Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Beer & salt will not make my tractor run. You would have to barter that stuff off for something I need. A common currency is a much more efficient way to barter/trade than using random goods that are perishable. There is no way to save a perishable item such as gas, food, beer, etc. I need to save for planting season or to get through failed crop years or health reasons or retirement. I need goods & services when I want them & not when you feel like trading around beer for pesticide.

In societal collapse, nothing will make your tractor run. But if you have a ethanol vehicle, then that distilling liquor will make a vehicle run.

And if you don't have a means to make salt or find it, good luck, cause you'll die anyway. Heres another kicker, Beer keeps for longer then bread, and is more nutritious over a long period then most food stores. Its why men used to drink beer in the evenings, instead of eating food, because they could live on it.

You may think you know survival, maybe you've read a book or something, but long term survival at the end of the world doesn't have a damn thing to do with what you've mentioned. You can find food sources, you can grow your own, you don't need a 1000 acre farm, cause no one will be around to fight you for it.

It boils down to, can you survive long term. You need salt for that, distilling liquor can make a food source, and a trade good that most people will want, as well as an antespetic. Without salt, you might as well get ready to die. And beer can keep over long winters for long periods, and get you buy much better then baking breads and canning more vegetables.

Reality of survival. Gold won't buy you squat, when people are worried about food.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Gold is great and all but where will you trade it? and at what discount? If you trade shares then you don't really have gold. if you have te hard metal then you will need to convert it at some point., where and how much is it discounted?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
In societal collapse, nothing will make your tractor run. But if you have a ethanol vehicle, then that distilling liquor will make a vehicle run.

And if you don't have a means to make salt or find it, good luck, cause you'll die anyway. Heres another kicker, Beer keeps for longer then bread, and is more nutritious over a long period then most food stores. Its why men used to drink beer in the evenings, instead of eating food, because they could live on it.

You may think you know survival, maybe you've read a book or something, but long term survival at the end of the world doesn't have a damn thing to do with what you've mentioned. You can find food sources, you can grow your own, you don't need a 1000 acre farm, cause no one will be around to fight you for it.

It boils down to, can you survive long term. You need salt for that, distilling liquor can make a food source, and a trade good that most people will want, as well as an antespetic. Without salt, you might as well get ready to die. And beer can keep over long winters for long periods, and get you buy much better then baking breads and canning more vegetables.

Reality of survival. Gold won't buy you squat, when people are worried about food.
I was raised way out in the country. My parents only went to town to trade once a year around Christmas time. We lived off the land & nothing else. I know how to survive. Now with currency buying technology & energy we produce enough to feed thousands. I don't need to worry about going without. The thousands of you without Gold or common currency is who should worry. I need efficient trade to make me as productive as I can in order to feed you people. The same goes for a modern ethanol plant, grocery store, oil driller, refinery, equipment manufacturer, chemical company, etc. without that efficiency billions will starve to death.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Gold bullion is real, honest money...and, many say, the best form of money the world has ever known. It is a store of value and a safe haven in times of crisis. Gold is rare, durable and does not wear out in the manner of lesser metals (or paper!) when passed from hand to hand. A small amount, easily carried, can purchase a significant amount of goods and services. It is universally accepted, and can be easily bought and sold around the world.
Today, the beauty of a gold bar lies in its ability to diversify investments, protect wealth and preserve one's purchasing power.

Closed @ $1769 today.

Will open tomorrow much higher.

Using inflation to buy the debt they created, only hurts the poor and middle classes.

They have been doing it for decades. Just this time, there is no productivity to fall back on. It has all left and gone to China & Indonesia.
Better git on over to glenn's house then, I heard he's got a basement full of the stuff.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:01 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Gold is great and all but where will you trade it? and at what discount? If you trade shares then you don't really have gold. if you have te hard metal then you will need to convert it at some point., where and how much is it discounted?
I propose a gold peso.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
You must pay 3% more for items using a credit or debit card. Gold is 2% or less. You can buy gas, food, etc with gold at many places. You can't drive through any business district & not find a gold dealer or business selling goods for gold.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Where have you found a dealer who sells gold at only 2% above the price he paid for it, KrazyKrewe?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 PM

Outrage as gas cash-credit gap reaches $1

Last edited by KrazeeKrewe; 10-20-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
The most successful investor in the USA Warren Buffett is paying early termination penalties to exit the muni bond market!!!

"36 times as many municipal defaults over the past 40 years as the conventional wisdom suggests."..."Moody’s Investors Service has reported that from 1970 to 2011, there were only 71 municipal bond defaults. But the Fed report counted 2,521 defaults in that time."

I guess all that bond paper will keep you warm for a couple of minutes when you light them on fire. Maybe you can eat them for fiber although the ink on them may not be so good.

The Federal Reserve already started open ended QE3! They plan to print money for at least 3 more years!
Warren Buffet sees a surge in the economy. All the signs are there for the Markets. Bonds do not do well in an emerging marketplace.Stocks are where it's at......now!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 PM

There is a huge bond bubble that is about to pop unless the Fed bails them all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies