Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times

Advertisements

Simple request. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
“I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America’s commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives.

I have directed my Administration to provide all necessary resources to support the security of our personnel in Libya, and to increase security at our diplomatic posts around the globe. While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants.

On a personal note, Chris was a courageous and exemplary representative of the United States. Throughout the Libyan revolution, he selflessly served our country and the Libyan people at our mission in Benghazi. As Ambassador in Tripoli, he has supported Libya’s transition to democracy. His legacy will endure wherever human beings reach for liberty and justice. I am profoundly grateful for his service to my Administration, and deeply saddened by this loss.

The brave Americans we lost represent the extraordinary service and sacrifices that our civilians make every day around the globe. As we stand united with their families, let us now redouble our own efforts to carry their work forward.”
Quote:
"I want people around the world to hear me: To all those who would do us harm, no act of terror will go unpunished," Obama said midday in Golden, just outside Denver. "It will not dim the light of the values that we proudly present to the rest of the world. No act of violence shakes the resolve of the United States of America."

Last edited by ambient; 09-13-2012 at 11:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,669 times
I'm not sure where you stand on this subject, but personally I am sick of the lackadaisical response the US has to these extremists. Stop sending billions of dollars to countries that despise us. It is time to be strong, not weak.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I'm not sure where you stand on this subject, but personally I am sick of the lackadaisical response the US has to these extremists. Stop sending billions of dollars to countries that despise us. It is time to be strong, not weak.
You mean all of those drone strikes that have killed record numbers of terrorist leadership are "lackadaisical?" Well, interesting. Maybe you should ask those dead terrorists about that.

But anyway. I just want to see this apology that everyone keeps talking about.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 AM

Hell, just to put it all out there... Here are Clinton's statements as well. Please point out where it apologizes for America and lets the bad guys off the hook.

Quote:
It is with profound sadness that I share the news of the death of four American personnel in Benghazi, Libya, yesterday. Among them were United States Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith. We are still making next of kin notifications for the other two individuals. Our hearts go out to all their families and colleagues.

A 21-year veteran of the Foreign Service, Ambassador Stevens died last night from injuries he sustained in the attack on our office in Benghazi.

I had the privilege of swearing in Chris for his post in Libya only a few months ago. He spoke eloquently about his passion for service, for diplomacy and for the Libyan people. This assignment was only the latest in his more than two decades of dedication to advancing closer ties with the people of the Middle East and North Africa, which began as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco. As the conflict in Libya unfolded, Chris was one of the first Americans on the ground in Benghazi. He risked his own life to lend the Libyan people a helping hand to build the foundation for a new, free nation. He spent every day since helping to finish the work that he started. Chris was committed to advancing America's values and interests, even when that meant putting himself in danger.
Sean Smith was a husband and a father of two, who joined the Department ten years ago. Like Chris, Sean was one of our best. Prior to arriving in Benghazi, he served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal and most recently The Hague.

All the Americans we lost in yesterday's attacks made the ultimate sacrifice. We condemn this vicious and violent attack that took their lives, which they had committed to helping the Libyan people reach for a better future.

America's diplomats and development experts stand on the front lines every day for our country. We are honored by the service of each and every one of them.
Quote:
“Let me state very clearly, and I hope it is obvious, that the United States government had absolutely nothing to do with this video,” Clinton said at a press conference in Washington.
“We absolutely reject its content and message. America’s commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation, and as you know, we are home to people of all religions, many of whom came to this country seeking the right to exercise their own religion, including of course, millions of Muslims, and we have the greatest respect for people of faith.”

“To us, to me personally, this video is disgusting and reprehensible,” she continued. “It appears to have a deeply cynical purpose — to denigrate a great religion and to provoke rage.”

“But as I said yesterday, there is no justification, none at all, for responding to this video with violence,” Clinton continued.

“We condemn the violence that has resulted in the strongest terms and we greatly appreciate that many Muslims in the United States and around the world have spoken out on this issue. Violence, we believe, has no place in religion and is no way to honor religion. Islam, like other religions, respects the fundamental dignity of human beings, and it is a violation of that fundamental dignity to wage attacks on innocents. As long as there are those who are willing to shed blood and take innocent life in the name of religion, in the name of God, the world will never know a true and lasting peace.”

“I know it is hard for some people to understand why the United States cannot or does not just prevent these kinds of videos from ever seeing the light of day,” she said.

“Now I would note that in today’s world with today’s technologies, that is impossible, but even if it were possible, our country does have a long tradition of free expression which is enshrined in our Constitution and our law, and we do not stop individual citizens from expressing their views, no matter how distasteful they may be. There are, of course, different views around the world about the outer limits of free speech and free expression, but there should be no debate about the simple proposition that violence around free speech is never acceptable.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:23 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,902 times
I believe the 'apology' refers to the very first responses from staff at the embassy in Cairo (via Twitter) - not any subsequent statements made by Clinton or Obama half a day later.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Here is the apology for the "appeaser" Obama

U.S. Says It Also Finds Film of Muhammad Offensive - NYTimes.com

administration offered the protesters support, saying of the cartoons, ''We find them offensive, and we certainly understand why Muslims would find these images offensive.''

Last edited by padcrasher; 09-14-2012 at 06:38 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Well, well. It looks like no one can point out the 'apology' Obama supposedly made. HAH!

As for your link, it took too long to load so I didn't read it, however, judging from the title of the article I would think that you consider Obama finding the film offensive equals an apology.

The president of the US, no matter who he or she is, governs all of the people in the country. There are many, many faiths living here. Would you prefer the president to abstain from saying this particular film was not offensive, but one making fun of, say, the jewish or christian or sihk or buddhist religion would be offensive?

Please, get a grip!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM

26,584 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

administration offered the protesters support, saying of the cartoons, ''We find them offensive, and we certainly understand why Muslims would find these images offensive.''
huh? that's from 2006.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Those are not original statements that came out.
The "original" statements came out after the Cairo attack which just ended up with a ripped US Flag.
The Libya attack which did involve US deaths came after the Cairo attack.

The US Egypt Embassy issued a statement and it WAS on their website. It has since been removed.
Where is the condemnation for the attack and damage to the Cairo Embassy ?

This is no longer on the Embassy website but has been copied enough on other sites that it still can be found.

"File not found"
http://egypt.usembassy.gov/pr091112.html

But here is what was there:
U.S. Embassy Condemns Religious Incitement September 11, 2012
The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, well. It looks like no one can point out the 'apology' Obama supposedly made. HAH!

As for your link, it took too long to load so I didn't read it, however, judging from the title of the article I would think that you consider Obama finding the film offensive equals an apology.

The president of the US, no matter who he or she is, governs all of the people in the country. There are many, many faiths living here. Would you prefer the president to abstain from saying this particular film was not offensive, but one making fun of, say, the jewish or christian or sihk or buddhist religion would be offensive?

Please, get a grip!
I'm making a note to myself that if anyone I know agrees with me they are technically apologizing. And if they don't agree with me, which would mean they aren't apologizing to me, I will never talk to them again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies