Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,486,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You picked up on that like I did. Not that over 70% believe in our freedoms but that there is a group that is NOT that small that believe we should give up our freedoms. That should worry people more.
Oh and believe me, for people with half a brain, it does! Very clear to see what is happening, no rocket scientist needed to figure this one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,683,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Actually I've worked with a large number of black people in the last five years and they're not the ones kicking up a fuss about being offended at work, at least the places I've worked.

Here's the groups I've seen gripe the most:

Christians/political conservatives (war on Christmas, etc., most of it total BS)
Mothers (some legit, some BS)
People over 50 (most of it legit)
Latinos (most of it BS)
Gays (most of it legit)
Indians (most of it BS)

Of all of those groups, the right-wing Christians, mommies, and Indians are the easiest to offend. My black co-workers had the same grievances that anyone else had...crappy pay, crappy insurance, crappy work-life balance, crappy commute, etc. Basically...'white people' gripes.
I'm a victim of that "War on Christmas" from over PC-ness.
I am the one that hangs christmas decorations in the halls and on people's doors in December.
I kept it secular..Santa, Christmas trees, garland, sleigh bells, etc. Gave a nice cheer to our aisle and I got a lot of complements over it.

Then one year a guy comes up to me and says.."You don't have any Hannakuh decorations." I was slightly taken back because I kept religion out of this. But I did tell him to bring in his Hannakuh decorations and put them up on the walls alongside mine and there was plenty of room. He never did.

Then the next year we get a memo from corporate.."No decorations in the halls or on your doors. We are a diverse company and need to be tolerant of others who work here." We could only put decorations on our desk.

I was so bummed out. Halloween and Christmas were my favorite decorating holidays.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,021,189 times
Quote:
I am the one that hangs christmas decorations in the halls and on people's doors in December.
I kept it secular..Santa, Christmas trees, garland, sleigh bells, etc. Gave a nice cheer to our aisle and I got a lot of complements over it.

Then one year a guy comes up to me and says.."You don't have any Hannakuh decorations." I was slightly taken back because I kept religion out of this. But I did tell him to bring in his Hannakuh decorations and put them up on the walls alongside mine and there was plenty of room. He never did.

Then the next year we get a memo from corporate.."No decorations in the halls or on your doors. We are a diverse company and need to be tolerant of others who work here." We could only put decorations on our desk.

I was so bummed out. Halloween and Christmas were my favorite decorating holidays.
That's a shame.

We have a Christmas tree in my dept at work. The boss puts out craft supplies and everyone that wants to can make an ornament and hang it on the tree. We had a new employee this year, a Jewish guy. He made one of the best ornaments, it had a beautiful Star of David on it. He was very proud of it.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,282,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
About 20% of Americans describe themselves as liberals, connect the dots.
Wow, seriously? Then I wonder how Republicans lose elections if there are only 20% of Americans that describe themselves as liberal....I mean, if you are just gonna make things up, could you at least try harder than this?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Well you do work for a private company I assume and I it is up to that private company to decide what the rules are about these things...so, this is just capitalism at work, letting the private sector decide what is right for itself.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
That's a shame.

We have a Christmas tree in my dept at work. The boss puts out craft supplies and everyone that wants to can make an ornament and hang it on the tree. We had a new employee this year, a Jewish guy. He made one of the best ornaments, it had a beautiful Star of David on it. He was very proud of it.
The so called policies are not a reflection of what the people want.
Most people love the decorations. Heck..they wanted me to move to an office on their aisle just for the annual decorations I did I was with the company for over 20 years and did this. Only in the past 5-6 years did it start to become an issue.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well you do work for a private company I assume and I it is up to that private company to decide what the rules are about these things...so, this is just capitalism at work, letting the private sector decide what is right for itself.
But for 15 of the 20 years I was there, this was not an issue. It has nothing to do with "capitalism" because the same PC crap is going on in schools with the sensitivity to holidays so no decorations.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Wow, seriously? Then I wonder how Republicans lose elections if there are only 20% of Americans that describe themselves as liberal....I mean, if you are just gonna make things up, could you at least try harder than this?
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
But for 15 of the 20 years I was there, this was not an issue. It has nothing to do with "capitalism" because the same PC crap is going on in schools with the sensitivity to holidays so no decorations.
Well you are still in a private company so basically "tough luck." you don't own that business or run that business and you are just a worker who can always be replaced.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:50 AM

24,089 posts, read 15,200,084 times
IMO, many people are confused about our freedom of speech. It means the government, any government including state, and local, cannot restrict what a person says.

It doesn't included families, work or social situations. There is the right to speak your mind and then, there are good manners. I was raised that blowing one's nose while in the company of others was offensive. So we all go to a private place for personal hygiene.

Same thing with bare feet. Some people don't want to look at others bare feet. I never thought about religion, just manners.

Consideration of others has almost vanished from view. It can be seen in the way we drive, behave at ballgames and movies, and use our communication devices. My friend has season tickets to the Texans, 50 yard line 3 row. The ticket holders in front of them stand up the entire game. My friend must have paid a fortune for those tickets and they can't even see the field. The folks standing have been implored by all those around them to please sit, but they refuse.

I would never forfeit freedom of speech. I will always support consideration of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies