Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,176,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

It's a really cool map that you ought to check out

That link doesn't seem to be working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM

377 posts, read 644,959 times
The OP is right. New Hyde Park has been changing for years. I certainly do not mind diversity, as I have friends and family members of all races, so the change isn't bad- it just is what it is- NHP has had an increase in Indians and other Asian groups going on since at least the early '90s. It is still a solid town with great schools, so that is one thing that has not changed. In fact, I have quite a few Indian friends (professionals, by the way) who have moved out of Hicksville to live in NHP. Why? Because they value education and wanted Herricks SD for their kids. Others have moved to Jericho for the same reason. I understand not wanting to be the only whites on the block, if that is the way you feel. You should be free to live where you are comfortable. However it is not like the town has gone downhill.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 11,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Mary, you don't indicate which district your children go to so I can tell you what a friend did who was in your exact boat. Her daughter was in kindergarten with a very diverse class that was a nice mix of many ethnicities, and she was doing well and happy. By second grade she was a minority and by the start of third grade was the only white child in her class. Her parents were so concerned that they put her in private school. That was an expensive proposition but the solution to her being the only white child (not my words, those of her parents) The hand writing was on the wall and her family finally moved as the district is now almost 60% Asian (Indian, Chinese and Korean).

The changing demographic is a phenomena that is actually occurring all over the island just some areas are experiencing it at a faster rate than others. Hicksville used to be the apple of the aviation industry with Grumman as a huge component of the employable on LI. Today the face of Hicksville is largely Indian with markets, banks, clothing stores, beauty salons and the like all catering to the Indian population.

This change in neighborhoods is due to many different reasons and in all likelihood is not going to change as the baby boomers move away or die off. You may need to rethink your future in your neighbor if it has changed that much since you purchased your home.

Edited to add:
I am editing this because since I started to write you have added that you live in New Hyde park, the district I was speaking about was Herrick's

Thank you for your post. Yes Herrick's started to change a few years before my area. I am in the NHP district. My children are in 3rd and 4th grade they have friends and are involved in things in the neighborhood. They would be devastated if I took them out of the school they are in now. They only kow what they are used to. I have thought of private school after they graduate from this school which is K-6. I am ok with where I am family and work is close but just want to provide them with the best childhood I can. I am worried about moving because they are happy and content right now. If only had a crystal ball.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM

7,966 posts, read 9,180,543 times
Mary, what other areas are you considering moving to? NHP is not the only town that is becoming more and more diversified. The only Nassau town that isn't seeing a significant increase in minorities is Garden City, but most people can't afford to live there.

I can understand wanting to live where you feel like you belong. But, there are other things besides race that make you feel like part of a community.

Check out some other areas and see if you feel more connected to it.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,002,153 times
If you're "uncomfortable," move. It's just me but I laugh so hard at the white flight starting on LI. "We're a country of immigrants. We love immigrants." As long as they look and act like us or don't move too close or go to the same schools or open businesses that cater to their likes. There's always the shangri-la of the Louisiana-Texas border. They keep them foreigners out down there! As for Hicksville, I work there and the Indian population has clearly improved the heck out of the place. If we get Asian or Indian neighbors on my block, I'm ecstatic. Generally (as all things are based on the individual) smart, hard working, model Americans looking for the same dream as me.

Last edited by mongoose65; 09-05-2012 at 07:53 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM

283 posts, read 582,170 times
Every family in the boroughs, know about the herricks school district (And syosset, Jericho, plainview etc) Any area with an exceptional school district is going to change eventually. A lot of diverse families can quite easily afford the high prices of homes , and of course they want the best education for their children. I would say move, but it really depends on where you plan to go. Look at greatschools.net , it shows the ethnicity of student population

Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 AM

656 posts, read 1,062,373 times
Yeah I am a bit surprised, (well not really). When I think of white flight, I think of whites leaving an area due to an influx of blacks/hispanics and the neighborhood declines (several cases on Long Island).

However, given that many of Asians/Indians tend to put a very high priority on education, etc. I don't think you will see areas they come into that have been historically white change for the worst as is the case with the white to black transition. I have heard some say *they* crowd many into a home.......Is it that Indian faces/stores scare you?

I guess in a way, it would seem that there would be more inherent racism in discriminating against those who move into, say New Hyde Park vs. say Baldwin because I just don't see justifable reasons ala white flight with blacks. I am grossly generalizing here of course. I can see why (not saying I agree) people (whites) are nervous about an area like Baldwin with documented issues of crime and a school disrict in decline when many blacks move in.

This may be a somewhat unpopular opinion but it seems middle class areas like New Hyde Park/many of the South Shore towns which have been historically white tend to be much more unwelcoming to diversity than say, some of the North Shore/more expensive towns. Look at threads about minorities moving to say Wantagh, Levittown or Floral Park and they usually don't paint a pretty picture for those newcomers. It could be that since those areas are middle class that the whites there can't use *white flight* and escape to Manhasset or Brookville when *outsiders* come in, since they cannot afford to, so they are much more protective of *their* community.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,678,074 times
It will only benefit your children to keep them in a diverse neighborhood. Do you think that when they're grown up, they'll be going to college with and working with only white people?

This attitude really puzzles me. The world will only become less and less "white". I don't really understand the point in sheltering your children to keep them with "their own kind"

Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,341,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMary View Post
I am worried about raising my children in an area that seems to be changing. They have seen many children from school move out of our town. They love their school and I am very happy with their education so far. The neighborhood is still safe but the majority of people that move into the neighborhood are Indian, Asian or Spanish. Each year there are less and less white families. I think some diversity is great and I find different cultures interesting but I dont like being the minority. Any insight to raising children in this type of neighborhood?
Safety is your primary concern and you will know if its an issue soon. Secondly the Asian/Indian community in general are very tolerant and well mannered, also educated and reasonably well to do.
You have to define minority though.... 40% is technically a minority but is in no way a cause for concern IMO. I would say hangout for a couple of years and see what happens. If you feel the hood is getting trashy because of them, then I guess you can move, hey you never know, stick around and you may even see an improvement.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,747,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
If you're "uncomfortable," move. It's just me but I laugh so hard at the white flight starting on LI. "We're a country of immigrants. We love immigrants." As long as they look and act like us or don't move too close or go to the same schools or open businesses that cater to their likes. There's always the shangri-la of the Louisiana-Texas border. They keep them foreigners out down there! As for Hicksville, I work there and the Indian population has clearly improved the heck out of the place. If we get Asian or Indian neighbors on my block, I'm ecstatic. Generally (as all things are based on the individual) smart, hard working, model Americans looking for the same dream as me.
Take a different look at this.

Mormons in Utah. They're mostly white and they are American citizens. They are industrious and hard working; many are well educated. They are very Mormon community focused -- in fact in some areas, white non Mormons complain that it feels almost exclusionary. Mormon business people will tend to do business with a church member as opposed to a non Mormon, parents will arrange church-based activities for their children with other Mormon children.

The non Mormons tend to move away.

When a person lives in a place where another group becomes the majority, and things start changing to reflect the interests, needs, socialization of the majority group, the minority group might feel excluded, might find fewer and fewer stores/services catering to their needs, etc.

Look at areas like Flushing. Forty years ago there were Asian families there, but the store fronts were primarily in English and catered to many different ethnic groups. Now there are many Asian families and some non Asian, and a lot more shops with signs in both Chinese and English, and many more businesses catering especially to the Asian community.

Why is it terrible if a homeowner wishes to move to a community where he/she is with people who have a common bond? It is acceptable for wealthy people to live among other wealthy people. Within white communities Italians tend to gravitate toward one another. There are neighborhoods in Brooklyn which are largely Jewish and others Russian. Irish still hold onto Woodlawn in the Bronx. Within black communities Jamaicans tend to seek out other Jamaicans; likewise for the Haitans. Hispanics -- there is dissension between some Dominicans and Puerto Ricans -- some will not mingle with others.

People are free to move about where they wish (and can afford and feel comfortable). We accept that. The OP has accepted her new neighbors, but as she becomes the minority, has concerns about her children having a good childhood. Back track to the beginning of my post -- some white Mormon parents excluded white non Mormon children from their activities (such as birthday parties.) Is it at all possible that the OP is concerned that the increase in non white children might lead to her children being unintentionally (or intentionally) omitted from social activities because they aren't Indian, Asian, or 'Spanish'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies