Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

pad, why are you going on about the right ?

Rahm is a Democrat that won't cave into the unions.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM

876 posts, read 709,366 times
Padcrasher, go sell your hateful racism somewhere else. We are not buying. Even if someone wanted to argue rationally that unions are good, they can take one look at the stuff you're spewing and run away. Why do you think no one is backing you up? They don't want to be associated with you.

signed,
An independent, white, 36 year old, single mom.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok..better stop now. Chicago is a Dem city. Rahm is a Dem mayor. Rahm is not an "old White guy".

Rahm is a Dem. Dems love the union. So why are the teachers striking in Chicago ?

There's nothing "right winged" about this strike my friend.
You're too quick to post. This is Dems vs union now.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Looks like all that weed she smoked resulted in some mean munchies. I don't see why everyone can't see what a role model she obviously is.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:

Because he/she is too stupid to know or not honest enough to admit it.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Quote:

Yes I'm not disagreeing with you. Rahm is horrible. As I've stated over a year ago.

I told you I was generalizing. The GOP is 99% awful when it comes to helping workers.

I'm going to name names and put the blame where it mainly belongs with.....Right wing ideology.

Sorry, the right wing and their chosen politicians are not going to hide behind the fact there are bad Democrats.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:21 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,898 times
Quote:
Well your post mentioned right wing old White guys.
You realize that you are talking with irrational folks here..... there "my way or the highway" approach which results in "you hate everybody" type angry rants is what we all see here from liberals. Blind hatred by the Liberals as per usual toward educated folks like you and others who want what is best for the country.

What they don't understand is that unions, like many other things, need to be reformed so that the future generations can have any quality of life.

Of course, Democrats like we have seen here on this thread, only care about themselves and now

Old 09-11-2012, 04:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
They don't need a 16% pay increase at the expense of the children and the rest of their town. The unions don't care if the town goes bankrupt as long as they rake in more money. And the Republicans are the ones that are greedy.
Republicans are the ones that can actually do the math. LOL

Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM

200 posts, read 165,883 times
It's not all about pay. In fact, according to CNN, they're pretty close on reaching that aspect. It's also about air conditioning in the summer (year around schools in Chicago), healthcare, sick days, and less reliance on standardized testing for evaluations.

Look, teachers are not totally fairly compensated. For people that are looking after my children, I want them to not have to work nights and then are tired in the classroom. I want them to prepare in their downtime and not worry about how they will make rent. Yes of course evaluations are needed, but standardized tests are a horrible metric if used to such an extent. Some teachers in richer parts of town will automatically succeed regardless, since there are higher proportions of more experienced teachers, more educated parents that are involved, and private pre-school/tutoring. So it doesn't hold teachers to task in good districts, and it places monumental challenges for teachers in poorer districts which have less parental involvement, lower rates of pre-school/tutoring, lower rates of educated parents, and newer teachers. School evaluations are better since it is the same sample population and not relying on only test numbers, they're more comprehensive.

Pay is part of it, but it's not the whole thing. In fact, it's kind of the smaller issue. Evaluations are the big deal.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
It's not all about pay. In fact, according to CNN, they're pretty close on reaching that aspect. It's also about air conditioning in the summer (year around schools in Chicago), healthcare, sick days, and less reliance on standardized testing for evaluations.

Look, teachers are not totally fairly compensated. For people that are looking after my children, I want them to not have to work nights and then are tired in the classroom. I want them to prepare in their downtime and not worry about how they will make rent. Yes of course evaluations are needed, but standardized tests are a horrible metric if used to such an extent. Some teachers in richer parts of town will automatically succeed regardless, since there are higher proportions of more experienced teachers, more educated parents that are involved, and private pre-school/tutoring. So it doesn't hold teachers to task in good districts, and it places monumental challenges for teachers in poorer districts which have less parental involvement, lower rates of pre-school/tutoring, lower rates of educated parents, and newer teachers. School evaluations are better since it is the same sample population and not relying on only test numbers, they're more comprehensive.

Pay is part of it, but it's not the whole thing. In fact, it's kind of the smaller issue. Evaluations are the big deal.
The evaluations came from Obama's RTT. 33 states have gotten NCLB waivers and are going with RTT.
NYC teachers also have 40% of their evaluation based on student scores. Their union has sued.

This is Obama's education reform that everyone praised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies