Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM

3,542 posts, read 3,744,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Thanks for your permission budgetlord but I think I'll stick with American, a lot less typing.
Would you call on others to also use one term?: American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,921,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Whogo, my brother, white boy is derogatory and implies an incompetent white male who is a boy, who is...not yet a man. Okay with that terminology?
Yep, just fine with it.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 PM

37,157 posts, read 19,271,375 times
My wife's uncle was Syrian until he made money. Then he magically transformed and became Lebanese.

According to the Human Genome Project, we all originated from a tribe in Africa. We are all African-American here.

Also, don't forget that whites will be a minority in America in the next twenty years or so.

Last edited by cuebald; 09-16-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,410,798 times
I agree with the poster who indicated that a hyphenated American only makes sense if it is someone of first or second generation, maybe. Nearly all Americans, including white Americans, are mixed with other nationalities or ethnicities. And, alao, if a German-American or Italian-American goes to Europe, the natives can pinpoint you as an American almost immediately.

There is only one American and that is American.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,888,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have been in Alaska for so long, I think I will start referring to myself as transparent.
Yeah, when I lived in Seattle, I was a Translucent American I remember my ex (Asian) being shocked and somewhat horrified that she could see the veins under my skin so easily...

Now that I'm in CA, I'm "white" again. I don't tan well; the bulk of my ethnic heritage is Swedish, so I basically have two modes: pale, and burnt. After the burn, I have a nice, light tan for like three days.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM

264 posts, read 266,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have been in Alaska for so long, I think I will start referring to myself as transparent.
How about Frozen-American?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,485,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
And, alao, if a German-American or Italian-American goes to Europe, the natives can pinpoint you as an American almost immediately.
That may be true with many Americans in Europe, but not all. I used to live in Germany for several years, I am familiar with their culture and I can speak, read, and write German better than some Germans, including different dialects of German.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with the language and culture of a country is going to stand out among everyone else, not just Americans.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:04 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,995,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworneveragain View Post
Not all white people have European origin. We already have nonsense called "African-American" which for some reason discriminates against such Africans as Egyptians like all of Africa was Black.
Not all real Africans are black and many are white, as in Euro white.. or English White.

The whole thing stinks. Just be Americans.....

And if it comes to Govt and LAW then i will be forced to be Scot-American and when it happens i will want my own colleges and everything else the NAACP has. At Govt expense.

We can have Happy Kilt Day and making claymore sword day, and even dance over the pond day

Old 09-16-2012, 02:09 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I see these groups discuss their European ancestry but they do not seem to want to use the hyphenated terms. I think there is an important difference in that distinction.
Last week here in Chicago they had German American day.

United German-American Societies of Greater Chicago: Home Page

Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,485,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Not all real Africans are black and many are white, as in Euro white.. or English White.

The whole thing stinks. Just be Americans.....

And if it comes to Govt and LAW then i will be forced to be Scot-American and when it happens i will want my own colleges and everything else the NAACP has. At Govt expense.

We can have Happy Kilt Day and making claymore sword day, and even dance over the pond day
That is fine, but I have to draw the line at playing the bagpipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies