Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM

855 posts, read 1,172,829 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or does anyone else feel like they're watching a Captain Planet cartoon anytime conservatives talk about assaulting the earth to pillage for more oil?

Just one question, is it the fear of change, fear of being like Europe, lack of knowledge about renewable energy, or all of the above that have people scared of renewable energy? Building wind turbines, solar panels, etc. also create jobs (possibly in tons of places too), so why is the answer always "drill to create jobs"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
......as to why you leave out the fact that it is high prices that have made many of these locations so presently desirable when they weren't so desirable when prices for natural gas weren't as high.
The advancements in vertical well technology has made it cheaper to exploit these resources. Fracking isn't

Quote:
And while you are at it, perhaps you might like to thread into the issue of when prices drop too far for the taste of certain natural resource extractors that supply seems to run a little shorter... well at least until those prices rise again.
I'd agree, the prices are going to come back up but with large and stable supply they are going to settle at a much lower rate than before. There is reason coal prices have historically been so low and stable, plentiful supply that can be extracted at a low cost. Natural gas is in the same boat. It's going to be interesting to see where they go this winter because as we head into the colder months the on hand supply is getting back to more realistic levels, this graph is better indicator of supply:

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Building wind turbines, solar panels, etc. also create jobs (possibly in tons of places too), so why is the answer always "drill to create jobs"???
At the cost of many other jobs usually high paying ones. The government of Spain after criticizing a report that 2 jobs were lost for every green job that was created ultimately conclude it was right on the money. A lot of the manufacture of renewable products is overseas, China builds a coal plant every week or two to power their industry including the manufacture of expensive solar panels to sell to us. The manufacturing process is where the real jobs are. FYI the numbers the government gives out are inflated as well, oil lobbyist amongst many other titles falls under "green job" .

Darrell Issa explores the Obama administration definition of Green Jobs - June 7, 2012 - YouTube

Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,911 times
First party to endorse production of Natural Gas and Nuclear in the short term with large funding to go to Renewables in the Long Term (Solar, Wind, Tidal, etc...) will have my support energy wise.

We need to dump the oil economy ASAP (let China be stuck with it) so we can get out of Middle East security issues and stablize the economy from oil shocks, which will only get worse over time.

I would support coal production if it would speed up us dumping oil in the short term, but in the long term I don't think "clean coal" is feasible in cost to where solar and natural gas will end up within a decade. However, looking at using coal to create new fuels (like the new jet fuel the USAF is working on) I would support within reason.

Oh and if the first commercial fusion reactor isn't built in this country, it will be a sad day.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
looking at using coal to create new fuels (like the new jet fuel the USAF is working on) I would support within reason.
Unless it was restarted that was scrapped by the Obama administration and probably rightly so at the time because oil prices had dropped dramatically. Ultimately it should be invested in but the largest issue there is the volatile oil market. Right now they could make it for the equivalent of about $50 a barrel but if you have situation like you did in '08 your product is no longer anywhere near competitive. At some point in time private investment will become more desirable to investors but right now it's very risky. The only way you'll see any investment in it is if the goverment were to guarantee them a set price which would be far below the cost of conventional oil right now, good luck with that.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Is it me, or does anyone else feel like they're watching a Captain Planet cartoon anytime conservatives talk about assaulting the earth to pillage for more oil?

Just one question, is it the fear of change, fear of being like Europe, lack of knowledge about renewable energy, or all of the above that have people scared of renewable energy? Building wind turbines, solar panels, etc. also create jobs (possibly in tons of places too), so why is the answer always "drill to create jobs"???
Quit pickin' on 'em willya, drill baby drill is all they know, it's not their fault they're stupid, they were raised that way be neo-con parents.

The RW loves cheap energy no matter how it ruins the environment.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Quit pickin' on 'em willya, drill baby drill is all they know, it's not their fault they're stupid, they were raised that way be neo-con parents.

The RW loves cheap energy no matter how it ruins the environment.
This from someone citing radiation as a concern about coal usage. LOLOLOL

Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,702 times
And this is not what progressives advocate and support, when it comes to ever-increasing central government? Here is what improves the country, economic growth. The best way - for both citizens and tax growth - to get that is have businesses and industries that are growing. The explosion in natural gas exploration, development and production, whether for export, or domestic consumption, is the best way to get that kind of growth.

No, this green meme is regressive, not progressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I can't believe people don't get the difference between giving industry free rein to do whatever it damn well pleases and improving the country

BTW, I know the difference between ENERGY and gasoline, perhaps you'll now explain how catering in ways such as reduced environmental regulations, access to public lands, etc., to the energy industry will benefit the entire country?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Private business settle deploys assets, (that is economic talk for spend money), in ventures that will not have good ROI. If they did, then you'd see the frequent headlines associated with the Obama administration's failed green push.

This administration has been particularly bad at asset allocation - spending money - on failed ventures, but government in general is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I guess what I don't understand in terms of drilling is what incentive would oil companies have to put a larger supply of oil on the market. Wouldn't this drive down the price of oil and eat into their profits?

Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Well dang! That is what businesses are about, making money. No business is going to sell when they can't make money, or invest in devlopment of a product - searching, developing and extracting in this case - when they can't have a ROI. So, your point is, that we should govern how much profit companies make, or dictate that they produce, (whatever), evn if they can't make their ROI target?

These 'oil' companies are not evil. They are simply running a business, profitably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Coalman, while I generally respect your posts on this issue... I hasten to point out that all of this natural gas that everyone is so eager to exploit wasn't created yesterday as a result I am curious as to why you leave out the fact that it is high prices that have made many of these locations so presently desirable when they weren't so desirable when prices for natural gas weren't as high.

And while you are at it, perhaps you might like to thread into the issue of when prices drop too far for the taste of certain natural resource extractors that supply seems to run a little shorter... well at least until those prices rise again.

The graph you didn't include:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies