Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The same sex marriage factor?
I lean conservative, but am voting for Obama to support same sex marriage 1 2.78%
I lean liberal, but am voting for Romney to defend traditional marriage 1 2.78%
I would vote for my candidate regardless of their position on same sex marriage 34 94.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
God made gays to keep the world's population in check like he does with natural disasters.

If gays were meant to marry they were meant to reproduce too, which obviously they don't, thank God.
Patently stupid argument. Again, kids are not a requirement for marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
From knocking on doors and working for my candidates, the only "one issue" voters I've found are those who vote based solely on the abortion issue.
It has been this way in the past, but I have not seen these people as out and in force as they have been in prior elections. Republicans seem to be trying to keep the focus on the economy and Obama's record which is what they should do. I have seen far more one-issue voters on gay marriage this year especially since Obama came out in support of it. Issues such as the Chick Fila thing has kept the issue at the forefront and has energized Obama supporters.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
The only time I EVER think about same sex marriage is when I read these silly threads.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I'm voting for obama because if mitt romney couldn't capture the nomination vs john mccain what does that tell you about his abilities?
No, not really. Because in 2008, McCain was much more well known than Romney.

Remember, Reagan did not win the nomination in 1976, but did in 1980 and won two terms as president.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM

354 posts, read 855,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
But, he's not going to do anything about it. He has said nothing about changing anything in that area. All he did was change his mind and said it was ok with him. Maybe he will flip again after he is elected. Sad to see that his pandering just to get votes has worked on you.
Hi Seahawk girl, I understand that. But there was so much fear and condemnation expressed during the GOP primary against gays that Obama supporting Gay Marriage was like a breath of fresh air. I can't vote for a party that nearly voted Rick Santorum as their nominee.

Republicans made a huge mistake by keeping so much of the primary focused on social issues. I feel like a Romney win would be seen by many homophobes as validation of their opinions. I also understand that this is not fair because Romney wasn't part of all the gay bashing that happened during the primary.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:10 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Hi Seahawk girl, I understand that. But there was so much fear and condemnation expressed during the GOP primary against gays that Obama supporting Gay Marriage was like a breath of fresh air. I can't vote for a party that nearly voted Rick Santorum as their nominee.

Republicans made a huge mistake by keeping so much of the primary focused on social issues. I feel like a Romney win would be seen by many homophobes as validation of their opinions. I also understand that this is not fair because Romney wasn't part of all the gay bashing that happened during the primary.
The gay bashing during the primary was solely because of Rick Santorum. He was going after the Huckabee vote though Huckabee presented it in a far more likable package than Santorum did. Santorum never had a chance at winning the nomination, not in 2012 when for the first time in a long time the conservative platform is focusing on jobs and the economy rather than social issues.

Should you blame Obama because of groups extremist groups like this that support him?

EarthFirst Mourning Loss of a Tree - Crying & Screaming - YouTube

Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
None of the above.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
How many people here are going to vote for Obama or for Romney because of their views on marriage, but would otherwise vote for the other candidate? For instance, if you are overall conservative but strongly support same-sex marriage and are voting for Obama based on that issue. On the flip side, if you are liberal on economic issues but are strongly against same-sex marriage and are voting for Romney because of that.
Its not a defining issue for me, but I take it into the overall picture of the candidate.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
I am pro-gay marriage and am voting for Romney...

I am pretty solidly conservative on economic issues. On social issues, I'm all over the place - liberal on some, moderate on some, conservative on some. I agree with Obama on some social issues, Romney on some social issues, and have stances in between theirs on some. I agree with Romney a lot more than Obama on economic issues. If anything, I wish Romney was further to the right on economic issues, but my views certainly are closer to his than to Obama's.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
How many people here are going to vote for Obama or for Romney because of their views on marriage, but would otherwise vote for the other candidate? For instance, if you are overall conservative but strongly support same-sex marriage and are voting for Obama based on that issue. On the flip side, if you are liberal on economic issues but are strongly against same-sex marriage and are voting for Romney because of that.
I would not vote for a candidate based on one issue, regardless of what it was..I am supporting Romney, I am a conservative (on most issues as you know) and I am on the fence when it comes to same sex marriage. What I feel is: legal unions are a must, I don't care whether we are talking heter or homo sexual. As for the actually ceremony, let individual churches and clergy decide how they feel about preforming ceremonies.

BTW,I saw your posting stating a lot of young conservatives are voting for Obama because of this issue: I would be willing to bet not 1% of the young people are voting for him because of this. First, most young people know he has swayed back and forth on the issue and they are tired of his constant pandering and second, even the younger generation, the ones that will actually get out and vote know the number 1 issue is the economy. They will put social issues way down the list.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 08-31-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies