screwed up chances of a resumption of Israel-Palestinian negotiations.
And I'm afraid his approach to the Iranian regime may lead to disaster. They're defying him. They're blowing smoke right down his nostrils. He has no reaction. Nothing. Even the French are calling him an appeaser.
It's an extremely dangerous situation. He's the wrong president for these times.
LOL when the French refer to a foreign leader as an appeaser, you know something is terribly screwed up.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL when the French refer to a foreign leader as an appeaser, you know something is terribly screwed up.

When Americans give a rat's ass what the French think about American foreign policy something is horrifically screwed up

Old 11-05-2009, 08:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Bascailly there is nothing that can make the raqdical muslims change there ways. they have been that way since before WWII.They cheered hitler ;so what is new.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Not to go off topic, but just take a look at the position of the US in Honduras. A 180 flip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies