Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,851,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I posted what Reverend Wright said.. take it up with him.
You certainly did not post anything to support the statement I replied to. Rev. Wright does not believe in black supremacy. The only part of "white society" that Rev. Wright is interested in destroying is the concept and attitude of white supremacy. Nowhere has Rev. Wright promoted African-Americans ruling over European-Americans they way whites have ruled over blacks.

Rev. Wright at the NPC in 2008.

The prophetic theology of the black church has always seen and still sees all of God's children as sisters and brothers, equals who need reconciliation, who need to be reconciled as equals in order for us to walk together into the future which God has prepared for us.

Reconciliation does not mean that blacks become whites or whites become blacks and Hispanics become Asian or that Asians become Europeans.

Reconciliation means we embrace our individual rich histories, all of them. We retain who we are as persons of different cultures, while acknowledging that those of other cultures are not superior or inferior to us. They are just different from us.

We root out any teaching of superiority, inferiority, hatred, or prejudice.

And we recognize for the first time in modern history in the West that the other who stands before us with a different color of skin, a different texture of hair, different music, different preaching styles, and different dance moves, that other is one of God's children just as we are, no better, no worse, prone to error and in need of forgiveness, just as we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 AM

Do you understand that he is talking about white supremacist attitudes and not white people in general?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Rev. Wright at the NPC in 2008.

The prophetic theology of the black church has always seen and still sees all of God's children as sisters and brothers, equals who need reconciliation, who need to be reconciled as equals in order for us to walk together into the future which God has prepared for us.

Reconciliation does not mean that blacks become whites or whites become blacks and Hispanics become Asian or that Asians become Europeans.

Reconciliation means we embrace our individual rich histories, all of them. We retain who we are as persons of different cultures, while acknowledging that those of other cultures are not superior or inferior to us. They are just different from us.

We root out any teaching of superiority, inferiority, hatred, or prejudice.

And we recognize for the first time in modern history in the West that the other who stands before us with a different color of skin, a different texture of hair, different music, different preaching styles, and different dance moves, that other is one of God's children just as we are, no better, no worse, prone to error and in need of forgiveness, just as we are.

I hate colored fonts. Call me a fontist but I hate colored fonts.

Anyway, the above quotation needs to be properly restated without the color fonts.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I hate colored fonts. Call me a fontist but I hate colored fonts.

Anyway, the above quotation needs to be properly restated without the color fonts.
With apologies on the use of colored fonts, but it is the only way I can see for quoted material to survive someone else quoting a post and keep the distinction that it was a quote.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,690,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
so what's your point?
Everything that just looks bad from Obama's life story is just a haphazard coincidence, "he's just a guy who lives in my neighborhood, George."

Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times
Yes, it certainly does look like 90% of his congregation is white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
No you dolt.
That seems like a rude personal attack, and all because your opinion differs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Everything that just looks bad from Obama's life story is just a haphazard coincidence, "he's just a guy who lives in my neighborhood, George."
Indeed, just a coincidence. I like the way you put it.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yes, it certainly does look like 90% of his congregation is white.
The video isn't from Trinity UCC where Rev. Wright was the Senior Minister.

Trinity is a member of the UCC.

http://www.pewforum.org/newassets/ne...rs/20mar08.htm

The Pew Forum's U.S. Religious Landscape Survey offers demographic information on members of the United Church of Christ (UCC). Key findings include:

• The UCC is classified as a mainline Protestant denomination in the Congregationalist family whose members make up 0.5% of the U.S. adult population.
  • While Obama's congregation in Chicago is predominantly black, the UCC denomination overall is 91% white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies