Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times

Advertisements

Most aren't buying gold they are buying a piece of paper saying they own said gold. Good luck with that.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Dick Cheney said to Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill: "You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due."

Japan has also proven that deficits don't matter.

Cheney Was Right About One Thing: Deficits Don't Matter
Oops, corrected link:

Cheney Was Right About One Thing: Deficits Don't Matter

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,358 times
I always laugh at the gold nuts that actually think in an end of the world as we know it scenario their gold is going to be worth anything.

If the stuff really hits the fan, the real value would be in items that can actually be used to stay alive. Items like antibiotics, painkillers, other medications, medical equipment, first aid supplies, generators, weapons, ammo, fuel, food, clothing, etc.

A bicycle would be more useful in a disaster situation than some gold bars or coins.

The gold hoarders will just have some shiny metal to look at while they starve to death in their caves.

Also, if gold was the superior investment that it is being touted as, why would companies be spending money advertising on talk radio to convince you to buy it? When the pros are spending thousands of dollars attempting to convince you to buy gold, any rational person would understand that they are being played for suckers.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Medications will be the most important thing to have in a SHTF scenario.

All the gold/silver buying is the same as the real estate bubble. Same thing being sold over and over again. When the time comes it will all crash and burn too and folks will be staring at their piece of paper wondering where their bar of gold is.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

All the gold/silver buying is the same as the real estate bubble. Same thing being sold over and over again. When the time comes it will all crash and burn too and folks will be staring at their piece of paper wondering where their bar of gold is.

You have options.
Rarely will someone like you or me, get the paper IOU.

It is those buying in very big quantities, that get certificates. To use as liquidity, when you want to trade, with them.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Precious metals are used t make medications. Silver makes antibiotics.

Making Colloidal Silver

Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Let me ask a question.

What did gold mean to the ancient Amercian Indians? Not much, it was a religious symbol, but for monetary goods, it meant nothing.

If the economy and the world collapses, and the population dies out to about a quater of its current size, gold won't mean a damned thing.

Learn a trade, provide a service that will always be in demand. Learn to brew beer, grow food, something like that.

There's your real stop gap against armageddon.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 AM

I have a 1,000 acre farm & grow 150,000 bushel of corn. I don't need or want anything you have to trade me. I will trade for Gold. Because Gold will buy me fuel, fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, machine parts, etc from any country on the planet. If you want to eat what I grow, you had better have Gold.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
I have a 1,000 acre farm & grow 150,000 bushel of corn. I don't need or want anything you have to trade me. I will trade for Gold. Because Gold will buy me fuel, fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, machine parts, etc from any country on the planet. If you want to eat what I grow, you had better have Gold.
You know how to brew your own beer? How to make your own liquor? Do you have sources of salt?

Lots of trade goods that are far more valued then gold.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You know how to brew your own beer? How to make your own liquor? Do you have sources of salt?

Lots of trade goods that are far more valued then gold.
Beer & salt will not make my tractor run. You would have to barter that stuff off for something I need. A common currency is a much more efficient way to barter/trade than using random goods that are perishable. There is no way to save a perishable item such as gas, food, beer, etc. I need to save for planting season or to get through failed crop years or health reasons or retirement. I need goods & services when I want them & not when you feel like trading around beer for pesticide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies