Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,351,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Count for what?

Undecided could be anything from "It depends upon the circumstances" to "I'm currently doing my grocery shopping. TTYL".

It's not a "black and white issue".

That being said, I'm all for "Freedom of Speech". Just not "Freedom from consequences of said speech".
I think these numbers came from a Rasmussen poll that I thought I had posted here but can't seem to find. The question was do you favor protection of freedom of speech over being PC with Muslims. Maybe that would mean something to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I believe I voted in that poll, and I voted for Freedom of Speech.

Which doesn't mean that I don't think that those of us who enjoy freedom of speech shouldn't exercise our freedom responsibly.
When we raise our children, we teach them that as they get older, and enjoy greater freedom, that they also have greater responsibilities. When they don't behave responsibly, we often punish them by taking away some of their freedom. As a culture, we connect freedom and responsibility.

Except when it doesn't suit our political positions, I guess. Which is terribly sad.
If the question didn't concern the "movie" the administration is using as an excuse for the Muslim world exploding, you didn't take part in that poll.

Here is what I think are the results of the OP.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...other_cultures

Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Seems like Americans are all in agreement. Where is Obama?
I don't think that many, if any, who have responded to you have seen your link. Surely some to them would have intimated they knew something about it if they had. I have to rep your post though, if for no other reason I read the link.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,968,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I see part of the problem here is perhaps the idea that you might believe that displaying a small Christmas tree on your desk as spewing hate. No?

If not, you need to be far more clear about what you are talking about.
Puggal was perfectly clear.

Your assertion about a small Christmas tree had nothing to do with Puggal's comment.

Let's try again.

If someone supports free speech, that doesn't mean they support hate speech. They may tolerate hate speech, but they don't have to support it.

And if they don't support hate speech, that doesn't mean that they don't support free speech.

Because free speech and hate speech are not the same thing.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,511,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I agree with you, but one correction: Cinco de Mayo isn't the Mexican Independence Day, it's a commemoration of the Battle of Puebla - Mexico's Independence Day was actually yesterday (Sep 16).
Urbanlife78 is partially correct, Cinco de Mayo did not become popular outside of the Chicano movement until the 1980s when the beer companies (primarily Corona) began promoting the holiday to sell their beer. Even though it has been celebrated by Latinos since 1863 in the US.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM

I think it is past time for everyone here to go back and read the link the OP provided and then try to get back to the topic he started.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,968,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If the question didn't concern the "movie" the administration is using as an excuse for the Muslim world exploding, you didn't take part in that poll.

Here is what I think are the results of the OP.

72% Put Freedom of Speech Ahead of Not Offending Other Cultures - Rasmussen Reports™
I took part in the poll.

AND I stand by my comments.

I support free speech. I also support the connection between freedom and responsibility. That so many of you are supporting free speech without a component of responsibility is astonishing. Because the connection between the two IS a part of our culture. As I pointed out, we actively teach our children that freedom isn't just a right, that freedom is a choice. Like all choices that one makes, one must exercise responsibility for one's choices. The choice in regards to this movie isn't putting freedom of speech ahead or second to not offending other cultures. Sometimes people will be offended by the exercise of free speech. The choice in regards to this movie is the intent of the people who put this offensive, translated-into-Arabic, movie clip on Youtube and then took pains to make sure that people in the Middle East with access to the internet got to see the clip. Was the intent to simply say that the founder of Islam was a sexual pervert? Or was the intent to say to the followers of Islam that their founder was a sexual pervert? There is a difference, here. One is to express an opinion, the other is to provoke and insult the followers of a religion. That difference reflects on the filmmakers' sense of responsibility. And if their intent wasn't to provoke what they had to anticipate was a violent response, then why did they translate the clip into Arabic? The English-speaking clip had been on Youtube for months. It didn't provoke anything. So why translate THE CLIP into Arabic, and then have a network of posters bring it to the attention of Islamic people living in the Middle East?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM

24,089 posts, read 15,200,084 times
That's a dumb poll. How could the USA make sure nothing is done to offend other nations?

The Feds can't keep up with what's already on their plate, much less monitoring everything anybody says or does? Does not matter who the POTUS is. The premise of the poll is flawed.

The government cannot make sure we do not offend our mother's-in- law, much less somebody thousands of miles away.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Puggal was perfectly clear.

Your assertion about a small Christmas tree had nothing to do with Puggal's comment.
I'm impressed that you can speak for him (or her).

Quote:
Let's try again.

If someone supports free speech, that doesn't mean they support hate speech. They may tolerate hate speech, but they don't have to support it.

And if they don't support hate speech, that doesn't mean that they don't support free speech.

Because free speech and hate speech are not the same thing.
And I asked what they were classifying as free speech and which you did nothing to clarify.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:00 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't think that many, if any, who have responded to you have seen your link. Surely some to them would have intimated they knew something about it if they had. I have to rep your post though, if for no other reason I read the link.
I am not sure that a poll based upon the false accusations of others is real valuable. I would have preferred to have seen a poll asking people about what they thought of our soldiers still being in Muslim countries with no explanation as to why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies