Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 6,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
I was talking to a group of black friends about racism and discrimination and they told me something interesting. The popular perception is that most of the negative reaction towards black people is from racist White people. They say this is not true. Instead, the worst racism is from other people of color. Dark Skinned Blacks are openly discriminated against by light skinned blacks but perhaps the most racist group is Asian immigrants. They were never taught to be politically correct or sensitive and racism is quite common in their old countries. As more and more of American population comes from Asia and the Middle East African Americans will experience more racism that is quite blantent and extreme.

What can be done about immigrants who treat African Americans with contempt?
Hell yeah- Latinos and Blacks hate each other.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,744,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedUpMarla View Post
Hell yeah- Latinos and Blacks hate each other.

Tell that to my mom and dad.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,320,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Tell that to my mom and dad.
LMAO...not to mention that a lot of Latinos ARE BLACK!!!

It's like these idiots talking about how baseball lacks black players. I don't know what kind of TV screens they have.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,744,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...not to mention that a lot of Latinos ARE BLACK!!!

It's like these idiots talking about how baseball lacks black players. I don't know what kind of TV screens they have.
Exactly. My parents are both black. One is African American, the other Latina.

And yeah, there are plenty of black players in Major League Baseball. The fact that their colonial oppressors or slavemasters were Spanish and not North American/British matters not one bit.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,263,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
I was talking to a group of black friends about racism and discrimination and they told me something interesting. The popular perception is that most of the negative reaction towards black people is from racist White people. They say this is not true. Instead, the worst racism is from other people of color. Dark Skinned Blacks are openly discriminated against by light skinned blacks but perhaps the most racist group is Asian immigrants. They were never taught to be politically correct or sensitive and racism is quite common in their old countries. As more and more of American population comes from Asia and the Middle East African Americans will experience more racism that is quite blantent and extreme.

What can be done about immigrants who treat African Americans with contempt?
People with low self esteem are always going to try and put others down to make themselves feel better. There is racism against blacks or darker skinned people in part due to a lot of the negative stereotypes that whites have put out about blacks.

I was taking to a Chinese guy from Australia and he admitted that most of his thoughts about blacks came from what he saw on TV which was usually some negative portrayal of black people. We had a long discussion on this and it really changed his perceptions a lot. This is why it's very important that we have more positive representations of blacks and other minorities on TV. If all you see are negative things about a particular group that you have no history or background with, then of course you are going to believe negative stereotypes about that group because that's all you know. The average person is not going to go and educate themselves on another group, they will just get what they see in the media and run with it.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:12 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,263,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique27 View Post
They just want us to feel like we the most hated group in the world, so we can hate ourselves too..
Blacks are definitely not hated world wide. I do believe the person who posted this is questionable, but I've traveled overseas and met Asians, Indians, Sikhs, etc and had very positive interactions with them. I even dated a Chinese guy while I was overseas and he was very fascinated by me (in a cute way). Two of my best friends are from Korea also.

It's all in the person and how educated they are.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM

445 posts, read 867,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The only ones calling successful non-ghetto type blacks as sellouts or "Uncle Toms" are the non-successful ghetto type blacks. I have never heard any non-black person put down a successful non-ghetto black as a sellout or "Uncle Tom". Really, truly.

And that especially goes for Asians and whites imo. Having a good education and behaving like a civilized person is what it takes to be successful and productive in life. Behaving, looking and talking like street trash/gangsta thug is a loser lifestyle, no matter what ones skin colour is. So there is no reason at all for non-blacks to want to be around thuggie acting blacks, we would greatly prefer to be in contact with only the "sellout" and "Uncle Tom" type of black person, so why would we insult them for being the kind of blacks we want them to be?
I enjoy your posts Miu and I probably shouldn't! You say exactly what you feel whether it's PC or not.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,261,792 times
Many have readily bought into the myth of the "vast minority coalition". Truth is, most non-black minorities know their way around the American racial dichotomy quite well, and realize that ultimate social acceptance in America often hinges on the degree to which they are able distance themselves from the black region of that dichotomy. Ironically enough, whenever the need arises for them to advocate for things like equality and justice vis-a-vis their people, they almost always rely on the American black struggle to lend this advocacy moral legitimacy and support.

The conflicting notion that they are for the most part removed from the slavery/Jim crow narrative while at the same time trudging along in the same "boat of oppression" as blacks is probably a large part of what allows them to believe they are free to be unapologetically outspoken in their criticism and even bias against black Americans.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 PM

445 posts, read 867,196 times
[quote=MrSykes;26148405]Many have readily bought into the myth of the "vast minority coalition". Truth is, most non-black minorities know their way around the American racial dichotomy quite well, and realize that ultimate social acceptance in America often hinges on the degree to which they are able distance themselves from the black region of that dichotomy. Ironically enough, whenever the need arises for them to advocate for things like equality and justice vis-a-vis their people, they almost always rely on the American black struggle to lend this advocacy moral legitimacy and support.

The conflicting notion that they are for the most part removed from the slavery/Jim crow narrative while at the same time trudging along in the same "boat of oppression" as blacks is probably a large part of what allows them to believe they are free to be unapologetically outspoken in their criticism and even bias against black Americans.[/QUOTE

You're probably right. Miu's a trip!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,604,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Many have readily bought into the myth of the "vast minority coalition". Truth is, most non-black minorities know their way around the American racial dichotomy quite well, and realize that ultimate social acceptance in America often hinges on the degree to which they are able distance themselves from the black region of that dichotomy. Ironically enough, whenever the need arises for them to advocate for things like equality and justice vis-a-vis their people, they almost always rely on the American black struggle to lend this advocacy moral legitimacy and support.

The conflicting notion that they are for the most part removed from the slavery/Jim crow narrative while at the same time trudging along in the same "boat of oppression" as blacks is probably a large part of what allows them to believe they are free to be unapologetically outspoken in their criticism and even bias against black Americans.
You deserve a 10+ for this. Thing is many people see blacks at the bottom of the food chain, especially American Blacks. This is not just a white people thing either. I am not even going to lie, back in the day I overemphasized my Caribbean accent hoping it would improve my employment opportunities and even get me dates. Interesting thing is when other minorities get discriminated against they want Black Americans on their side and are always comparing their struggles to them. Many non-whites have bought into black inferiority complex worse than many whites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies