Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Obama Ask Willard About The "Temple Garments" During The Debate?
Yes, Willard should show that he is true to the religion, and let the american people know it's meaning 5 27.78%
No, people already know the mormons are wacky and this would just be "spiking the football" 6 33.33%
Other 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,957,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Under a month from now the first presidential debate will begin. Willard has been well known as being very actively involved in the mormon church for decades, but seems to keep it somewhat under the radar with just pushing christian faith to appeal to those on the right, but even the evangelicals consider the mormons on the level of worshiping satan.

Probably the oddest part of the religion is the "temple garments" (known as the magic underwear to most) which are to be worn all the times to protect them from "temptation and evil"

Now the question, should Obama bring it up during the debate?
Are you that uneducated to think this is what they are for......... Why don't you take a lesson before presenting something so foolish. President Obama never explained his Muslim attire now did he and none of you people cared, so why care what Mormons have done since being in America.

Gosh I can't believe you said what I bolded.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,827,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Are you that uneducated to think this is what they are for......... Why don't you take a lesson before presenting something so foolish.
It looks like you do, and class is in session

(On the temple garments AKA "magic underwear") "This symbolizes physical and spiritual purity. It fosters a mindset of continual obedience to the Lord, which is crucial in keeping the covenants entered into in the temple. Through such obedience, a person can find physical and spiritual protection. The Lord God is enabled to grant promised blessings, fulfilling His side of the temple covenants. Thus, the garment is sacred to the wearer not for what it is, but for what it represents. The garment helps the wearer to focus his or her life on Jesus Christ and to thereby lay claim to the blessings promised to those who do so."

From the LDS site itself Article on Mormon Underwear

Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
who cares, maybe we should also bring out his radical islamic teachings too. after all, tell it to the people enough and they might believe it. also remember, democrats and republicans do not and never shall elect presidents, independents do, if you cannot convince the independents to vote for your stooge, you will lose.
So did independents vote for McCain last time around when the Wright stuff was discussed?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,385,739 times
Yeah I think he should ask about it. I think a bunch of you lefties should organize a mass mailing insisting that Barack Obama ask Mitt about 'magic underwear' in the debate. Or maybe crazy uncle Joe could bring it up, maybe ask Ryan whether Mitt has talked to him about it yet.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,957,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It looks like you do, and class is in session

(On the temple garments AKA "magic underwear") "This symbolizes physical and spiritual purity. It fosters a mindset of continual obedience to the Lord, which is crucial in keeping the covenants entered into in the temple. Through such obedience, a person can find physical and spiritual protection. The Lord God is enabled to grant promised blessings, fulfilling His side of the temple covenants. Thus, the garment is sacred to the wearer not for what it is, but for what it represents. The garment helps the wearer to focus his or her life on Jesus Christ and to thereby lay claim to the blessings promised to those who do so."

From the LDS site itself Article on Mormon Underwear
It also says this......... For most people who wear it, the garment takes the place of regular underwear.
If this is a part of showing their commitment to God who are we to judge..........If it is part of their religion whats the big deal??

Is it different than this...........should this be brought up also??

Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 PM

174 posts, read 96,090 times
Default Should Obama Ask Willard About The "Temple Garments" During The Debate?

No - He should simply be asked the same question Bill Clinton was asked - Boxers or briefs.

He can always ask permission to explain.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,536,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Obama won't, nor should he. However, given that Romney is using his religion as an excuse to not release his tax returns, someone should ask him what other political decisions will be affected by his religion. That is definitely a fair question.
I can't believe you are a Catholic---I thought you said you were. Kennedy had to defend himself against the media going after his religion. Would he follow the Pope and turn our country over to the church. All nonsense. Now Romney needs to go through that trash? I sure hope not.

Let Romney release his tax returns when Obama releases his college transcripts and Reid releases his tax returns.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,286,096 times
Personally I don't care if Rommney wears a thong or his temple stuff. That is HIS business. If he wishes to apply Mormon rules to the US law I do care.

Religion and the stuff it insists is ordained as truth needs to say out of government.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,735,706 times
Forget the underwear. I'd like to hear more about the angel Moroni and the golden plates.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,536,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
So did independents vote for McCain last time around when the Wright stuff was discussed?
Hardy any news outlets reported on Wright. Most people didn't know anything about him. The lamestream media might have given it 19 seconds of attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies