Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times

Advertisements

Paul Ryan's mentor Ayn Rand believed Selfishness was a virtue. I don't believe she had any children, but I wonder what she would have told her children in elementary school about sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
It's down right scary that so many people like Paul Ryan believe in the philosophy of Ayn Rand. That's not the America I grew up in or want to live in. Ryan makes all his staff member read a copy of her book. But while Ryan worships her drumbeat of 'Selfishness is a Virtue' he seems to gloss over the fact that she didn't believe in God. That fact alone ought to put her whole philosophy at odds with Ryan's Catholic up bring. I don't see how he can claim to be such a good Christian and a disciple of Ayn Rand's at the same time.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 08-29-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's down right scary that so many people like Paul Ryan believe in the philosophy of Ayn Rand. That's not the America I grew up in or want to live in. Ryan makes all his staff member read a copy of her book. But while Ryan worships her drumbeat of 'Selfishness is a Virtue' he seems to gloss over the fact that she didn't believe in God. That fact alone ought to put her whole philosophy at odds with Catholic up bring. I don't see how he can claim to be such a good Christian and a disciple of Ayn Rand's at the same time.
Catholicism and Ayn Rand's philosophy can't be reconciled. They are completely incompatible. You can't believe in Rand's objectivism philosophy or believe selfishness is a virtue and be a Christian.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Rand essentially plagiarized Adam Smith and exchanged his concept of "self-interest" for "selfishness." Most people interested in economics become interested in Ayn Rand at one point or another but grow out of Rand's objectivism because of its inherent limitations.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM

102 posts, read 96,590 times
Ayn Rand's argument is that there is no such thing as a selfless act, not that I agree with Paul Ryan or even remotely familiar with him. But I think people should be cautious about demonizing her based on a politician endorsing her philosophy. "Truth" be told all politicians follow an Aristotelian philosophy regardless of what they claim.

Lets discuss the Greek tradition of the "State" in America. I'm also open to learning a bit about this paul ryan character as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Rand essentially plagiarized Adam Smith and exchanged his concept of "self-interest" for "selfishness." Most people interested in economics become interested in Ayn Rand at one point or another but grow out of Rand's objectivism because of its inherent limitations.
You just voiced something that has bothered me about Paul Ryan. When he talks about Ayn Rand he sounds like a starry-eyed college student who hasn't grown up enough to see the real-life applications of Rand and how it doesn't lead to a good place.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
And what did Ayn Rand accomplish? People never have an out of body experience and thus always commit acts of their own will? Never mind that its indistinguishable since most humans possess a piece of the human estate and are bred to suffer when considering its extinction. All humans have a family resemblance to oneself compared to annihilation. That is why we fear doomsday more than our own deaths which are in fact our own personal doomsday. So why do we fear one more than the other? Which one that is ultimately self doesn't matter. We do choose between the two.

All she did was redefine our existence under an umbrella of cynicism. Why not have an umbrella of optimistic lunacy and suggest that lions have compassion for the grass against the attacking Zebra?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM

876 posts, read 709,254 times
Quote:
It's down right scary that so many people like Paul Ryan believe in the philosophy of Ayn Rand. That's not the America I grew up in or want to live in. Ryan makes all his staff member read a copy of her book. But while Ryan worships her drumbeat of 'Selfishness is a Virtue' he seems to gloss over the fact that she didn't believe in God. That fact alone ought to put her whole philosophy at odds with Ryan's Catholic up bring. I don't see how he can claim to be such a good Christian and a disciple of Ayn Rand's at the same time.

So, now a Conservative is bad because they listen to other types of people's perspectives. I thought libs thought all conservatives were narrow minded Jesus freaks? Damned if they do and damned if they don't, right guys.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
You just voiced something that has bothered me about Paul Ryan. When he talks about Ayn Rand he sounds like a starry-eyed college student who hasn't grown up enough to see the real-life applications of Rand and how it doesn't lead to a good place.
That was the impression I got watching the speech last night.

And no, you cannot subscribe to Ayn Rand's teachings and be a decent follower of Jesus. The two are complete opposites.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Never read much Rand. My main classical liberal nfluences are Friedman, Hayek, the Founding Fathers, a bit of Mill and Mises.

The bit I did read has led me to the same conclusion helenejen came to, just a slight twist on Adam Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies